Guide - How to Type in Japanese and Other Languages | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Guide How to Type in Japanese and Other Languages

4ghost

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The following is a simple tutorial for enabling your computer to type the Japanese text. Similar steps can be taken for Korean Chinese and other languages. If you don't have Windows Vista the following link might cover what you need to do.

http://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html

In Windows Vista

Step by step illustration
Start> Control panel> Regional and Language Options>

Click the following
Keyboards and Languages Tab
Change Keyboards... Button

Click and check the
Add Button
Japanese and Microsoft IME (Input Method Editors) Boxes

Once you ok everything you should now be able to choose the language that you type in by selecting the desired language in the Task Bar.

=======================================================================
=======================================================================

Windows 8

The steps are generally similar in Win8, but the interface/layout is quite different and possibly confusing for a new user. Here is a brief tutorial to adding a language in Win8.

As usual, go to the Control Panel, click on Add a language (or search language in the search bar.)

Clicking Add a language will bring you to a selection of languages. Choose the language you want. Some languages will prompt the Open button instead of Add, as they have further options for you to decide on.

Now that you have added a language, click on Options to confirm/select the input method you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Since the above is a tutorial for Windows, here's a short tutorial for Mac users :) It's really easy (a lot easier than Windows :derp)~

Here's how you do it:
1. Go into System Preferences and click "Language & Text"
2. Select Input Sources
3. Tick the checkbox next to "Kotoeri" and you're good to go :thumbs Hiragana is selected by default so that when you type, it'll be in Hiragana then auto-converted to Kanji and so on, but you can also select Katakana or Romaji if you prefer.

Another alternative to the inbuilt input systems is something njt recommended to me, and it's what I'm using right now :D Google IME, which works on both Windows and Macs. The benefit of Google IME is that it gleans info off the internet, so you'll be using words that are commonly used. For example, if I want to type the title of the manga Shiki (屍鬼), I wouldn't be able to get it if I used the standard input systems since 屍鬼 is not actually a word per se. I'd get 四季... 式... 指揮... But not what I want! However, since the word 屍鬼 is fairly common on the internet with people discussing the series, it will appear on the IME kanji conversion list when I type "しき" :D This means easy typing of names like 黒崎一護 which actually aren't standard/normal.

In addition, typing things like "イエイ" easily gets you the emoji "v( ̄Д ̄)v イエイ"! How awesome is that? :nuts

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
But the standard Windows IME comes with an awesome drawing pad for kanji recognition! (That's why I haven't switched to Google IME yet)

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Does it? :o Can you share more about it (maybe write a short tutorial if you have time? :3)? When you say "drawing pad", does that mean you need a tablet to write the kanji on for it to be recognized...?

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
saradesu said:
Another alternative to the inbuilt input systems is something njt recommended to me, and it's what I'm using right now Google IME, which works on both Windows and Macs. The benefit of Google IME is that it gleans info off the internet, so you'll be using words that are commonly used. For example, if I want to type the title of the manga Shiki (屍鬼), I wouldn't be able to get it if I used the standard input systems since 屍鬼 is not actually a word per se. I'd get 四季... 式... 指揮... But not what I want! However, since the word 屍鬼 is fairly common on the internet with people discussing the series, it will appear on the IME kanji conversion list when I type "しき" This means easy typing of names like 黒崎一護 which actually aren't standard/normal.
Since I've never used Google IME or the drawing pad that cmertb mentioned, I can't say much about it.

Anyway, I am sure that many people in Japan prefer ATOK over MS IME. (ATOK has been around in Japan for decades.)

MS IME can be pretty bad, but there are ways to go around it if you chose to use it.

To type 屍鬼(しき/shiki):

(1) Type しかばね to convert it to kanji (屍), then add 鬼(おに/oni)
This works only if you already know how to read kanji.

(2) If you type 屍鬼 often -

Find [Tools] icon on the language bar. Click it, then select [Register Words/Examples ...].

Fill in/Type
Reading: しかばね
Display: 屍鬼  <---- copy and paste from whatever the website you can find the word.

