Light Novel - Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei by Satou Tsutomu and Ishida Kana | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Light Novel Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei by Satou Tsutomu and Ishida Kana

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Genres: Magic, Romance, School, Sci-Fi, Shounen, Supernatural
Story: Satou Tsutomu
Art: Ishida Kana
Serialized in: Dengeki Bunko Magazine

Synopsis
Magic is a product of neither legends nor fairy tales, but instead has become a technology of reality since a time unknown to people. Supernatural power became a technology systematized through magic, while magic became a technical skill. A "Supernatural Power User" became a "Magic Technician." Magic Technicians (in short, Magicians) are nurtured through Magic High Schools and Universities.

This is a story about:

Tatsuya, a defective elder brother low achiever.
Miyuki, a perfect, flawless younger sister high achiever.
After both siblings entered a Magic High School,
The stage of daily turbulence was unveiled ---.

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

I think this is one of the best light novels, just really can connect with just about every character and its often pretty intense and surprising. Gram Demolition/Dispersion and Material Burst are some of the more creative abilities Ive seen in the field. . Nine Schools Competition arc is so far my favorite and then the Yokohama one. Have to read Visitor Arc once one of the chapters is finally done...

Mikihiko and Leo are underrated, Leo's defense and abilities and that sword CAD he used from Tatsuya, and then Mikihiko's spirits.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

Completed the 2 first volumes. The manga adaptation is near the end of volume 2 apparently, Tatsuya is even cooler in the LN and Miyuki is... creepier:s. Vol 3 is pretty interesting so far.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Took long enough finally the anime that Ive been waiting for many months now. I see my Leo and even Tatsuya, hope next pv has Mikihiko and some of Tatsuya's trade mark skills.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

I read volumes 3-7 and I love it, currently reading volume 8 :awe. There was a lot of infodump in the 3 first volumes but it became significantly better. I'll post my thoughts on the arcs later.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

I read volumes 3-7 and I love it, currently reading volume 8 :awe. There was a lot of infodump in the 3 first volumes but it became significantly better. I'll post my thoughts on the arcs later.
I always like the ramblings of Tatsuya into the systems of magic and what not.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

It's not that I don't like that. But when I see it many times, I can't help but think "Again?!"

I caught up! At least I read the 11 volumes on BT.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

It's not that I don't like that. But when I see it many times, I can't help but think "Again?!"

I caught up! At least I read the 11 volumes on BT.
How is volume 11, Im on chp 15 (it is so long that I can only read a few paragraphs at a time). I loved the initial moments with epic Tatsuya.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

Of course, it's epic. It's like the "end" of the 1st part of the novel IMO.

Tatsuya's band try to find the parasites with Pixie, who call themselves Demons and this time, all his band have a role to play, Honoka shown more of her power.

Many factions fought for their personal goals at First High training ground to retrieve them. We have:
Tatsuya's group, Lina, Kudou's faction, the Kurobas etc. At the end only two parasites are alive, the bodies are retrieved by Yotsuba and Kudou.
Lina is humiliated again, say goodbye to the siblings, Shizuku returns( Ray is one of the 7 Sages and gave her messages to deliver to Tatsuya). End of the 1st Year, Mayumi and her friends are going to University in different schools(at least Mari, I hope Mayumi won't disappear because she is by far my favorite female character but it's just my opinion... At least there is Erika), and say goodbye to Tatsuya as well.

In the end, Sakurai's clone is sent by Maya to live with the siblings as the 2nd guardian of Miyuki. There is a Mayumi special chapter at the end.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh yes finally finished volume 11 this week so far. The Visitor arc is probably my third favorite arc (liked the Pixie character, and Tatsuya major fight here was just utterly cool and amazing. I also enjoyed continued Mikihiko presence and importance. Leo could have had a bit more vital importance and didnt need to be taken out of commission for so long (these three are why I enjoyed the Nine Schools Competition the most)), and Tatsuya/Miyuki Cocytus moment..stunning)).

I cant wait for v12, maybe instead of waiting for the whole volume, Ill read it as the chapters come out, assuming they do it in chronological order instead of chp 8, chp 3, chp 10, chp 1, and so on...

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The first chapters of V12 are translated, I can finally start reading it.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh Yes will get to chapter one today then, I had read the prologue (very sciency) and the introduction earlier this week. They are really cranking it out.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Chapter 2 is translated. I still haven't read the first one.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter 2 is translated. I still haven't read the first one.
Theyre both pretty short conversation chapters. Chp 2 was hilarious to me.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Is there any information regarding the anime?

It´s been a while since i have read the novel, i think i stopped after finishing volume 7, so i actually wanted to wait for the anime and continue with the novel where the anime will conclude.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Is there any information regarding the anime?

It´s been a while since i have read the novel, i think i stopped after finishing volume 7, so i actually wanted to wait for the anime and continue with the novel where the anime will conclude.
Since they shown Mikihiko it's almost confirmed Nine Schools Competition arc will be adapted. I think it will be a 2-cour and it takes roughly 4 episodes to adapt a volume usually. I think they'll adapt Yokohama Disturbance arc, maybe not entirely but they will, even if they adapt it entirely, they won't get past Volume 8 IMO.

---------- Post added December 09, 2013 at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was December 08, 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

I finally read the chapters

I like how this 2nd year is starting, Tatsuya is no more a Weed and Mikihiko is a Bloom. I was expecting this. Minami's addition is goo too, Tatsuya and Miyuki's interactions when they are alone are always of the same, I don't like Miyuki very much but I like when her brocon is a part of the comedy like that.
I had guessed the two girls on the cover were Mayumi sisters but I think one of them had blond hair in a illustration. At least I am sure Mayumi is going to have some apparitions in this volumes.
Tatsuya is again drawing attention and it seems Shizuku loves him? Everybody wants to know more about him now. I don't remember if Kitayama is from the Hundred families but I find it weird that his brother can't use magic( loled at him being intimidated by Miyuki), maybe he is a BS magician?
That actress could be the one from Volume 05 but I think they would have remembered, maybe they know each others( or maybe plastic surgery? :derp)

---------- Post added December 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was December 09, 2013 at 10:46 AM ----------

Chapter 4 is translated!

---------- Post added December 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was December 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM ----------

I am up to Chapter 6 actually. Mayumi proves again that she is the best girl of the series, her interactions with Tatsuya are just too good. I like the Saegusa twins too. The freshmen trio is interesting even though Takuma is a bit weird.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Mayumi better than The Electron Sorceress and Miyuki? In what world is this?

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Mayumi better than The Electron Sorceress and Miyuki? In what world is this?
Mayumi>>>Erika>> Maya>The rest:3c

Koichi is becoming more important in this second year. He us not a bad guy but he will clearly be an antagonist.
We have a rivalry between Yotsubas(who are appearing more and more) and Saegusas( 2 new members gain more importance in this week) and also the Shipou family who wants to surpass the Saegusas... War incoming?
I really want to know the Saegusa sons now...

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fumiya is my favorite introduced so far, he's really funny (chp 4 v 12)