Discussion - Is Tootsuki the only cooking school? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Is Tootsuki the only cooking school?

xbluejayz

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
I have been thinking, is Totsuki Academy the only cooking school?
And what if there are cooks that are the same level as Souma and peers, who didn't join the Academy?
Remember Souma didn't seem to know about the Academy so can there be more rivals?
Please tell me your ideas guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Since it would be a bit off-topic in the chapter discussion thread, I made a thread just for this question because it is interesting enough to deserve it. I was wondering the same for while now.

xbluejayz

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
I believe that there may be another Rival School in the future because it would fit in perfectly for the elite ten being only students to compete or etc.
I don't see much for the Elite Ten except business and status from what I can see, feel free to comment on my mistake if anyone notices it.
Thanks.

I am gonna be honest, all my cooking dreams are in this manga and I believe this manga has a chance at being the best cooking manga for me. I would hate for author to rush the story and not try to take it one step at a time and span out the paths he can use. Thanks for reading and hope you will forever continue reading the manga.
Peace Out Ma Homies :D

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Answering the question now...
I have been thinking, is Totsuki Academy the only cooking school?
And what if there are cooks that are the same level as Souma and peers, who didn't join the Academy?
Remember Souma didn't seem to know about the Academy so can there be more rivals?
Please tell me your ideas guys!
By the logic, no, but the authors can decide that he will not mention other schools, which in my opinion would be a waste of potential. They already mentioned another countries and a whole world of cooking outside Tootsuki, I think they are going to explore this in the future, but I think it will take some time.

Do you mean independent rivals? Those who are neither in Tootsuki, nor in another school? There is always this possibility, they can make a contest where anywhere can participate and some characters of his kind could appear, but I don't have any theories about that since any clue was given in the story.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

I believe that there may be another Rival School in the future because it would fit in perfectly for the elite ten being only students to compete or etc.
I don't see much for the Elite Ten except business and status from what I can see, feel free to comment on my mistake if anyone notices it.
Thanks.

I am gonna be honest, all my cooking dreams are in this manga and I believe this manga has a chance at being the best cooking manga for me. I would hate for author to rush the story and not try to take it one step at a time and span out the paths he can use. Thanks for reading and hope you will forever continue reading the manga.
Peace Out Ma Homies :D
Yeah, it is something like that. So far they only appears to be a group for business and marketing, the face of Tootsuki, but since we haven't known the Elite Ten deeply so far, we cannot say that it is not their unique purpose and I think they have a competitive function as well. What you said is a possibility, they can be who represent the school in competitions.

I rely on Shokugeki no Soma authors completely. They are going to make a good work, I'm sure. The series has a large universe to explore, it can last many years without getting boring.

Kaishaku

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
There are most certainly other cooking schools, but Tootsuki will remain the only one relevant to the plot, given its reputation.

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would think that the Tootsuki is more than just a Culinary Academy. It is also deemed as a boot camp training ground for the would-be chef and since the TOotsuki Group own it, there is no doubt that the graduated students would go for the academy too. Just wondering....

Mighty Action X

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I don't think that they will introduce more schools that will be relevant to the plot of the story, maybe a few to show that there are others aside from Tootsuki. But the plot of Shokugeki no Souma is about the life and struggles to reach for the top in the most prestigious cooking school in the country rather than an inter-academy competition because to start with, Tootsuki has no competition from being the best school.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems unrealistic to make it the only one. I imagine there will be a future plot in which they will have to do some competition against another school.

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems unrealistic to make it the only one. I imagine there will be a future plot in which they will have to do some competition against another school.
Hold your horses, pal. I agreed that focusing Tootsuki alone is boring but, introducing other culinary academies to challenge Tootsuki may be a bit far-fetched even though it was also one of many possibilities. We haven't meet all the Elite Ten Council roster yet.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hold your horses, pal. I agreed that focusing Tootsuki alone is boring but, introducing other culinary academies to challenge Tootsuki may be a bit far-fetched even though it was also one of many possibilities. We haven't meet all the Elite Ten Council roster yet.
Why? Whats the point of school clubs and such if they dont compete against rival institutions?

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It is not far-fetched, it is very likely, but it is not a plan for now, tomorrow or even 1 year from here. It is a long-tem plan of plot.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i also want other culinary schools but if that didn't happen i want Soma to be kicked out or leave Tootsuki and travel around the world and return again to the academy as a master :D

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
i also want other culinary schools but if that didn't happen i want Soma to be kicked out or leave Tootsuki and travel around the world and return again to the academy as a master :D
I think that all this development around the Alumni is a signal that the series can continue after Souma and co. end the school. It is gonna be awesome to see them battle in the real world of cooking.

