Shounen - Iron Knight by YAGI Tomohiro | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Iron Knight by YAGI Tomohiro

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Iron Knight
Genre: Dark Fantasy, Action, Shounen
Author: Yagi Tomohiro
Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
Publisher: Shueisha
Summary from Mangaupdate: A boy with a body like steel encounters the "goblin virus" and must now protect his girlfriend.

Chapter 1

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Off to a good start, as usual in these series the transformation idea always resorts in a powerup to get ugly so it wasnt good but at times the action with it was really intense. Looking forward to all Teppei does in the upcoming chapter and if he can find his one friend at school (not Tsubasa-chan).

Putting the total destruction in chp 1 was a good move.

Raijatsu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
what I liked: it's gritty, teh story is dark and suspenseful, mildly gory (in WSJ standarts) and it has a lot of potential as it could go either way. (restoring the world or living in it)

what i did not like: The art, too close to Ubel Blatt which never appealed to me for it's art. Again the main character starts as insanely powerful and it becomes hard to imagin how he can develop, except the iron lances the one-shot showed. I would have had preferred him to not fully transform right away.....

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Strangest series in a while that has been introduced into WSJ...

The first chapter feels more like a one shot in my opinion. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily but it will depend on the upcoming chapters. The setting, a post apocalyptic world is interesting. The story itself hasn't been properly introduced in my opinion but as I said, the upcoming chapters might do good.

The must curious thing is the art: in the beginning, it looks really childish in my opinion but when the destruction of the world and the first villain was introduced then the art somewhat changes because of the character/monster design.

Anyway, I'll give it a chance but I highly doubt that it will be able to survive

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
oh what a cute bunny !

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I liked the first chapter, more than some series that I read from Jump lately. It has mystery and it is quite serious, too. Regarding the art, I have the theory that it changed from the middle to the end to bring a contrast between the nice life that he was living and the desperate situation from now on. So, I believe that it was intentional, otherwise there would be no reason to the art evolve from a page to another.

His power has margin to evolve, it always has, it can seem a great power, but we don't know the level of that demon who he fought, I think it was pretty low. Well, looking forward for the next chapter. I want to know what happened with Tsubasa-chan and the others. There is a huge gap, he simply wake up in the middle of the street. o.o

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Aw hes really good lead in this new second chapter and could really feel and everything how he was slowly starting to get more and more lonely and having a difficult time keeping up his fun and antics as the days went on. His whole ability naming thing was funny.

Sadly, having a rabbit loli is a terrible move for the writer to make

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
At this moment there's nearly no plot development and in my opinion this might be a good thing. The mysteries are a reason why I read this. Anyway, the only thing I regret is that the character development is plain. But it's nice to see, how the kid is dealing with his power.

The bunny is cute and funny, I wonder if she is good

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The feeling of loneliness was very good in this chapter, how he was talking to himself all the time and doing things to forgot about this loneliness. The rabbit girl was weird, though, broke the serious atmosphere completely and I really didn't understand why this shape. It brokes the sense of "monster" as well.
Well, I really hope that there is a good explanation for that, or a more monstrous shape behind this cute form, otherwise, it can broke readers' expectations.

Last edited:

Korean Kuroko

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
It was interesting,I guess
The MC's demon form is cool but I doubt this is gonna be sucessful at Jump(although if it ends up being I'll eat my words).

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
The rabbit just show that is is not a as dark serie as people have labelled it.

Korean Kuroko

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
The rabbit just show that is is not a as dark serie as people have labelled it.
The goblin apocalypse has happened.That''s as dark as one can get on premise alone.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Chapter 3

I don't know if he is doing this on purpose to make mystery or if he is confused, but another gap in the story without much reason, apparently Teppei collapsed again. He found some people, it will be ineteresting how they will react to the fact that he is a monster, too.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I think this thing happens on purpose. Teppei (or whattever his name is) is on a search for answers and I like it how he is confronted with unsolved questions. As a reader you get more involved with him.

Anyway, in the beginning it might be good do this but I kind of expect a story progression from chapter 8-10. It is annoying when important information is given directly.

I loved the third chapter more than the second one. The character development might happen too easy but I loved how determined the hero was to pick on a fight.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I guess you're right about the mystery. I complained a bit because sometimes it can be the author confusion, I hope that it is not the case here. I'm quite interested in the first mystery where Tsubasa and the others disappeared. The rabbit girl... well, I still think her weird, but I cannot judge by the appearance, I suppose.

I know since the beginning that he will pick a fight, there is no way to stay quiet when you see someone you like being hurt and you have the power to make it stop. That bad guy told about someone else who "invaded his territory", anoter gang maybe?

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Well the rabbit girl is definitely good willed. I think she saved teppei by cooling him down when his power turned against him. She might be like Teppei, she might be a normal girl who got powers after the events.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I know, I mean weird in appereance, she seems to me very out of the context when she appearead in the chapter 2, judging by all that ugly monsters and all. I'm starting to get used, though, we know that cute monsters will appear sooner or later. XD

Yeah, she was good willed. Maybe she can become the first partner in Teppei's group later.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter 3 was pretty dull and could even be more dull if the next chapter goes a predictable route making everyone turn their backs to him now that they know he has this power. Atrocious character antagonists, and just plain dull exposition overall. The series started strong but is sinking pretty fast.

Korean Kuroko

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Chapter 3 was pretty dull and could even be more dull if the next chapter goes a predictable route making everyone turn their backs to him now that they know he has this power. Atrocious character antagonists, and just plain dull exposition overall. The series started strong but is sinking pretty fast.
Aaaand that''s exactly what happened.Let me one up you and predict what happens next:
-The acid goblin attacks the people again.Teppei arrives too late to save anyone but with his last breath his friend admits he was wrong about Teppei being bad.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Also out of curiosity I read the original One Shot.It''s almost funny how superior OS Teppei is to actual story Teppei.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
More cliche is impossible. That was chapter 4 for me. The chapter didn't have anything interesting but the girl's speech in the end. She said some creepy things, but her face is innocent, I don't know what's her intentions.
The overall of those four chapters was a decreasing of the quality. I really like the first chapter, but the quality has fallen since then.