Discussion - Luffy's Journey (How Long Has it Taken?) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Luffy's Journey (How Long Has it Taken?)

IgnorantSage

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I don't know if there is already an existing thread about this but as far as I know there isn't one. If I somehow missed the thread, please delete this one. Now on to the topic.

While reading some of the other threads, it has been mentioned by some of the members that Luffy's voyage has took only about 70 days (manga, not anime). There is a French site listing the length of days it took for each of their adventures. I can't find the link but I'd appreciate it if someone provides it.

I haven't been really thinking much about how long Luffy has been adventuring since he left his village but I was surprised that it took only 70 days or so to get to where he is now.
So far, there is strong proof that this is indeed the case.

I was thinking though if these lists considered the voyages across the sea as only 2-3 days long. I'm not too familiar with sailing but is it possible that the whole adventure (so far) longer than around 70 days, like 100+?

I cannot discuss further since I do not have the timeline yet.

EDIT

Here's the link from the French site: http://www.volonte-d.com/details/temps.php

Thanks Akainu for providing the link.

Last edited:

mugen

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
yeah it hasn't been long
and we usually do hear ...
that Luffy has become a renowned pirate in a short time ...
since his first bounty

Absolutio

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I wonder if someone asked Oda about this.. Alot more interesting than Nami's/Robin's Bra size.. or is it? :p

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
ive been thinking about this a lot actually.

and i was going to try check it up in the manga but 70 days???
that seems hellashort! i mean that 2 months and 10 days, thats nothing!

i always thought they had atleast been sailing for 6 months. atleast!

i would really like an official answer to this

mugen

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
probably Oda avoids this in the SBS...

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
It can be more than 1 year because WB told us that roger's death was 22 years ago. And at the beginning of the manga, it was also 22 year. The strange thing is the physical evolution we see with kobby and hermep.

The french site is , like I said before when i was the first to post it :), very convincing.

They took the data book and they used the distance between each country to estimate time of travel between each town.

One piece is not a coherent manga and never was either. Weird weather , weird geography , weird primes, weird power-up , weird timeline , ... One piece is fun and we don't care about all the incoherences.

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
well, if its true then that planet is about the size of our moon....and thats weird.

but you are correct zellogan, OP is not to be explained with ration its PURE fantasy.

deal with it Boff.
ok Boff.
good Boff.

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes, i agree OP is very very hard to explain.and doing so may take out some of the fun, but the time line that would be something i am shure i would love to have, and ode SBS well since he is a know jokster and very sarcastin i dont really take much of his answers seriously just the ones that u can tell he did thougth about that, and he is not just fireing answers out of his butocks with all do respect

IgnorantSage

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
and i was going to try check it up in the manga but 70 days???
that seems hellashort! i mean that 2 months and 10 days, thats nothing!
That's what I was thinking too. I know it's been said that Luffy was becoming a dangerous threat to the WG so quickly but 3 months? That seems absurd. But then again, OP is absurd and we still love it.

caco

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
i think is more than 1 year becuse coby grow up a lot, so much that luffy didnt know who he was

OP_overlord

Reaction score
Country
United States
its called puberty it could have been like 6 months and it would have done the same to his body
but im going with you it was prob more then a year

ANBU4U

Reaction score
Country
United States
its called puberty it could have been like 6 months and it would have done the same to his body
but im going with you it was prob more then a year
Puberty??? More like Mutation. I've seen puberty do some neat shit, don't get me wrong. But nothing that drastic in less then 3 months. Even taking into consideration fictional exaggeration.

Naelyan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I find it hard to believe too, only 3 months?? I think they might have been sailing between islands longer than we thought... or would it be that luffy and zoro got lost for so long before nami joined them... well, they might have just take it slow on east blue for all we know, since the sailing time is really the one thing you could stretch a lot of time of. I mean, without counting the halt, they almost travel half the planet, so isn't three month a little too fast?

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I say maybe 6-8 months. It's just that alot of that time is just sailing in between islands, and Oda-sensei doesn't show most of that because it'd be boring. He just shows a little for the purposes of comedy and character development, and the rest just skips. Time between Syrup village and Baratie, that was a week or two in the space of like, 5 pages or so. Time from Cocoyashi Village to Loguetown. Time between Alabasta and that ship falling from Skypiea, time between leaving Skypiea and the Davy Back Fight, time spent on Skypiea after defeating Enel, it all adds up, it's just usually only shown in a few pages, because otherwise it would be boring and tedious.

caco

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic
With brook saying that its been 50 years since he left laboon and the old man from the light house from the begining of the grand line saying the same know we know that its been less than 1 year

Edit the old man name is claucus

Last edited:

Naelyan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, it could be around 50 years... I mean, it sounds weird to say they've been gone for 51 years... and being alone for all that time, it's already something brooke could keep track of how much time passed since then. But yeah, even counting sailing time, it could hardly be more than a year.

mugen

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
actually it beens very little
cuz according to Whitebeard in chapter 434 it's still been 22 years since Gol died...
so yeah no time has passed basically

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
No time is even worse than the 70 days. It could well be like someone stated before that they estimate the time no one would say "Oh its been 22 years 7 months 3 days 8hours and 29 seconds since Roger died" right?

In addition to the not shown boring time on the sea - which is filled up with flashbacks in the anime - time works totally diffrent in OP. Thus on the grandline there are some islands still inhabited by dinosaurs and some with a rather high level of technology.

Last edited:

purplerose_04

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
does that mean the time in OP is different then what we expect? like the days are longer, if you actually think and go back to each chapter and count, it hasn't been long at all since some of the islands they only spend a week, after the fight they left so it hasn't been long. it just how long it usually take for them to sail is another thing, we don't know that.