Miscellaneous - How to rate Edited Mangas! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Miscellaneous How to rate Edited Mangas!

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I know I'm too strict about Edited Mangas quality and every person has a different opinion about the quality, but I thought it'd be cool if I just gave afew guidelines/points you guys can follow.

LQ (Low Quality) - Not cleaned LQ/MQ raw

Main kinds:

• Not cleaned LQ raw - Will be the actual LQ raw pages (+Greyscale sometimes) with english text over the japanese text, kinda like this:
  • Poorly cleaned LQ raw - Usually simple leveling+greyscaling over an LQ raw page:
    *leveled LQ pages will usually be brighter in the middle of the page (because of the camera's flash).
  • Not cleaned MQ raw -

Main points:

• Pages are not white (the pages might be yellowish/redish, or sometimes only white in the middle).
  • The black areas are grey/weren't blacken at all.
  • Japanese text not fully removed (English text is typesetted over Japanese text).
  • Edges are visibile (you can see the area behind the magazine)

If one (or more) of the above points applies for a Edited Manga then it is LQ.

In short, a Edited Manga that hasn't gone through cleaning.

MQ (Medium Quality) - Cleaned LQ raw, poorly cleaned MQ/HQ raw

Main kinds:

• Cleaned LQ raw/Poorly cleaned MQ raw - The pages are almost totally white, the black areas are almost totally black and all the japanese text was removed (out-of-baloon text removed by cleaning/hidden by a square).
  • Poorly cleaned HQ raw - Because of the HQ raw's quality a Edited Manga done using it (without any cleaning) counts as MQ. Usually the blacks won't be totally black, the white areas will have some grey noise, the lineart might be grungy and not totally black, the greys might not look good and constant, redrawing might not be done (out-of-baloon text may appear in boxes that hide the japanese text).

Main points:

• Pages are mostly white.
  • The black areas are almost totally black.
  • Grey areas are not uniformed (i.e. solid/patterned).
  • Messy borders (no rotating/reframing).
  • No redrawing done for out-of-baloon text (the text may appear in boxes that hide the japanese text/it was removed by simple deletion).

If the Edited Manga is not LQ and one (or more) of the above points applies for the Edited Manga then it's MQ.

In short, any Edited Manga that isn't LQ nor HQ.

HQ (High Quality) - Cleaned MQ/HQ raw

The HQ raw should be completely cleaned:

All the redrawing must be done:

Main points:

• The whites are totally white.
  • The blacks are totally black.
  • Uniformed greys (i.e. solid/patterned).
  • Clean borders (i.e. straight and not noised).
  • Redrawing done whenever needed (for removing japanese text or fixing crappy lineart).
  • Page size should be constant and about 1100px-1500px height.

If all of the above points apply for a Edited Manga then it's HQ.

In short, perfect.

Feel free to make any comment/suggestion.
If you need help rating a Edited Manga feel free to post it here so everybody can help you decide.

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Finally a thread about it...damn I suggested it so many times =)

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel
When I was made advisor I decided to create it for the mods and it's been avaliable for them ever since :)

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Fnuckale said:
When I was made advisor I decided to create it for the mods and it's been avaliable for them ever since :)
Sorry if this is spam but only :notrust :darn :mad >.<

Guess that would have helped a few people already when they could've looked at a thread like this...

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I only finished it today for this section though ;)
I made a bunch of examples and fixed some info.
The first (beta if you like) version was made to help the mods and get some feedback.

vlado

Reaction score
Greate job , helps the mods make exact specifications of quality.
Not like saying that the lq-mq raws of d.gray man are hq.

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Vlado said:
Not like saying that the lq-mq raws of d.gray man are hq.
1 // rating Edited Mangas and raws is an entirely different thing
2 // the latest few raws for d.gray-man have all been mq/hq in my opinion, they're about the same quality as bleach / naruto's in scanning, and because the art isnt line-based ( i mean: with those strong contours etc as naruto ), it's a lot harder to clean per definition, though yeah, some earlier raws of d.gray-man have been terrible :s

EDIT: If this sounds like i'm attacking you, i'm sorry, i'm actually not very able to show the way i'm trying to say it without you hearing the sounds etc, if you know what i mean, i'm just commenting on you mentioning d.gray-man hahaha XD

vlado

Reaction score
I just pointed out that you should read this properly beacause the d.gray-man raws are not so good compared to the naruto/bleach etc. ones.

