Mixed News - Hold your wee for a wii! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mixed News Hold your wee for a wii!

ibra87

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Some radio station in Sacramento held a contest where the winner was promised a Nintendo Wii. It was about who could drink most water without having to pee and was called "Hold your wee for a Wii!".
Contestant Jennifer Strange, mother of three kids, had taken part in this contest/game and after getting sick she went home and died later on because of water intoxication.
10 of staff members from the radio station were fired.

Here's an article about the occasion: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6261509.stm

Here's why (too much) water is dangerous: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6263029.stm

So, what do you guys think?
I think it's irresponsible and selfish of that radio station to run such a contest when (almost) everybody knows that too much water causes water intoxication. I'm also verysorry for Jennifer and for her three kids.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I find it amusing that a radio stations in my area "Pennsylvania,USA" are currently having a contest of the same name. That seems to have the same rules. It's things like this this make me understand how Bush got elected twice.:darn

As sorry as i feel for the person that died and her family, people who enter stupid contests like that really need to use some common sense. I mean, its obvious that if you overwhelm your body with anything, something bad is going to happen, yet so many people just don't think at all. That woman wasn't killed by water she was killed by the stupidity of all the people around her.:notrust

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
aah... the great American dream... to die in the pursuit of happiness in the form of a new piece of technology everyone is raving about. Long live Bush?

Athena

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I saw this story long ago. 10 radio station staff were fired because of their ignorance to consider all aspects of their so called contest but the woman died only and only due to her sheer stupidity. I don't feel sorry for her and I'm happy that the court decided not to sue the radio station (all charges were dropped). People should start making decision based on their own knowledge. Why do some of us allow the media to think and decide for us? Since when they became this powerful? I bet she didn't even think for a second about any possible side effects; you know, if the media says it's Ok then it's definitely safe.