Discussion - Hiatus X Hiatus | Page 29 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, for the most part, even if they are sympathetic, all of our four mains are not exactly heroes.

Kurapica is a killer, gon is very egoistic (most specificly, but not only, see the komugi case), Kurapica is driven by revenge.
Well, Leorio is really the closest to being heroic, i mean he wants to be a doctor to help People, he is just dorky. The only antiheroic things he did or wanted to do was beating that old woman to death in the hunter exam, he DOES get angry easily.

However, Kurapica, no matter how driven for revenge, didnt sacrifice his friends in the York new arc, sooo...out of the 4, i really see gon as the most antiheroic of them all.

If gon had been in Kurapica's Situation in York new, i think he would have been less considerate than kurapica was.

TheWanderer

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, for the most part, even if they are sympathetic, all of our four mains are not exactly heroes.

Kurapica is a killer, gon is very egoistic (most specificly, but not only, see the komugi case), Kurapica is driven by revenge.
Well, Leorio is really the closest to being heroic, i mean he wants to be a doctor to help People, he is just dorky. The only antiheroic things he did or wanted to do was beating that old woman to death in the hunter exam, he DOES get angry easily.

However, Kurapica, no matter how driven for revenge, didnt sacrifice his friends in the York new arc, sooo...out of the 4, i really see gon as the most antiheroic of them all.

If gon had been in Kurapica's Situation in York new, i think he would have been less considerate than kurapica was.
To be fair Killua isn't a killer that was because he was under the influence of his brother and once that bug that was attached to him broke he regained his free will. His killing intent that we thought was because Killua couldn't control who he was wasn't his fault but rather the fault of his brother that wanted Killua to be a boy that was logical and knew when to run away. That the fear that woudl be natural when knowing you are up against something you can't defeat and as assassins they are taught not only to fight in the shadows but to also not take on target head on that they have no hope against.

Killua was influenced by Gon to understand that that wasn't the life he wanted to live and it was with Gon's help that he found out who he wanted to be however because his brother always had a hold over his emotions it wasn't until pretty much midway through the ant arc that Killua finally regained his free will and it showed in the following arc because he didn't kill anyone and he didn't give into fear over the situation or feeling like he was going up against more than he could handle. He not onyl stood up to his own family but he bested his brother and saved his brother/sister from the isolated life they had been living.

And honestly when you think of it like that it is very interesting to consider the characters that Togashi made that in a way reflect differnetly based on their outward appearances.

Killua=Killer at heart but in reality is someone who wishes to live a normal life, have friends and honestly not follow in his family's footsteps and be his own man

Gon=Carefree individual but drawn into darkness and revenge over their own guilt and regret over their friends getting hurt because of his own shortcomings

Kurapica=a meak timid looking person that at face value would look like a friendly person but is haunted by the tragedy of his clans demise and is only fueled by revenge as a reason for living

Leorio=face value a person who seems very materialistic that only thinks about money and you would think is greedy but in reality is a person who wishes to save those that could not be saved because of lack of money and wishes to use his knowledge to save people from the past he had to face of being unable to save his friend.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I agree with you about the differences between presentation of our mains and their actual self, but i think it isnt exactly the way you put it about kuraica:

We know kurapica is not exactly a timid and meek peson from chapter 2 where he was perfectly willing to duel with leorio for some bad words.

The thing we didnt get right about kurapica at first was that he is not as level headed as he appears to be, but there is a beast hidden inside him which goes beyond his usually very strict and conequential character.

I think that will become exspecially clear in this arc. We still need to know why kurapica didnt try to help gon tho he gotleorio's calls. Probably the revenge business i just his priority.

This isn't how I exspected him to become after the york new arc. He seemed to start to value friends moreagain and find meaning besides revenge. But, as it looks now, it didnt end up like that.

For the other chars, their difference betqeen their presentation and their actual self are quite obvious.
Leorio was inroduced as th usual bully type of guy who cares for nothing but himself, starts to insult people quickly and so on. This is not exactly wrong, but we got the 'jerk with a heart of gold' aspect really quickly, and later the fact that he wants to help people by being a doctor.

