I might try watching One Piece anime, but | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

I might try watching One Piece anime, but

lapchern

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Albania
can someone fill me in on if it's been filler'd up like Naruto? or is it all 312 eps of quality story that's faithful to the manga? how bout the movies? and how many chapters in the manga left do you guys think are left till the story's over? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

sahugani

Now 20% Cooler
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
First of all, starting One Piece is a very good thing

as for the anime, yes there is filler, but nothing to the extent of the Naruto filler. with a series this long, it is bound to catch up to the manga multiple times. the episode guide on wikipedia HERE has labeled the filler arcs and episodes.

As for how long till the manga is over, we've got quite a while. according to Oda's statements, i think we've just about passed the halfway mark

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
the fillers are great in one piece, unlike in naruto where it's all crap. the stories are great and still funny, retains the character's characters. also the before sky island the scenes are a little boring, esp if you read the manga, but come around after it and it's a blast. and then water7 arc is the most revered arc in the anime

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do it. It's such an amazing anime. It starts out kind of slow, but once it hits the AP arc it rockets into awesome land. And while it does have fillers (like most animes do) there is a fundamental difference between OP and naruto fillers, that difference being, they are good. Not to mention that the anime follows very closely to the manga. As for the movies... well everyone has their takes on them, personally I liked them all, but some people will say differently, they are worth a watch at least once though. As for the manga it self, it's far from over.

vick86

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Yes there are fillers but they're not annoying in anyway since it rarely contradicts the manga (only one time as far as I know) besides who says they didn't go to island C on the way from island A to island B? As for the movies they're actually quite good. OK The first one sucks but the rest are a good viewing for both fans of the show and those who are interested in the show but don't feel like watching 300+ episodes.

ANBU4U

Reaction score
Country
United States
Amazing anime, and the Water 7 Arc is breathtaking. Worth watching fillers and all, though skip them with a clean conscience.

As for the manga, according to Oda is JUST hit the halfway point at the end of Water 7 so were just starting the second half of the manga.

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Some of the early fillers are good but you should take note of the recap fillers, those you can just skip really. And the meiji era fillers (one hour specials) are not too bad on its own. Overall, nothing to worry about for the fillers. And the movies are really good! And everyone mention that we only hit the halfway mark of the storyline for the manga. :amuse

Ginny-N

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Let me see... The Fillers are long 10 chapters max, are inter the end of arc and the start of the another, and there some fillers in the middle of the Arabasta arc (You can catch them because they are some little stories autoconclusives) and them some anothers while they are waiting the contruction of the Thousand Sunny (If Wikipedia is right).

In fact, you notice they are fillers because they start to bore in the middle. Apis is a little boring (10 episodes), I like a lot the episodes post-arabasta (5), Goat Island is fun (3), I enjoy Rainbow Mist (4, I think), G8 is totally worth the time (10, I think again) and Ocean Dream could be better. But nothing terrible, and again, if you don't like, they are 10 episodes max, so you can skip it. AND the recap episodes you can skip it inmediatly. But nothing like a... 1 year and half fillers...

treemu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Finland
I remember when I first started watching OP. The first 40 or so episodes were... well, boring, but after that it hooks you.

Like many others before me have said OP does suffer from filleritis(which long anime does not?) but not in the degree of Naruto. The concept of OP makes it difficult to have 1-2 ep-long fillers (except in the Logue Town arc and a few others), but that doesn't mean OP fillers suck. Although they are non-canon they do share most of the OP feel that canon episodes have.

Movies are non-canon as well, sometimes (most of the time?) even more than fillers (a good example would be Movie #7). However, movies have stronger supporting characters than fillers, IMHO. They do seem to have a (bad?) habit of being repetitive, but they're great nonetheless.

The biggest pro of OP is the character design. Each crew member has depth and emotion beyond that of Naruto. At around the time we see a new crew member (who is totally oblivious of that) Oda throws in a flash back scene from that characters past. These flash backs can be gruesome, tear-jerking, depressing and many others but always touching. We get not only to know the character but also understand them, their motives, their past and most of all their dreams, the things that make and keep them going.

In contrast to the heavy themes OP can be outstandingly hilarious. Every crew member has a serious mode and a funny mode (which, in some cases, is the lack of it). Luffy is an extremely funny guy (and I do mean chopsticks-in-his-nostrils ab-cramping funny), but damn, he's downright scary when he's serious.

Like all anime, One Piece can't be explained, it needs and deserves to be seen (or read). I once started anime watching as a Narutard, but slowly turned into a bona fide OPtard. And I wouldn't like it any other way. My advice is, start with just reading the manga, get to know it, and then, when you're around the AP arc (=Arlong Park) switch to anime. Use the aforementioned episode guide to avoid fillers (optional). Become an OPtard. It is your destiny.

No, seriously, do it.

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Treemu that is so well said! As an 'OPtard' myself, you couldn't have say it any better. The characters are really the essence of OP. :D