Part of Speech: I think default is Noun/名詞 but you can change.
Add comments if you want. then click [OK]

Next time you use MS IME, you can simply type "しき" to convert it to "屍鬼"

- For Bleach Fans & Translators -

You can do this with MS IME:

When you add words, type

Reading: ざらきけんぱち
Display: 更木剣八
click OK

Once registered, "ざらきけんぱち" will be converted to "更木剣八."

or,

Reading: ざら
Display:更木剣八
click OK

Once registered, all you need is to type "ざら" to get "更木剣八." :):):)

Likewise, enter - Reading: くろ / Display: 黒崎一護. OK
くろ will be converted into 黒崎一護.

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I can't do a tutorial since I have zero image editing skills, but there is a button on your language toolbar that brings up the drawing pad. You can draw with the mouse, and as you draw, the app keeps displaying characters that look closest to what you're drawing. It's very fault tolerant, which makes it easy to use. I use it often when the scan is too low res to make out any individual radical, but when I start drawing what the kanji looks like to me, very often the correct one pops up at some point.

As for ATOK, do you have to buy it separately and install in Windows? Or do Japanese Windows already come with it pre-installed?

Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I can't do a tutorial since I have zero image editing skills, but there is a button on your language toolbar that brings up the drawing pad. You can draw with the mouse, and as you draw, the app keeps displaying characters that look closest to what you're drawing.

As for ATOK, do you have to buy it separately and install in Windows? Or do Japanese Windows already come with it pre-installed?
I haven't downloaded the google IME yet, but I played around with the drawing pad you mentioned. I found it under [tools]-[IME Pad]-[Hand Writing (JA)]. It worked just like you said. :D

ATOK was developed in Japan as part of a well known word processor application called Ichitaro. The company now sells ATOK separately as well. It's quite expensive (around 100USD), so I would not just recommend it to anyone. :-_-

smaller

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a program called the JWPce (Japanese Word Processor CE - the programmer made it for Windows CE but it works fine in XP and Win7, etc., and it's free). My college Japanese professor showed us how to use it, and it's pretty great - has a dictionary database, and you can look up kanji by a number of different methods, including SKIP. The default as you type is in hiragana; you get katakana by holding shift or using caps lock, and you can do kanji insert by 'capitalizing' the first letter in a word.

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpce.html

Another awesome thing about it is that it's small enough to store on a thumb drive, and it doesn't have to be installed - it just runs from a folder with all of its necessary files. So I can take it to work or a campus library, for example, where you'd have to have admin privileges to get Windows to install Japanese for display.

Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Windows 7 Home Premium

[Control Panel] - [Clock, Language, and Region] - [Region and Language]

Select the [Keyboards and Languages] tab, then click on [Change keyboards].

Click [Add] button under Installed services in the [General] tab to add extra input languages. Scroll down to find Japanese. Double click Japanese, then double click keyboard. Select options ( Japanese; Microsoft IME), then click [OK].

Change the default input language to Japanese if you prefer.

Optional set-up: "Language for non-Unicode programs" in the [Administrative] under Region and Language Settings.

Click [Apply] or [OK] and close
[Region and Language].

You may download other IME (such as google IME) to change the IME settings later.

To fully support Japanese application programs, upgrade your 7 Home Premium to Windows Ultimate, which is a very expensive alternative.

Note: I use US Windows 7. To see official information, please use Windows Help & Support feature.

lost in space

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
hey guys
i'm new here and really i didn't know what to do i didn't understand it
i have windows XP and i don't know a lot about japanies and and and
and i need your help --'
please

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
hey guys
and i need your help --'
please
Hi there, can you tell us more about your problem? I'm not a Windows users myself but I'll try my best to help if I can :) I'm thinking the process should be fairly similar to installing Japanese input in either Vista or 7, though?

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
hey guys
and i need your help --'
please
You need to:
* install files for East Asian Languages (Japanese) and add a (Japanese) keyboard.
* learn how to use IME

Log on as an administrator.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.

On the Languages tab, under Supplemental language support, select the Install files for East Asian languages check box then click OK or Apply. (Select only the necessary language(s)/Japanese to install.) Click Apply or OK.

On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details button to add a Japanese Keyboard. (Keep the default language as English. 1. Click Add button. 2. Chose Japanese input language and Keyboard layout/IME.) Click Apply or OK.

You may want to use Windows Help and Support information for more detail.

Last edited:

SwitchLoop

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a fun little shortcut for anyone using win7 with the Japanese language installed.

You can quick switch between Eng and Jpn using Alt + Shift
You can quick switch between half=width alpha and hiragana using Alt + ~