Killuah was introduced as a character with no qualms about killing who we quickly knew starts to get very dangerous when he makes his killer eyes and who let the other characters know he is strong enough to kill them all.
However, Killuah ended up as the most ympathetic main, constantly struggling in his friendship with gon, his relatinoship to his family and other issues like inferiority complexes.

For Gon, i do not think i have to say anything to a person who has read the chimera ant arc :p
There were other signs of that, too, tho.
Like, when he spared binolt, for example. I know that this also linkens him to gin, who started to trust razor, but it still gav us an idea about how gon is willing to put personal feelings over the good of others.

Togashi like to play with experiences. We got the same thing, for example, witht he royal guards.
Who woul've exspected pouf to be the carziest one of them while yuupi was rather reasonable?

duerlin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Despite being amazing how Togashi plays with the usual shonen plots we still have not seen any dramatic irreversible change in any main character. GI and Chimera Ant(with the election add-on) arcs were a mixture of tragedy and rebirth(or reset).

This next DC arc can be Leorio's chance of an epic death and Kurapika's path to a deeper darkness. I don't know how many years will Togashi still devote to this manga but I think we can expect at least an aftermath of the DC arc possibly with Killua/Alluka, a Genei Ryodan/Kurapika one and a final Gon one. While I remember reading that Kurapika and Killuah had the best chance to become villains, my bet now on this possible plot would be Gon. And I think that would be amazing for a final arc.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Despite being amazing how Togashi plays with the usual shonen plots we still have not seen any dramatic irreversible change in any main character. GI and Chimera Ant(with the election add-on) arcs were a mixture of tragedy and rebirth(or reset).

This next DC arc can be Leorio's chance of an epic death and Kurapika's path to a deeper darkness. I don't know how many years will Togashi still devote to this manga but I think we can expect at least an aftermath of the DC arc possibly with Killua/Alluka, a Genei Ryodan/Kurapika one and a final Gon one. While I remember reading that Kurapika and Killuah had the best chance to become villains, my bet now on this possible plot would be Gon. And I think that would be amazing for a final arc.
Why should Leorio die when he has been absent for years despite his status of main character? There are more than enough people who can die already, Kurapika and Leorio won't die for sure, not at this point at least.

duerlin

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Why should Leorio die when he has been absent for years despite his status of main character? There are more than enough people who can die already, Kurapika and Leorio won't die for sure, not at this point at least.
Because:
a) No matter how many Zodiacs die, we won't care. At least not until we start liking them and they are not interesting enough yet.
b) Togashi either keeps the dark pace or turns HH into manga where death means nothing and rollbacks are cheap
c) He is not fit to the DC
d) Pitou was not a main character, lasted one arc and its hole was more enjoyable than Leorio so far. Kurapika climax in the series probably won't be nice too. At least if Togashi keeps his pace.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I disagree.
While i would not put it beyond togashi to kill off a main character, it definitely won't be leorio.

I think Togashi himself has fun using kurapica and leorio again.
He will enjoy that for a while. I could rather see gon dying to give gin a much darker shade than leorio dying. It would be the ballsiest move i have seen yet in manga to have pariston kill gon to finally win over gin. But i doubt that this will happen.

I see some of the zodiac dying, yes and a lot of the minor characters which were just introduced.
The DC arc promises to be as gory as york new if not more (at least the fourth prince promises me that).

But killing off leorio or kurapica would kinda make the manga less enjoyable. It is fun seeing them together again, even if we didn't get a lot of chapters.

After the boat arc and at the end of the DC arc i could see kurapica or leorio dying tho, depending on what happens in that arc.

Whoever, my hope is on Kurapica drifting deeper into darkness and leorio pulling him out of that, i like to keep it optimistic.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Because:
a) No matter how many Zodiacs die, we won't care. At least not until we start liking them and they are not interesting enough yet.
b) Togashi either keeps the dark pace or turns HH into manga where death means nothing and rollbacks are cheap
c) He is not fit to the DC
d) Pitou was not a main character, lasted one arc and its hole was more enjoyable than Leorio so far. Kurapika climax in the series probably won't be nice too. At least if Togashi keeps his pace.

