Seinen - Kabu no Isaki by Ashinano Hitoshi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Kabu no Isaki by Ashinano Hitoshi

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Since I don't see the thread, there you have...​

Kabu no Isaki by Ashinano Hitoshi

Kabu no Isaki
by Ashinano Hitoshi the same author of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Adventure - Sci-fi - Seinen - Slice of Life

From wiki:

Isaki is a young airplane pilot who flies a Piper Super Cub. The Cub is owned by the beautiful Shiro, and Isaki often flies errands for her as a way to pay for his use of the plane. Shiro's younger sister Kajika is also capable of flying the plane and occasionally accompanies Isaki on his journeys.

Kabu no Isaki shares many characteristic hallmarks of Ashinano's style: fascination with aeronautical themes; a setting in the future; a setting on and around the Miura peninsula; a vision of Japan that is isolated and nostalgic; and a natural world full of mystery that the protagonists explore with a sense of wonder. As such there are many parallels with Ashinano's previous work Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō.

Just wonderful!!

The manga is already complete in Japan (6 volumes), and Roselia Edited Mangas group is translating it into English. They go in vol 5, and the last chapter has been released 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

MattC302

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I caught up to this series recently, and while it isn't quite as charming as YKK(not that I really expect it to compare with just 31 chapters scanned so far), it is still pretty good.

What would really do it for me is if some YKK style "mysteries" were written into the story, like the Misago, those mushrooms with faces, and that enormous glider(I got really excited reading chapter 3 because the Macon II reminded me of the huge glider).

The world is kind of intriguing. It's obviously not based in real life, modern times or any time in the past. I really like the idea of this being a YKK prequel. That would make my day if the author made even the slightest of hints to that(that's why I got so excited seeing the Macon II. Perhaps it is the predecessor to the giant glider).

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I caught up to this series recently, and while it isn't quite as charming as YKK(not that I really expect it to compare with just 31 chapters scanned so far), it is still pretty good.

What would really do it for me is if some YKK style "mysteries" were written into the story, like the Misago, those mushrooms with faces, and that enormous glider(I got really excited reading chapter 3 because the Macon II reminded me of the huge glider).

The world is kind of intriguing. It's obviously not based in real life, modern times or any time in the past. I really like the idea of this being a YKK prequel. That would make my day if the author made even the slightest of hints to that(that's why I got so excited seeing the Macon II. Perhaps it is the predecessor to the giant glider).
Kumabashi no koto is a one shot from the same author and it's clearly a prequel of Kabu no Isaki. Hitoshi wrote it after YKK and before Kabu no Isaki. (So Kabu no Isaki can't be a YKK prequel). The main idea is just beautiful and it's expressed beautifully in both stories. If you haven't read it, and since this one is the first page (so it wouldn't be a spoiler), surely you will find some echoes of YKK on this oneshot:

Atm, I do like Alpha and Kokone and Misago very much. But Shirosan, to me, is just absolutely fantastic. :-) Of course, all of them are unique. But.... (I say at the moment, because I'm reading YKK in the collective reading of it we are doing here in mangahelpers - links on my sig).

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Kumabashi no koto is a one shot from the same author and it's clearly a prequel of Kabu no Isaki. Hitoshi wrote it after YKK and before Kabu no Isaki. (So Kabu no Isaki can't be a YKK prequel). The main idea is just beautiful and it's expressed beautifully in both stories. If you haven't read it, and since this one is the first page (so it wouldn't be a spoiler), surely you will find some echoes of YKK on this oneshot:

Atm, I do like Alpha and Kokone and Misago very much. But Shirosan, to me, is just absolutely fantastic. :-) Of course, all of them are unique. But.... (I say at the moment, because I'm reading YKK in the collective reading of it we are doing here in mangahelpers - links on my sig).
Oh, I see. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

EDIT: I just read it, and...how do you figure that it is "clearly a prequel to Kabu no Isaki"?

