Discussion - How do you pick your bias in K-Pop? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How do you pick your bias in K-Pop?

How do you pick your bias?

• Rap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dance

• Acting skills

• Other skills (such as ballet, sports, etc)

• Other

• Total voters

Kiki

S-Slave
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
How do you pick your bias? Is it because of their vocal, rap, dance, visuals, or personality? Or maybe there's other reason? Share your thoughts!

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good thread! For people that don't know, I tend to pick my bias based on...

1) Visuals

This sort of falls under first impressions. If I don't know the artist well enough, I usually go by appearance. I mean we all have something we are attracted to whether it is vocals, rap, or dance. And to be honest, this is only the surface.

2) "Personality" on Variety Shows

This also falls under first impressions for me, except this time, I know a little more about the artist. One thing that should be noted is that K-pop idols don't always showcase their true personality on TV. And this is completely understandable. Like everyone else, they are humans with flaws. However, the reason why I pick my bias based on their "personality" is because it still serves as an inspiration for others around the world. Although how they act on TV might not be how they act in real life, they still play a role in making people better so to speak. Of course, there is a certain limit on this though.

3) Personality

In reality, it's hard for me to pick a bias based on personality. The only way I can do this is if I feel like I truly know the artist's personality. And this usually requires me to have followed them for years. Because there are only a select few, I tend to use this criteria as a last resort.

Kiki

S-Slave
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
@XXEliteXXAceXX I thought you were gonna say "rap" :D

For me, it's divided into male member and female member. For female one, I am usually interested in the member that fits my type both physically (visuals) and personality wise (being graceful, polite, considerate etc). And then next is her talent. Since I am vocal trash, I prefer vocal over dance. Personality, I can know her personality from other members, variety shows, or news. Other determinant is her other skills, such as cooking, acting, foreign language, etc.

For male one, once again since I am vocal trash I am interested in his voice. I like baritone/bass more than tenor/countertenor. The second determinant is personality+skills. Caring about the surroundings, being able to cook, individual achievements is +++.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
@XXEliteXXAceXX I thought you were gonna say "rap" :D

For me, it's divided into male member and female member. For female one, I am usually interested in the member that fits my type both physically (visuals) and personality wise (being graceful, polite, considerate etc). And then next is her talent. Since I am vocal trash, I prefer vocal over dance. Personality, I can know her personality from other members, variety shows, or news. Other determinant is her other skills, such as cooking, acting, foreign language, etc.

For male one, once again since I am vocal trash I am interested in his voice. I like baritone/bass more than tenor/countertenor. The second determinant is personality+skills. Caring about the surroundings, being able to cook, individual achievements is +++.
Haha, I don't blame you. I guess it's just so happens that most of my bias are rappers.

But like you, I prefer vocals over dance (as well as rap). Of the three, I put the most emphasis on vocals and then rap would be next. Dance is great too but what I also look for in an artist is their ability to put on a 'show' during a live performance. Rather than just dancing or copying the MV, I like it better when the artist hypes the audience and improvises their songs to make it more unique in person. Surprisingly though, none of the above are major determinants when it comes to picking my bias.

Kiki

S-Slave
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
You should post here @xi0 :3

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
You should post here @xi0 :3
Why do people feel the need to pick one in the first place? :notlikethis

I get it if you're drawn to one for whatever reason, but...

Kiki

S-Slave
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Why do people feel the need to pick one in the first place? :notlikethis

I get it if you're drawn to one for whatever reason, but...
I just wanted to learn anthropology :notlikethis

:emobirb

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I just wanted to learn anthropology :notlikethis

:emobirb
It wasn't really a question for you specifically, the thread is good. But it is something I wonder when it comes to idol culture, I guess.