a) speak for yourself... the zodiacs were an interesting bunch... if leorio does die, it would be the first zodiac death we witness in the manga... whom exactly are you referring to as we here? I am definitely not one of them, i want to see action of each of the zodiacs

b) No, togashi does anything he wants... all the arcs have been unique and the new arc will be too. my guess is it will focus on the hunters becoming survivors type part, hunter gets hunted scenario.... very few unimportant characters died except chimera arc where most were reborn

c) who is? its completely unexplored area and limited knowledge exists... leorio being a doctor might actually a good fit in the requirement. i guess only a freec is (pun intended)

d) Leorio wasnt given enough importance, i understand that. but he is the comic relief of the group. The story has covered Gon+Killua a bit too much so far who display an example of nearly perfect friendship. Leorio+kurapica are different that way, and neither being the protagonist will get less attention. But I am sure the purpose of this arc is to bring back some glory before all the 4 unite.

DC will be the place you see the best of Leorio. He already had one of the coolest moments in the manga (Gin punch).. He will help balance Kurapica in extreme situations and display some amazing medical nentricks...

duerlin

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
With Pariston and Ging exception, all the Zoadiacs seem one-sided characters. At the moment they seem just redshirts, lamb waiting to be slaughtered. Kurapica, a novice hunter, is kicking ass and shining among the supposed top 10 inside association.

Leorio is pretty similar to Kuwabara from YHH and due to that has the tendency of being put into a "noble sacrifice" scenarios. The theory behind that is I don't think we can expect many more arcs. In 15 years we had 4 major arcs (Exam, York Shin, GI, Chimera Ants) and a minor one (Election), so with current pace we could expect a complete arc each 5y and a maximum of 3 major arcs. So if Togashi really intends to finish the manga, it would be reasonable that more loose ends are settled than created from now on. The DC arc is promissing to be as dark or more than the Chimera`s, so my guess is that something bad will happen to a main character and that will be the trigger to the next arc. Thou I expect the Scarlet Eyes issue to be solved on this arc, Kurapica would still have his vegeance against the Genei Ryodan to settle. Therefore my bet is on Leorio to suffer from a terrible fate, not necessarily death as the DC can deliver worst destinies. Moreover, Kurapika may have responsability in that. All above assuming a non-happy ending ofc.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
With Pariston and Ging exception, all the Zoadiacs seem one-sided characters. At the moment they seem just redshirts, lamb waiting to be slaughtered. Kurapica, a novice hunter, is kicking ass and shining among the supposed top 10 inside association.

Leorio is pretty similar to Kuwabara from YHH and due to that has the tendency of being put into a "noble sacrifice" scenarios. The theory behind that is I don't think we can expect many more arcs. In 15 years we had 4 major arcs (Exam, York Shin, GI, Chimera Ants) and a minor one (Election), so with current pace we could expect a complete arc each 5y and a maximum of 3 major arcs. So if Togashi really intends to finish the manga, it would be reasonable that more loose ends are settled than created from now on. The DC arc is promissing to be as dark or more than the Chimera`s, so my guess is that something bad will happen to a main character and that will be the trigger to the next arc. Thou I expect the Scarlet Eyes issue to be solved on this arc, Kurapica would still have his vegeance against the Genei Ryodan to settle. Therefore my bet is on Leorio to suffer from a terrible fate, not necessarily death as the DC can deliver worst destinies. Moreover, Kurapika may have responsability in that. All above assuming a non-happy ending ofc.
Togashi's interview with Oda.

He said he has five or six stories in mind and the Dark Continent expedition could be even longer than the CA arc, the scale is much bigger. Yes, the protagonists will face danger but they don't have to be in such an irreversible state that a new arc will be started just for this(Togashi already did this with Gon).

The Zodiacs don't look very impressive for now, but that's why this arc will be important, Togashi didn't list all of their specialties for naught, Kurapika has always been one of the smartest of the manga, other than Ging and Pariston there is also Mizaistom(who is a fan favorite I think) and Cheadle who got enough apparitions in the Election arc, it's the same for Beyond's team, they all have their field of expertise even though Ging outclassed all those who were against him. York Shin arc had only 56 chapters but it was enough for the Troupe members to become fan favorites. Leorio is here mainly as a doctor wanting to learn, it is more likely than someone else will catch a disease instead of him.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Togashi's interview with Oda.

He said he has five or six stories in mind and the Dark Continent expedition could be even longer than the CA arc, the scale is much bigger. Yes, the protagonists will face danger but they don't have to be in such an irreversible state that a new arc will be started just for this(Togashi already did this with Gon).

