Shounen - Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san by Aiko Koyama | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san by Aiko Koyama

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san

Author : Koyama Aiko
Genre : Shonen, Slice of Life, cooking
Magazine : Shonen Sunday

Synopsis :

A fluffy & heartwarming slice of life that get us to learn a lot about Japanese traditions especially regarding Maiko & Geishas and a lot of homemade food !

"Within the winding streets of Kyoto's geisha district, there lives a 16 year old girl named Kiyo. After failing to become a Maiko, an apprentice traditional Japanese performer, Kiyo works as the caterer for her troupe. This is the story of her daily life." (Source : Mangadex )

Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san won the 65th Shogakukan Manga Awards (2019) in the shounen category

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Still reading this manga, its incredibly comfy and cute, there's a subtle romance that is built gradually, it's sweet and adorable so far, characters are genuinely kind. theres a lot of cultural informations for anyone who loves Japanese culture and wants to know more about Kyoto and more precisely maiko/geisha universe, and a lot of home made comfy food. theres so far around 160 chap out, but they re short ( around 11/12 pages) and quick to read.

Romance : Sumire, Kiyo and Kenta are 3 friends we get to see a lot flashbacks from when they were children, they really get along, we learn gradually (we start to get hints around chap 70 i think) that Kenta loves Kiyo, the caterer (she's the clumsiest of the 2 girls) we get to know that Sumire (the prettiest the one everyone calls perfect), is in love with Kenta, however it's not the usual love triangle, she knows he likes Kiyo and she supports him, theres no drama, no hard feeling or jealousy, at least for now.

Cultural references : a lot of informations is provided, real places are mentioned like this coffee shop in Kyoto.

i want to go there, it looks so yummy ! :wtf

exple of nformations about Maiko's life, etiquette etc.

and a lot of translator's notes for more infos ( props to them)

ref to that page :

Friendship and romance
childhood sweet memories, there's a ton of them in the story.

Sumire is aware about Kenta's feelings for Kiyo

She loves him but still when she went to pray in the shrine she wishes for his happiness :zomg ( i actually ship him with Kiyo rather than Sumire)

I really like it and would recommend it to anyone who wants some sweet/heartwarming reading. Also, the manga won the 65th Shogakukan Manga Awards (2019) in the shounen category.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I caught up this recently, theres so far 174 chapters but short, its easy to catch up. Honestly, its really good, we get to see each character growing up / starting their career, its adorable, comfy but not cheesy, and the romance is sweet and it builds up smoothly.
The anime will start soon, next week. i have no idea if it will be good or not, but even if i ends up great theres very high probability the manga is way better, i wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who want some relaxing, wholesome reading, sweet romances and for anyone interested in Japanese culture and anyone who loves food/cooking.

Anime trailer

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I like the Kiyo x Kenta moments in the last chapters, and how she instinctively knew he was ill. Seriously Kiyo is such a sweet girl, and I ship her so badly with him, I do love all 3 characters. They all have their own charms and pleasant moments, their difficulties to overcome, except maybe for Suu. But I believe Kenta x Kiyo is the best outcome. I love how the story focuses to on each character's growth, how it reveals it gradually, and the peaceful, cozy atmosphere of this criminally underrated manga :zomg

Some selected panels, I love how the authors manages to mix memories with present time story.

Too bad the manga is on hiatus :(

Last edited: