Feedback - Mangahelpers just tried to install a virus on my computer | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Feedback Mangahelpers just tried to install a virus on my computer

Moogle Mango

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I got those messages, in my earlier posts, while using FireFox. :darn

krysalis

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes! jdw, that's exactly what came on mine, except the results were different every time. I tried looking into it, but it seems if I stay on mangahelpers for a long time it starts doing whatever it does. DX

Once all of my applications wouldn't work for a while... ;_; Luckily my antivirus program is rather good. =_= Actually, my antivirus program is still getting rid of the viruses... =/

And Silvers Rayleigh, I've heard from friends Macs work well against viruses and such. Lucky~ X]

Reactions: jdw

Nimloth

よろず屋 / Yorozuya
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hello everyone.

First I'd like to thank you all for continued reporting of these malware ads.

Secondly, I'd like to inform everyone that we have been in contact with our ad networks, and they are aware of, and dealing with the issue.

The problem lies in the fact that its very rarely the same ad that gets distributed from day to day, as these malicious people keep creating new ads with random domain redirects, making it very hard to block them consistently without determining the very source of where the ads come from.

This is not a problem specific to MangaHelpers, but a problem that has hit a number of other websites, including some very high traffic video streaming sites.

For now, what we ask is that you keep posting the redirects and new mal-ads if they show up, and we will do what we can on our end to limit their distribution and provide the removal details to our ad networks.

Juiceman

Reaction score
Country
United States
redirect: h__p://antivirusforwindows0.com/s1/?pid=pGTx3jDzNC0xJmlwPTk5LjI5LjEzMS4xNzYmdGltZT0xMjY2NgAMPQJM

I also get a lot of "Are you sure you want to navigate from this page?" when I try to close my browser if mh is on.

EliteBeatAgents

Reaction score
Country
United States
i'm to poor to buy antiviruses( i use anti malware byte) and i got that bogus anti virus crap and my god that was such a annoying week for to kill off the damn virus.

jaimehlers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I registered specifically so I could post about this.

I was reading the Ame Nochi Hare raws recently posted by Charkan, and on page 7 I got one of the redirect extort-ware hijack attempts. I've encountered similar things several times in my job (I work IT at a college), and so I knew how to deal with it without getting infected. From what I saw, I can definitely say that it is an ad redirect - the page was halfway loaded and then suddenly went to one of the extort-ware websites. I did not get a chance to see the ad.

Also, on a similar note, it gets extremely frustrating to have those commercial ads with sound in them; I was unable to turn the sound off and finally had to shut off my computer's sound so I wouldn't have to listen to the sound of people coughing and sniffling X times a minute. The reason I bring it up is that those ads have a volume control, but it doesn't work. The sound will not lower at all and it will not shut off either, short of shutting off the computer's sound.

I was frustrated enough by this that I said, on another forum (and only partly in jest) that it kind of made me reluctant to make a return visit. I know this isn't specifically related to browser hijack ads, but it is at least partially related so I thought I'd bring it up.

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I very nearly got the virus twice yesterday! I was :mad! I think jaimehlers is spot on! I'm defintely positive that it's an ad-redirect virus initiation attack or whatever you want to call it lol.

First virus attempt I experienced was when I logged onto MH and went to the index page. Second virus attempt was experienced when I clicked refresh on the MH homepage. Just to let the techs know..I experienced the exact same thing when I was on OneManga.com an hour ago!

Now maybe the techs could find out the core culprit and source of this virus from a simple use of deduction??? *ok maybe not simple but you know*

E.g. Since OM has the same virus problem I thought maybe it was possible if MH could get in contact with OM and see what advertisement and pop up's you both share or have in common relationships with??? :blink I mean it's a possiblity.

I'm glad that this doesn't happen 99% of the time when I log in, however the sooner we get this issue sorted the better it is for us all! We don't want to leave this virus and let it grow/evolve into something even more dangerous! :scry

Nimloth

よろず屋 / Yorozuya
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hey all,

Thank you for informing us about this again.

We can but apologize; these are malware sites targeting a multitude of networks, and due to the means they are using for setting up the ads it's a matter of cat and mouse to get them removed.

We are forwarding all your reports as soon as they come in, so please continue to list them if you see them.

Once again we apologise for any inconvenience or trouble this might be causing, and can but state that unfortunately, it is not something specific to our site but rather a broad array of ad networks in general that are all being subject to this.

Junaid_Sennin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys, I dunno if I'm getting the same problem as the rest of you, so I'll mention it just in case it hasn't yet been brought to your attention.

Whenever I load a new page, any page on mangahelpers, or even if I refresh the page I'm viewing, I get a notification from my security software with a link to a description of the threat.

Here's the link --> http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55468

As you can see, it says that one of the avatars on mangahelpers is a trojan.

Anyway, I'm not in any danger because of the security software, but it's a little annoying clicking away the notification everytime I'm on mangahelpers.

So that's all I had to say, you guys are great, and I hope you're all doing well.

Osso

Tech
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Italy
We got mixed results from different antivirus. Anyway, we updated that avatar :)
So you shouldn't have that issue anymore.

MoJokitty

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was reading online the latest chapter of Nononono when my Kaspersky Internet Security popped up saying that a Trojan just tried to infect my computer. Thankfully it was blocked by my security software but I then clicked to the next page and it happened again. I give up, your site is riddled with cooties!

But seriously please do something about this, I love your site and this is just like a slap in the face.

If it's helpful the following is a copy/paste of my security software report

5/21/2010 6:25:41 PM Infected Trojan program Trojan-Clicker.JS.Iframe.bb
Code:
http://rotator.adjuggler.com/servlet/ajrotator/873116/0/vj?z=pdn&dim=753179&pos=1&pv=103307287385125&nc=57901478
5/21/2010 6:25:40 PM Infected Trojan program Trojan-Clicker.JS.Iframe.bb
Code:
http://rotator.adjuggler.com/servlet/ajrotator/873116/0/vj?z=pdn&dim=753179&pos=1&pv=6290984120343697&nc=12715809
Edit: DO NOT CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINKS COOTIES WILL GET YOU!! (That's a warning, just in case we have some click happy people out there)

Last edited by a moderator:

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Thanks - looking into this^^;;