The Zodiacs don't look very impressive for now, but that's why this arc will be important, Togashi didn't list all of their specialties for naught, Kurapika has always been one of the smartest of the manga, other than Ging and Pariston there is also Mizaistom(who is a fan favorite I think) and Cheadle who got enough apparitions in the Election arc, it's the same for Beyond's team, they all have their field of expertise even though Ging outclassed all those who were against him. York Shin arc had only 56 chapters but it was enough for the Troupe members to become fan favorites. Leorio is here mainly as a doctor wanting to learn, it is more likely than someone else will catch a disease instead of him.
Is it just me or did Togashi just turn the interview to an Oda interviw??? That is a very interesting interview there, is it for real? French forum, no japanese links...

Assume it is true, i would see the 4 arcs the following manner:

1. Dark Continent

2. follow up from D.C return
new abilities, new villains, new calamities

3. the ryodan

4. Finale
would involve Hisoka as hte main villain facing Gon

@Duerlin

You have 12 animals in the zodiac and Lamb isnt one of them :D... or maybe Ginta... yea, just him...

jokes apart, true, they arent as impressive but I would base that on how Hisoka felt more than how Kurapica played them... KUrapika's abiltiies are neat and one of the rare bloodline type guys of the series...

anyways, i think the zodiacs fights will be interesting... we will see them disbanded in the near future as well or form new groups and stables, but the fact they were considered high by Netero should alone mean something

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Is it just me or did Togashi just turn the interview to an Oda interviw??? That is a very interesting interview there, is it for real? French forum, no japanese links...
This interview is old. I don't remember if I have seen the text in Japanese before but its legitimacy has never been contested.

dzsovani

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Hungary
interview? where?

it is so sad that we don't know too much about the mangakas. They are not like american celebrities. We only know a little info about Togashi. Japan is such a mysterius country... not too much information is out from Japan.

FFuuu

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
If I recall correctly, it was never stated that the zodiacs are the strongest, it was said they were the ones closest to the Chairman. Very different. And it was somewhat evident when Hisoka appraised some of them.

And killing off a main character isn't surprising at all these days anyway. It's borderline cliched at the moment.

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Togashi also did a joint interview (2013) with Fujimaki Tadatoshi (Kuroko no Basket), seems that Togashi was his editor :

Here's the whole English translation PDF version. I don't think the translation has been posted.

Credits to pika318

An excerpt :^_^ :

Interviewer : For the both of you, what are your beliefs as mangaka?

Togashi : For me, it will only appear when I draw battle manga, which is the determination “to kill off the protagonist anytime” (laugh).

Fujimaki: Is that even a belief?

Togashi: “Even though it’s the protagonist, but I cannot relax.” I will always think that way. Even though it’s an important character, but because I want to kill the character here, I will kill the character (laugh). This is what my first editor told me as well, “If it has impact, and the readers can accept it, then it is fine.” The important thing is not abiding by the rules, but to break the current sense of security, that’s how it is.

:teehee

Last edited:

DZdinil

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Assume it is true, i would see the 4 arcs the following manner:

1. Dark Continent

2. follow up from D.C return
new abilities, new villains, new calamities

3. the ryodan

4. Finale
would involve Hisoka as hte main villain facing Gon

@Duerlin

You have 12 animals in the zodiac and Lamb isnt one of them :D... or maybe Ginta... yea, just him...

jokes apart, true, they arent as impressive but I would base that on how Hisoka felt more than how Kurapica played them... KUrapika's abiltiies are neat and one of the rare bloodline type guys of the series...

anyways, i think the zodiacs fights will be interesting... we will see them disbanded in the near future as well or form new groups and stables, but the fact they were considered high by Netero should alone mean something
where did you find this interview?

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I can feel it guys. Togashi will return soon. I bet we will hear from him until february

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I can feel it guys. Togashi will return soon. I bet we will hear from him until february
There is a disturbance on the force.

I feel it too.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Oh, so I'm not the only one, I dreamt, one or two weeks ago (truly) that it will resume on February, ( don't know why I have such dreams :hmph ) usually my dreams, at least the worst sadly, tend to come true :^_^ .