Games - Mafia Game 84 - MH Hydra - END GAME | Page 103 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games Mafia Game 84 - MH Hydra - END GAME

Did you enjoy the game and did you play poorly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Copy Panda

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
China
A long time ago on Hydra Vote Z

omomo

A relatively shorter while ago on Hydra Vote Z

One VanPlan in the backyard later

To be continued...

Last edited:

Purity of Magi

The Witch of Miracles
Reaction score
Country
England
A bit of a flashback of this game

Basically Takuans Lynch being discussed in a nutshell

Confirmed townie basically yet still pointed as suspicious

How to throw a game

Deadpad talk:

How the game basically ended:

How to use logic and gain trust in Raven style

What have we learned?

Nothing.

Mafia game basically

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Ah ok, we were actually tidy so it was easy to make the final updates. Here are the lists:

Santa Gifts (Permanent Role Changes):
  • Mason
  • Mason
  • Doctor (Sane if Town)
  • Spy (Sane)
  • Spirit Medium

And yes mafia was pink just cause pink = pretty red

Last edited:

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Not the first time Panda sharpens the activity or penalty rules for his game, considered it for my games too sometimes but really doubt it helps.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Yeah, since Day 2, we considered that if two people fail to collectively meet the basic rules - and post 3 times + vote once, we could apply harsher penalties. People getting penalized due to those things is recurrent in games and we're not the first hosts to get annoyed by it.

But as Bran said, the main point is: any of the 28 living players could have questioned the treatment by then, on Day 2, if they weren't comfortable with it. It wasn't announced in the OP post but it was highlighted and justified in the voting one, which was also stickied. No one can say they were unaware, imo. After that, there's precedent and it becomes only a metter of applying the same treatment later on...

In any case, a lot of steam has been going around about this and at this point I'm fine with accepting the partial blame for it.

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yeah, since Day 2, we considered that if two people fail to collectively meet the basic rules - and post 3 times + vote once, we could apply harsher penalties. People getting penalized due to those things is recurrent in games and we're not the first hosts to get annoyed by it.

But as Bran said, the main point is: any of the 28 living players could have questioned the treatment by then, on Day 2, if they weren't comfortable with it. It wasn't announced in the OP post but it was highlighted and justified in the voting one, which was also stickied. No one can say they were unaware, imo. After that, there's precedent and it becomes only a metter of applying the same treatment later on...

In any case, a lot of steam has been going around about this and at this point I'm fine with accepting the partial blame for it.
Thoughts on hydra vs normal MG? Afaik you wanted a hydra game for years, did it meet expectations? Would you have enjoyed more hosting a 32-player game instead?

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Ah I did like it a lot. I mean, I didn't play it, but I think I would have enjoyed the duo exchanges about actions, suspicions, strategies, etc, as well. People like playing in parties overall so I guess this way we have everybody playing in small teams. We often see comments like "I wish I was mafia with you", so this way they can pick their own dream buddy.
I see how it seems the concept removed activity from the game thread, but I still think it's temporary? :/ As in, people are doing it for the first time and getting used to it. In a second time, being familiarized with how it works, they'd be more efficient?
The feedback about this point was overall positive as well, and most players enjoyed it. A 16 players comp is simplier than a 32 ones, and the game is faster, so imo the whole thing is less tiring. Dunno what's @Copy Panda 's take on it.

Last edited:

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Ah I did like it a lot. I mean, I didn't play it, but I think I would have enjoyed the duo exchanges about actions, suspicions, strategies, etc, as well. People like playing in parties overall so I guess this way we have everybody playing in small teams. We often see comments like "I wish I was mafia with you", so this way they can pick their own dream buddy.
I see how it seems the concept removed activity from the game thread, but I still think it's temporary? :/ As in, people are doing it for the first time and getting used to it. In a second time, being familiarized with how it works, they'd be more efficient?
The feedback about this point was overall positive as well, and most players enjoyed it. A 16 players comp is simplier than a 32 ones, and the game is faster, so imo the whole thing is less tiring. Dunno what's @Copy Panda 's take on it.
I don't think it was that detrimental to the "activity". What happened early on is that the most active/loud players all got killed and that keeps the activity in general down. This whole "I talked with partner so I did not post enough" thing seems odd to me.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I just think the game is way more about the people than about the role balance and mechanics and what not unless there is some truly game-breaking shit going on and sometimes it's just a bad combination of times/roles/times zones and life situations (becoming an uncle or Covid or whatever).

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
In a nutshell, the only thing I sort of regret is that I couldn't see all the couples interacting.

Building on noona's points , we were hoping that in at least some cases, the partner dynamic would accentuate both players strength. Personally, I expected players that formed their own hydra to have 1. high inter-hydra compatibility and 2. Hydra with disagreeability between styles to be less active on the thread.

Point 1 means that players are unlikely to choose players that they can't agree with (or easily communicate with), and in-pair instabilities are (very) unlikely to occur. Furthermore, such Hydra will be more likely to confide in each other when they get suspicious, another event that saps away activity from the thread. Point 2 means that part of the sparring on ideas that would happen on the thread will happen in the pad. If player A poses a theory in the pad and partner B already disagrees, some of their posting activity will be taken away from the thread and be sharpened in the pads. PRESUMABLY, this would be the greatest advantage the mafia had; players that are prone to talk a lot could talk in the pad and discuss things they'd say beforehand.

Unfortunately, except in the Groovy Hydra case, it would appear as though at least one player in every non-town pairing was kind of inactive (not as though this was their own fault). In fact, in most hydra pairs one player was posting way less compared to their partner. Though disadvantageous in both cases, especially in the mafia case were more brainpower means better plays, you could say this was detrimental to their cause. Maybe at the start there were 8 players in the mafia pad, but over time that number decreased very quickly. Players not communicating with each other, or playing past each other (for all kinds of reasons, all valid) did make it that much harder for this party to play well together. In other words, I didn't really get to test my expectations on this game, because of player circumstance and not seeing any of the pads. Presumably, once people have gotten used to this style of playing, and are less hampered by external influences, the game would play out more smoothly.

In terms of balance, a 16 player game is a bit easier to balance than a 32 people game. Both sides complained about the other side being much stronger, naturally meaning that the game was very balanced. It was mentioned that some of the Santa gifts were spicy, but I thought overall Santa could have influenced the game in spicy ways. The mason discussion between the recruiter and the gifted Shinko was quite funny lol. We chose gifts that would be relevant to the style of play here; masons as a group could form a voting block against the day powers of the mafia (overall, the game was actually meant to stimulate agressive usage of day roles, though the first few days turned out to be quite tame). Part of the game is of course voting out one hydra means killing two players worth of activity. Day phases that take the lives of 4 hydra result in 8 people less posting in the thread, meaning that in the case of some hydra that's a lot of IQ that's removed from the game in one go.

Ultimately I was quite content with this system though. In theory no player should feel alone; having a partner to talk with ought to make a meaningful difference to playstyle, if exposed to the other enough. Next time... I'm not sure if I'd change much. Wanting to see pads is cool, but there's couples like say PomSun that are in promixity of one another and are better off talking irl than in pad. Likewise, players that have their own shared spaces could prefer those (and the privacy it brings). It'll be taken into consideration.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind

Raven

Registored User
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I just realized that what essentially happened at the end was the Seiko Hydra pitting the Shigeru Hydra ('cause Jesus) and the Sei honey Hydra against one another... This is beyond cursed :cookiearf

When even your alter egos don't appreciate your exquisite wordplay
what a ganyes you are.

vindred the ganyes

very ganyes of you.

wordplay btw

Status
Not open for further replies.