Movies - Lord of the Rings General Discussion! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Lord of the Rings General Discussion!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
If we're going to have a Star Wars discussion thread, then we'd better have a LoTR discussion thread too!!! :p

If you want to talk about anything LoTR-related at all, you're in the right place. :)

I'm a BIG fan of both the LoTR books but especially the movies. I still love the first movie the most. I watched it about 17 times in the theater when it came out. There was nothing like watching the beginning of the journey of the Fellowship, and when that Balrog came out of the fires, I was completely awestruck. I just loved it. What about you? Which one of the movies did you like the most?

Also, anything else that comes to mind regarding the books, movies, games, etc... talk away! :knk

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah I love the Lord of the Rings. :hearts

I have been a very long time fan of the books and have read thru them numerous times.

When I finally saw that they were coming out with the movies I was soooo excited. My friend and I stood in line for hours to see the Fellowship on opening day. I also thought that the Balrog was handled really really well, but so was the music and damn near everything else. o_o

Hahah I remember at work we downloaded the whole movie after it had been out for a bit and everyone I worked with would sit down and we would watch a tiny bit of it everyday at lunch time. Those are some fun memories for me.

In fact I was even considering picking up the books by Christopher Tolkien, but I was not too sure how much I would be able to get into them since it looked like a lot of history and not too much actual story. Has any one here actually read those yet?

You know I have so much to say about this subject I am not even sure where to start. I guess that I will just add in thoughts as other people post. :)

abdulahi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have to be honest i didnt know of LoTR books till the movies came out, after i watched the first film, i went and brought the books, and i loved it. loved it, loved it, loved it. but in all honesty even tho the books are more detailed i liked the movies more. esp the 1st, maybe beacuse it was my first taste of LoTR saga, and they do say the first taste is always the sweetest.

dont you just love the war epic fantasy world created here. if i could be any character from the saga it would have to be Legolas Greenleaf, his just to cool.

games i thought was ok but i thought each one i played (i only played those on ps2) got to repeative to quick so not a major fan there.

but i dont know how you watched it 17 times GK, i've only seen ep1 7 times, and i thought that was to much but never the less LoTR Rules.

''Middle Earth comes alive...in breathtaking detail'' quote taken from imdb.com

hatakescarecrow

Reaction score
I just wanna ask this.......
In the book, gimli went to the west. Isn't elves and ring bearers only allowed to set sail?

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway
First read the books when I was eight, and in english when I was 10. ^_^

I've always loved them, and the movies was damn near perfect. :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
hatakescarecrow said:
I just wanna ask this.......
In the book, gimli went to the west. Isn't elves and ring bearers only allowed to set sail?
Probably because he was a friend of Legolas, but not sure.

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gold Knight said:
Probably because he was a friend of Legolas, but not sure.
Actually it does say somewhere in the book that given special circumstances they will allow someone to make the journey with them into the west. That was the case with Frodo, Bilbo, and apprently Gimli since they were all from the Fellowship. Although I am sure being friends with Legolas has something to do with it as well.

hatakescarecrow

Reaction score
Then question 2 that bugs me

Tom Bombadil....What is he????

walkie

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
an ancient god :s well i dont think anybody have some clear info about him...

if someone can hold ring and do not get effected, he must be stronger than "the eye", isnt he?

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not think that it ever really says who he is.

Personally I found him annoying and it was the one part of the series that I was happy did not make it into the movies. :notrust

You know there might be a bit more about him in the Sillmarilion, but I can not say for certain. It is supposed to be the history of Middle Earth after all. When I read that book it was a long time ago and was rather intimidating to me. To date I have never read a more difficult book. I mean it had a index of names that was over a 100 pages long! Need I say more? o_o

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Wikipedia says:

Tom Bombadil's origins in the cosmology of Middle-earth have puzzled even erudite fans, as he is arguably the only character in Tolkien's entire legendarium who does not neatly fit into any of the categories of beings Tolkien created. Speculative ideas about his true nature range from simply a wise Elven hermit to an angelic being (a Maia or Vala), to the creator, that is, God, who is called Eru Ilúvatar in J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium. Tolkien explicitly denied this last possibility.

The most popular theory is that Bombadil is a Maia, as Tom seems to have unlimited supernatural power inside the boundaries that he set for himself, and perhaps the reason why he has such powers is the fact that he is content to live within these limits. "Eldest, that's what I am ... Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn ... He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside." The Dark Lord Bombadil refers to is probably Melkor and not Sauron. But in that case, Tom was already there even before the Valar entered the world, dismissing the theory that he is a Maia. Another argument against the Maia theory is his immunity to the corrupting power of the One Ring, whereas both Saruman and Gandalf, both Maiar, were clearly not immune. In addition, he is eager to protect the Hobbits from danger within his own domain, yet is completely indifferent to the threat to Middle Earth as a whole, which is paradoxical and also uncharacteristic of a Maia.

Bombadil could be part of the Music of the Ainur and that would explain why he was there in the beginning, but if he was indeed part of the music, it is not said why he exists. Everything in the music had a purpose, and Bombadil's is not explained.