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Vlado said:
I just pointed out that you should read this properly beacause the d.gray-man raws are not so good compared to the naruto/bleach etc. ones.
This is a guide on Edited Manga rating, RAWs are rated differently.

vlado

Reaction score
Ups sorry :P

angry

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Differences between LQ - MQ - HQ

Ok, so every week i see alot of Edited Mangas in the Edited Manga thread... there's usually a few LQ's and a whole lot of MQ's... but then there is often a couple of HQ's or MQ/HQ (what is that?).... So my question is... who decides these things? Imo... there are only 2 groups capable of bringing out an HQ and thats either JapFlap or Shannero.

This is the classification i think is what should be used:

LQ: The raw, only japanese/chinese text is replaced with whites and translated text added, almost no leveling done or removed/redrawn text.
MQ: Every page is leveled and blacks are blackened and whites are whitened. 'Thought' text (w/o speech baloon) in panels can be redrawn, but is often just typed over with stroked text. Greys often look crappy.
HQ: Every page is redrawn and all grays look perfect. Comparable to the stuff Shonen Jump uses to print their magazines.

Any thoughts? Am i wrong? Is there such a thing as MQ/HQ?

Greets, Angry

Faith

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Re: Differences between LQ - MQ - HQ

Man people put effort into Editing, and they can label their Edited Manga whatever they think it deserves. If you want a High Quality wait for the larger groups to produce your high quality.

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

awesome Des!

murmeli_bobo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Zimbabwe

have you ever downloaded our HQ release?! I would say we are very much "capable of bringing out" hq scans coughlimitedpersoncough^^, compare ours to Shannaro or JapFlap GG. if you can get your hands on a HQ raw then it's not necessary to redraw the page completely like you said (I don't know what exactly you mean by redrawn...?), it don't even look much like the original weekly shonen jump if you start redrawing ALL the lines and mess it up. we always to the blacks, greys, frame borders and remove/fix other abnormalities that appear (?)

if you see there's a "HQ" scan a couple hours after the raw it will most definitely be just a mq Edited Manga... and the mq/hq rating is crappy, it's either hq or not IMO

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Faith said:
Man people put effort into Editing, and they can label their Edited Manga whatever they think it deserves.
It doesnt change the fact that it would be incorrect. Fnuck pretty much summed it up best in the link des posted

murmeli_bobo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Zimbabwe

yes, that he did but noobs just don't get it... they overestimate their own releases. You can't have super speed and high quality in the same package

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

mur, it's not really that they overestimate their abilities, it's probably more that they dont know what passes for LQ, MQ and HQ. I mean by now i have a good idea of what is what (seeing as i have spent many many many hours on photoshop Editing)and most, if not all of the early Edited Mangas are LQ and MQ, at the very best.

Also, i should say that there are four groups who can bring out HQ: Shannaro (though they have been quiet recently), Inane (though they have been dead recently but are comming back), JapFlap and NBST (though sometimes you guys arent quite there. I am sure more man power could fix any problems as you have said)

topic moved and merged into the "How to rate Edited Mangas" thread.

Miso

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well the discussioin isn't about which group can and which group can't bring out HQ releases... it just bothers me that everyone says they bring out a HQ release, but when i download it... it isn't HQ!

To me HQ is something like THX certification... if you go to a theater that has THX certification... then you know (without a doubt) that it has the best quality screen and sound. If the mods in the raw/translation/Edited Manga threads just label every 'pretty damn good MQ' as HQ... then why use the classification? IMO HQ should be reserved for the absolute best and shouldn't be given so easily. Otherwise, why would we have this thread if we don't even use it?

Once again, i'm not trying to put Manga Editor groups down... all of you do an incredible job and i realize that it would be pointless to have 6 groups who bring out super HQ's. So if the difference in quality is offset by the speed of bringing out a Edited Manga then its valuable to all of us (we'll get a bit better quality each hour/day), but it would be nice to have a system that everyone could depend on... i.e. when a mod labels it as HQ.. it will be HQ, because right now... that isn't so ^^

Greets, Angry

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
i just listed the groups who have done high quality in the past. It is just difficult to bring something to hq in any amount of time without a full team behind you. I appreciate the work the early guys do because in reality, for naruto at least, the first lq raws are the only ones i read