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Then, if you haven't read it, you should just read Position... (Warning: don't read mangaupdates neither batoto's introductory note. They just spoil a chapter).

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

I think that instead of "prequel", you are meaning to say "spiritual predecessor", because there is no indication that the stories or worlds are connected at all. That is, unless we see little people riding on bees later in Kabu no Isaki.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I think that instead of "prequel", you are meaning to say "spiritual predecessor", because there is no indication that the stories or worlds are connected at all. That is, unless we see little people riding on bees later in Kabu no Isaki.
Ahhh yes! I thought that was the meaning of 'prequel' with out checking the dictionary (my English is not good sometimes). Thanks for the correction.

I see two elements that support the idea that Kumabashi... is a spiritual predecessor of Kabu no Isaki. The first one is sketched in this page:

Roughly you can see here the idea that what is important when you fly is the act of fly not, for instance the time you spend on that. Later in Kabu no Isaki a similar idea seems to have bloomed in the lines said by Shirosan in this page:

"When you fly this Cub of mine the destination and such... they're of secondary importance". Isn't that line absolutely fantastic? What is of primary importance is to fly or to be in the flight.

And also in the whole chapter 14, which "Dragonflies" nicely presents the idea: First Shirosan is told by Isaki about Sayori and her enthusiasm for business. But she doesn't seem to be interested on it. After that in the following pages, Shirosan seems to be paying attention to the wind and to the dragonflies, and suddenly, in the middle of her conversation with Isaki, she decides to take a ride. There's no much fuel in the cup but she takes off. And in the following pages Isaki offers the explanation of the idea:

"Just as steady as those birds up there, like a hawk, or maybe a dragonfly..." but it's not something done for fun. And after that Ashinano-sensei shows us Shirosan lets herself be driven by the wind just as dragonflies do:

And to point it clearly, he shows us that Shirosan flies with out handing the cup's rudder:

There I say the important thing in flying is to fly or to be in the flight. That idea is just beautiful and the whole manga is just magnificent in presenting it. I think that sense of freedom is what the Ashinano tries represent in Shirosan's hair in this panel, that, to me, it's like a masterpiece:

Sorry for the long post, but, ey... I had to say it. It's just absolutely magnificent...

Coming back to the spiritual predecessor topic, also in Kumabashi we can see the game with the proportions and sizes that later on it's presented in Kabu no Isaki (the tower of 3333 mt or those giants plants in which Kajika lands).

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

This idea of being as steady as a dragonfly is something that appears again in his manga Position, in the seventh story:

It's an important topic used by the author. I don't know if that idea appears in YKK because I'm reading it now and I go just in volume 3. But I hope it appears there too.

---------- Post added July 05, 2013 at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was July 03, 2013 at 09:46 PM ----------

Now that I have read the chpater of the huge glider, the Tarpon, in YKK... thanks for not spoiling my reading of it. :-)

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Now that I have read the chpater of the huge glider, the Tarpon, in YKK... thanks for nor spoiling my reading of it. :-)
Sorry for bringing that up. You spoke so passionately about YKK, that I thought you had finished it already. If you love it this much already, I'm pretty sure it is going to be your favorite manga of all time by the end :hee

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Sorry for bringing that up. You spoke so passionately about YKK, that I thought you had finished it already. If you love it this much already, I'm pretty sure it is going to be your favorite manga of all time by the end :hee
No sorries please :^_^. You didn't spoil my reading at all. I share you this comment I wrote in the collective reading for YKK about the connections and common images among all 4 comics of Ashinano: the gliders (YKK, Kumabashi no koto and Position), the canvas (YKK), the dragonflies (Kabu no Isaki), the cup (Kabu no Isaki)... (We are reading vol 3 there).