Other possibilities (compatible with the above theory) are that he is an abstract, a concept: possibly the embodiment of Arda itself, a "Father Nature," or some kind of 'spirit' that (unlike the Maiar) was of non-divine nature. Not only does the Ring have no effect on him, Tom himself seems unable to affect the Ring in return which shows that Tom was outside the divine plan and struggle and had no position in it.

Another possibility for Tom Bombadil's nature arises from careful reading of the Ainulindalë, when Eru Ilúvatar proclaims, "Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the world, and the World shall Be." It is a possibility that Tom Bombadil is some sort of guardian or protector of the Imperishable Flame. If one considers Bombadil's constant reference to "water, wood, and hill," three common motifs Tolkien uses to describe Middle Earth, it is possible to see how Bombadil is an encapsulation of Arda as it should be. There is substantial debate among those who choose this view regarding the exact nature of the Flame itself, yet it is another possibility that must be considered.

Gandalf calls Tom Bombadil the eldest being in existence; this is also evident by his Sindarin name Iarwain Ben-adar (Eldest and Fatherless). Dwarves called him Forn, Men Orald. All these names apparently mean "Eldest." However, Fangorn (Treebeard) calls himself the eldest living being of Middle-earth and that he was there before anyone else. Bombadil is just called the 'eldest.' If Tom Bombadil is indeed not a normal being but rather a supernatural being or "concept" this is, however, not necessarily a contradiction (Treebeard is likely the oldest living being, while Bombadil could be an older supernatural being). Concerning Fangorn, Tolkien remarked: "Fangorn is a character in my story and even he does not know everything." Tom Bombadil was almost certainly created to be an enigma.

In reference to Bombadil, Tolkien himself said that some things should remain mysterious in any narrative, hidden even to its inventor. He also placed the fate of the Entwives in this category, as well as the Cats of Queen Berúthiel, although hints of the latter story have emerged in posthumously released materials.

It is clear, though, that Bombadil was not, in Tolkien's conception, part of Middle-earth from the start. He was invented in honour of his children's Dutch doll, about whom Tolkien would invent stories. These predate the writing of The Lord of the Rings. Tom Bombadil was, however, part of The Lord of the Rings from the earliest drafts.

It is possible that Tolkien's reference to "the Doom of Man" being hidden to the minds of the Valar hint at Tom's true identity. It should be noted that none of the characters in The Lord of the Rings could know of Iluvatar's (God's) plans for mankind's fate after death. However, Tolkien, as a devout Christian, believed that man's fate was salvation at the hands of the Son of God.

Similar to the hidden doom of man, Tom Bombadil may be a reference of things that occur after the end of the events of the The Lord of the Rings, during the age of man and the entrance of Christianity. He is a player completely outside the events of The Lord of the Rings, awaiting, perhaps, the fruition of Iluvatar's final creation song. It may be that Bombadil is a manifestation of Christ Himself. However, most serious scholars refute this assertion, as the presence of Christ before the historicity of his appearance does not mesh well with Tolkien's very seriously-held Catholic views.

Despite that last paragraph, I'd tend to still think he's just an allusion to Christ, though. But who knows.

I would recommend just using your imagination. :)

walkie

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
waow great info about tom's identity..thanx GK ;)

at least i come close with my prediction.."an ancient god" :D

hatakescarecrow

Reaction score
Ok discuss about this than.........Who was great morgoth or sauron?????

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States
You know honestly it has been such a long time since I have read the Silmarillion that the details are rather fuzzy to me. :amuse

So to get this topic moving again. What are some of your favorite scenes in either the books or the movies?

Risado

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't seen any of the films in ages, but the moments I remember the most are:

Fellowship: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

Return of the King: "No man can kill me."... *removes helmet*"I am no man!"

In Return of the King, when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas jumped out of the boat, and hundreds of ghosts followed them.

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
but in all honesty even tho the books are more detailed i liked the movies more
Yeah I read the books and thought it was good fantasy litterature, but when I saw the movies I was like "WOAH!". It's actually the first time and the only case I have seen where the movie is better than the book. Kudos to Tolkien for inspiring the making of such a great movie.

Return of the King: "No man can kill me."... *removes helmet*"I am no man!"
I thought that was the cheesiest line ever. No offense but when he said "man", it wasn't supposed to be litterally man, lol

Risado

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rampages said:
I thought that was the cheesiest line ever. No offense but when he said "man", it wasn't supposed to be litterally man, lol
lol. i said memorable, not best.

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You mean memorable in a bad way ? :p

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The first was the most complete in regards to the way in which it was put together and fulfilled its purpose!

The second was good as well, i think they're kinda lost it with the third one!

shinsengumi

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
i wonder if anybody else have noticed this..since i'm a cinema student,its part of my job to catch these mistakes.
in the third movie,at the black gates of mordor,where aragorn made his bravery speech to the army.he and everybody else were riding horses. then the scene cut to frodo and sam for a while. then when it was back to the army, there were no horses anywhere ^^ everybody was on foot and even in the largest picture,there were no horses shown anywhere.did they just eat them xD
i cant understand how such a mistake could be done.its prolly because of the long breaks between the shooting of the scenes, but again,its not something like forgeting the feather on the hat, god damn hundreds of horses.maybe they just thought nobody would notice it,and a head-on clash without horses would be emotionally stronger,so they just cut them out of the scene.but it still doesnt make sense and its a huge mistake how ever you look at it =)