Discussion - Manga Club - #01 Reading & Sharing "Insomniacs After School" | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Manga Club - #01 Reading & Sharing "Insomniacs After School"

Selecting the collective reading story for October:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Hello and welcome to the Manga Club!

Presentation and General Rules
This is a collective read spot where we'll be periodically selecting series to be shared. We aim to have people introducing their favorite hidden gems to the community - series we hardly or never heard about and that really deserve some love and attention. So here's the Manga Club format:
  • Any member can join the club! Just post here saying you wanna be a part of it. The moment you do it, you'll be added to the current rotation. You can participate the reading and the discussions even if you don't join the suggestions part. You are also allowed to suggest manhuas and manhwas, completed series and oneshots.
  • The series rotation format follows these phases: suggesting, selecting, reading and sharing (explained in the section bellow).
  • Avoid suggesting series that already have a dedicated discussion thread, we don't wanna shift the focus from it. In case someone suggests one of those, we'll debate if it will be included as an option for the Manga Club or if the person will be requested to suggest something else.
  • The first volume of the selected series will be recommended for the reading cycle. Anyone is free to read further, but spoiler tags will be mandatory in the discussion/review thread in case events that only happen past that initial one volume are to be mentioned.

Rotations and Current Calendar
The rotations are monthly and the dates for each phase will be added to this thread once a round starts. Every start of the month, this thread will be updated to follow the calendar bellow:
  • 1st week - suggesting: during this time, every member of the club has to suggest one series for the pool. If the member suggested a series in the previous month that wasn't selected for the reading, he can chose to resuggest the series or to provide a new one.
  • 2nd week - selecting: once the pool is formed with the suggestions from all club members, in the first day of the second week, a poll will be added to this thread. To help people selecting the series to be read, details about each of them will be add and pinned here in this thread.
  • 3rd and 4th weeks - reading and sharing: the members have these two weeks to read and discuss the series. People can do so in their own pace, within this time, and start sharing their thoughts about the series whenever. Spoiler tags are mandatory before the third week ends, though.

#02 Manga Club Rotation Calendar

• Suggesting Phase: from Oct 1st to Oct 7th.
  • Selecting Phase: from Oct 8th to Oct 14th.
  • Reading and Sharing Phase: from Oct 15th to Oct 31st.

Participants and Suggestions
  • I sold my life for ten thousand yen per year (by Farfalla)
  • Insomniacs After School (by Erinyes)
  • Ichigeki (by Ramen)
  • Our Dreams at Dusk (by MarmaladeSky)
  • Yozakura Quartet (by Sky)
  • May I Ask for One Final Thing (by Juviii)
  • The Gods Lie (by revo)
  • They were Eleven (by Faust)
  • Hotel: since 2079 (by Hardy)
  • Yankee-kun to hakujou Gaaru (by Tatsumaki)
  • Knights of Sidonia (by Copy Panda)
  • Cats are Facing West (by Ustegius)

Please discuss the series in this thread.

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Alright, guys! We'll be reading Insomniacs After School (Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia), suggested by @Erinyes !

I was in an appointment and got a meeting now, but I'll post some general rules shortly after.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ok, so just to recap the rule about the reading and discussing phase:
  • The first volume of the selected series will be recommended for the reading cycle. Anyone is free to read further, but spoiler tags will be mandatory in the discussion/review thread in case events that only happen past that initial one volume are to be mentioned.

Basically, we can start reading and discussing the series already \^^/ To keep this model flowing, we'll be reading the first volume (first 8 chapters in this case), and we're all free to continue reading the series and allowed to mention further topics here, as long as we use spoiler tags not to ruin the experience for the ones that are behind or will continue in another time. This is an ongoing series so I really hope you guys enjoy it and keep following it. It has a cat :zomg

In November 1st, another rotation starts in a new thread, and we'll focus on a different series, but this thread will remain available for any talk regarding Insomniacs After School. After the new rotation starts, the use of spoiler tags won't be demanded anymore (and hopefully we can create a dedicated place for the series). Cheers~

Last edited:

Copy Panda

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
China
First 30 chapters ish

Funnily enough, I'm a bit sleep deprived reading this (and have been for a few days now). My neck and back are hurting, so uncomfortable. If this seems a little salty it's probs because of that

Innocent story. The insomnia is an interesting crutch for two characters to bond over. Staying up all night to play around is sth I'm certainly familiar with. The characters seem rather generic (though likeable). Their budding romance is rather sweet.

The art is passable; it's not trashy but it has nothing going for it (both style and designs are mediocre). Nothing criminal but quite bland.

The story I don't particularly like. I thought they'd talk more about the insomnia (why they can't sleep), the effects (they aren't even groggy, they say they feel so but it's barely noticable) or the consequences (he studies all night to get better scores because he has more time and she... idk what she does but go out to adventure). As an insomniac (or a former one at least) there aren't any 'hooks' to latch on and as a reader, there's nothing in here I find particularly compelling.

The characters... Idk... They sure sleep a lot for a manga about people who can't fall asleep. There was this bit earlier on they divided the observatory but only did so for a single chapter, I feel? It all feels rather superfluous.

Judgment: Unfortunately, something I'll have forgotten soon enough

Last edited:

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Dooone with the first volume \o/
Ok now I saw why some people weren't fond of the art. Some panels look a bit blotched, yeah XD with crooked heads and the likes. Still, overall, my kind of thing^^ I usually appreciate comparing first chapters with final ones, often the refinement is so nice to watch.
Gonna keep following the series, the chapters are quick to read and this is a very casual story. I like how some pieces are slowly being laid out so the series can be built (a bit of their background, slow development in the connection, new chars and the new club, comments about the root of the insomnia, and so on). Imo the author isn't in a rush to discuss the topic deeply, the insomnia comes as a background for the rest, and is also discussed in bits. Often slice of life series are like that: light stories with some occasional somewhat subtle "punches in the face". For example, I could even feel their pain when they thought they'd lose their sleeping space XD Indeed, a routine of lack of sleep is something so harsh and overwhelming... I'd get desperate as well. Tho... I guess that for an introdutory volume, a stronger hook was missing there...
So yeah! Very pleased with the first series we got in the club

Also wanna mention that today another round starts. I'll be posting the new thread (#02) in a few mins.
Feel free to continue to use this one to discuss Insomniacs After School, tho! And also leave feedback about the system as a whole~ o/

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Not much to say about this volume. Shiromaru is likeable enough and it's good to see Nakami getting more and more passionate about astronomy. The romantic moments were sweet, although a part of me couldn't help but be dumbfounded by the fact that attraction to someone can make someone rational behave so irrationally. I was also expecting them to be caught, but it didn't happen, maybe it's too soon.

Was surprised that Magari's friends didn't react when she said she was in a new club with Nakami though. I expected the blonde one especially to say something about the rumors or to diss him. With the reveal that she is studious who seems him as a rival, her attitude towards him makes more sense.

Read a bit more. Until Chapter 20 which ends with that death flag! :nrr

Lambu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Can I still join this? I cannot nominate anything tho, not very good at finding stuff :sweatdrop

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
We have started with out second round reading a different manga (Here!) - But feel free to leave your comments here if you also want to read Insomniacs after school as well😊

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
We have started with out second round reading a different manga (Here!) - But feel free to leave your comments here if you also want to read Insomniacs after school as well😊
Thanks, if I die early on MG I will join for the November pick for sure :zomg

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Does this mean you're joining the October reading nevertheless? o:
Hmm if it is a romance I might leave it for later, mainly because Im reading Fly Me to the Moon right now, but will definitely come back to it later on. o/

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
What stage is this in rn? i'm lost.