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Well, I was leaning(and hoping) towards the Blacknose actually being a living creature, but now that we see that it can go from the plane to that walking stick, I am now leaning back towards it being an advanced AI. We'll see...or maybe not. Maybe it will be left a mystery like lots of things from YKK.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Well, I was leaning(and hoping) towards the Blacknose actually being a living creature, but now that we see that it can go from the plane to that walking stick, I am now leaning back towards it being an advanced AI. We'll see...or maybe not. Maybe it will be left a mystery like lots of things from YKK.
It could be a spirit that can incarnate in different devices, lol. You're right about the mystery. The story doesn't need an explanation of how that works to be good.
I was waiting for Mt Fuji in this chapter, but I guess I will take one or two chapters more. Now, that they are going right to the top, that takes me by surprise. I thought it was going to be a good view of Mt Fuji, but a view from top's Mt Fuji... wow!

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
It could be a spirit that can incarnate in different devices, lol. You're right about the mystery. The story doesn't need an explanation of how that works to be good.
I was waiting for Mt Fuji in this chapter, but I guess I will take one or two chapters more. Now, that they are going right to the top, that takes me by surprise. I thought it was going to be a good view of Mt Fuji, but a view from top's Mt Fuji... wow!
I'm excited to see the view from Mt. Fuji. If it's a clear view, it could bring some insight into the world. The story is clearly set in the real world with the Blacknoses going to Tokyo Tower and the Tower of the Sun, but it is also very clearly not based on our real world modern times. I think it could be just like YKK where it is set in the future after a "semi-apocalypse". Maybe we will get a good view of Tokyo and see what the state of the world is. And maybe a few more interesting mysteries will be revealed.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Such a tease chapter. I'm going to have to go back and reread this little adventure all in one go when it is over.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
This chapter echoes in my mind with this YKK's page:

People who fly al the time (Isaki and co), people who walk all the time (in this case Shirosan). The point is that in both cases the character are travelling for pleasure (not work) and also certain apathy towards towards labour. It's much more evident in Shirosan, but her point keeps working through the whole manga: "When you fly this Cub of mine the destination and such... they're of secondary importance".

To me, Isaki is the adolescent who finds his way and discovers the life and a sense of liberty flying the cup. But Shirosan is the soul of the story. I love her.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Is Izu = Mt Fuji?

tristanthorn, Kabu no Isaki's translator answers:

Good question!
In the above map, the Izu peninsula is in the west, Mt.Fuji is directly above Izu, and the Miura peninsula (where Kabu no Isaki and YKK are set) is in the East. So in Kabu c.34, Shiro-san is in Miura loking North-west across Sagami bay towards Mt.Fuji.

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
The girl in chapter 35 kind of reminds me of something. Maybe a little bit of Alpha and a little bit of Misago.

Also, 30,000m! That's one big mountain. Did something happen to make Mt. Fuji grow so big?

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
hehe, she reminded me of Sensei Koumishi in her youth:

About the size of Mt Fuji, I think is some kind of game Ashinano has. He likes to play with it here and there in all his works. In Kumabashi no koto, the traveller who rides the bee is minute. And in YKK the landmark tower is huge, and early on Kabu no Isaki, there are giant leafs in which a plane can land. Like if it were a poetic image or symbol... like something that simply can happen and uses to happen in that fantasy world in which their characters live.

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

Your idea of reading the whole arc about this travel in one go, should be the best to do here to make sense of it. The releasing pace is killing me.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Why did I decide to catch up again even though it's not finished yet???? Beautiful chapters as expected. Always love when Ashinano shows natures brutal beauty. So overwhelming!
Also, the thought that once I finished this I have no more Ashinano to read is killing me.

And I agree with Matt, that lady was like a mixture of Alpha and Misago.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Roselia scans has released 15 chapters since Feb. With 13 chapters to go, we'll have it complete by Dec, I guess. It's a good pace, only that this travel to Mt Fuji seems a bit long.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, it's not like really much is happening. And December seems so far........ Guess I'll just wait until it's finished. I prefer reading completed series anyway.