Chingaruna517

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why? Whats the point of school clubs and such if they dont compete against rival institutions?
Don't misunderstood, it would be amazing if Tootsuki met its competition along the way but, even with such possibility it would create a continuity error rather than expecting the dream story. And here are my reasons why I thought it is far-fetched,
  1. First of all, we actually learned little about the Elite Ten Council despite its function was briefly explained before the story goes one. And the members, including the Alumnus and Hall of Famers, they are not reached even 5% of the group and the current roster (excludes Erina, Eizan and Satoshi who we know because they were introduced) made only limited appearances. Honestly, who else was/were in the current Elite Ten roster aside from the introduced three?
  2. Second, Tootsuki itself is Japan's #1 (if not the world) culinary school so the competition is very,very rare. Unless there are some rare schools (domestically or internationally) are either surpassing/equally to the Totsuki, it remained as the powerhouse culinary school.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Don't misunderstood, it would be amazing if Tootsuki met its competition along the way but, even with such possibility it would create a continuity error rather than expecting the dream story. And here are my reasons why I thought it is far-fetched,
  1. First of all, we actually learned little about the Elite Ten Council despite its function was briefly explained before the story goes one. And the members, including the Alumnus and Hall of Famers, they are not reached even 5% of the group and the current roster (excludes Erina, Eizan and Satoshi who we know because they were introduced) made only limited appearances. Honestly, who else was/were in the current Elite Ten roster aside from the introduced three?
  2. Second, Tootsuki itself is Japan's #1 (if not the world) culinary school so the competition is very,very rare. Unless there are some rare schools (domestically or internationally) are either surpassing/equally to the Totsuki, it remained as the powerhouse culinary school.
1. we want to have another culinary school "In the Future" not after the current arc or anything just in the future
-----> if Soma become 1 of the Ten then it will open another world to Soma and it will be another Arcs because Soma will aim to be the #1 Seat maybe after that the Head of Tootsuki will announce to all Seat members that there will be a competition and only the 10 Seats are eligible to compete

2. Tootsuki is #1 in Japan that's why we need another culinary school from another country
------> there will be another school or schools to challange Tootsuki i mean all the Alumni of Tootsuki pretty much dominate the culinary scene in other countries so maybe someone will challenge them in the "Future"

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1. we want to have another culinary school "In the Future" not after the current arc or anything just in the future
-----> if Soma become 1 of the Ten then it will open another world to Soma and it will be another Arcs because Soma will aim to be the #1 Seat maybe after that the Head of Tootsuki will announce to all Seat members that there will be a competition and only the 10 Seats are eligible to compete

2. Tootsuki is #1 in Japan that's why we need another culinary school from another country
------> there will be another school or schools to challange Tootsuki i mean all the Alumni of Tootsuki pretty much dominate the culinary scene in other countries so maybe someone will challenge them in the "Future"
Exactly. It is important to highlight the "future" because people appears to be immediatist here. XD
If you think about it, it's logical. Elite Ten are the BEST cooking in the school and what did we see them do so far? Take care of the organization of the Autumn Election and (in Erina's case) destroying an opponent easily... Is it really what Elite Ten do all the time? Paperwork and crush challengers that dare to defy them (which are few, I believe)? I think the answer is obvious... We don't know what Elite Ten actually do because the main characters of the story are not there yet. A new world will be unveiled when Souma and the others get there. It's logical to think that Elite Ten represents Tootsuki in important competitions, possibly against other schools, that's the fuction of elite groups like this in schools, normally.

Competitions against other schools is just a future plan though, if you want to go even ahead, you can think of the possibility that the series is going to continue after Souma & co. leave Tootsuki. The Alumni appears all the time and we end up thinking that a challenge of Souma against them would be awesome. However, it is not the real reason for a story after school. The reason is that Souma has to win upon his father and his father is not in the school anymore.

suimikado

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
We don't know what Elite Ten actually do because the main characters of the story are not there yet. A new world will be unveiled when Souma and the others get there. It's logical to think that Elite Ten represents Tootsuki in important competitions, possibly against other schools, that's the fuction of elite groups like this in schools, normally.
I think you're right about that one. But still, i don't see any convincing reason for the need of new culinary school. Well, i think there should at least one urgency for another school to appear and new rival and rivalry is indeed acceptable reason for this when souma reach a number seat in elite ten. But....there should be a different traits and specialties in that new school. Something that makes the two schools have their own identities. If this is not going to happen, then i think the quality of the story will fall apart and add another inconsistencies in the way the authors work (well, i think this manga's story, so far, developed in a rational way and so "tsukuda yuuto-like" plot - if the new school doesn't have something that makes difference from Tootsuki then it won't be "tsukuda yuuto-like" again)

Impossibility

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
It's pretty obvious that there are other cooking schools. Whether or not these other schools have any influence on the events of the manga is another issue entirely. Prior to the most recent chapters, I would've considered it likely. After the Autumn Election's results, I'm somewhat doubtful. It's possible that Souma faces others outside of Tootsuki; however, I doubt it's going to be in the context of a school rivalry or competition.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the current arc and what it is focusing on does allow us to confidently state they will be going to be going against other cooking schools at some point in time. It has all the traditional types of activities people do in vocational type schools.

I wonder if it will be a school from JPN or an international one.

Tabaro Foka

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
It can be made competition among best culinary schools from the world.Top 10 of ever school student.
-spain
Italy
-Brazil
-china
-USA
-Russia