Second Round - Maomao vs. Rin Tohsaka | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Second Round Maomao vs. Rin Tohsaka

Who wins?

• Maomao

• Rin Tohsaka

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Maomao
Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
Rin Tohsaka
Fate/Stay Night

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Best luck @Copy Panda !

I will come later, as soon as I can, with a little more about my nominee. I don't have too much time to invest in campaigning, and not a lot more to say than what I already wrote about her previously, so I will be honest, most of my work will just be recycling older stuff. I will try to add as much as I can but will try to avoid to make it too complicated. Please, take the time to read the campaigns before voting. I hope I can manage to convince you !​

Please support Maomao <3

Last edited:

Copy Panda

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
China
Best luck @Copy Panda !

I will come later, as soon as I can, with a little more about my nominee. I don't have too much time to invest in campaigning, and not a lot more than what I already wrote about her previously, so I will be honest, most of my work will just be recycling older stuff. I will try to add as much as I can but will try to avoid to make it too complicated. Please, take the time to read the campaigns before voting. I hope I can manage to convince you !​

Please support Maomao <3

may us hunters do honourable battle erichi!

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Campaign

Introduction

There are plenty of gorgeous and sexy ladies in anime/manga world. I could have picked one of those and relied on their natural charms and advantageous appearance. But it is a waifu contest, I have chosen to pick Maomao, as I believe, there are more important traits, way beyond spiciness and appearance that make a waifu, great. Though, in no way, Maomao is bland or unattractive, far from it. On the contrary, she is a fleshed-out character who has plenty of qualities (and some interesting flaws, too, that just make her even more charming) and an incredible personality that makes her an outstanding waifu candidate, from my perspective. Please, take the time to read the campaigns. I will do my best to show you how much she deserves more love and, to try to convince you that she is such a great female character and an awesome waifu !

Overall presentation

1- Personality

Maomao is the main character of Kusuriya no Hitorigoto. She is an apothecary who works in the imperial palace. The story is interesting and uncommon as it follows an incredibly smart female lead character. But what makes the manga even more unique and amazing are both the main cast, Maomao, and Jinshi, and how their characters are explored And also the narration, and how elements about them and about people revolving around them are gradually revealed, and how the authors are building and maintaining the mystery. Maomao is truly a gem, and her character is remarkably well written. I will avoid, at least for now, to mention her background to not spoil some information, but if she makes it next round, I will probably tell more about it. She, first, was abducted and was brought to work as a maid in the palace, but ended up later, getting promoted thanks to a consort’s grace and Jinshi, because she saved the consort’s baby.​

Maomao is a very entertaining and unique character with a rich backstory. She is smart, calm, resilient, audacious, crazy somehow, honest to a fault. She has, too, that sassy, and cynical side, but she is incredibly caring and she has strong values and a great sense of ethics. She is the kind who can say casually any truth and offend people around, but she is wise enough to not compromise people’s life and will refrain sometimes from revealing things to avoid terrible consequences to the people involved regardless how she feels about them. She is also knowledgeable not only about medicine, herbs, and poison but also about society. She cares about women’s condition, like women’s literacy and she has that emotional intelligence, and can read situations, and people. And she is witty, extremely funny , sometimes hilarious. She has no self-interest, nor that she cares about status and wealth, hierarchy and affluence, she even looks down on all that, She is humble and knows her place, and is only interested in medicine and poisons. Her relation with Jinshi is unique, funny and beautiful, their chemistry make them one of the pairing I am rooting for the most.​

Example of her funny side

Example of her humility

Her sincerity being aknowledged

2- "The world is full of all kinds of flowers"

Maomao and appearances: Maomao is not the kind to get fooled by appearances and beauty, nor does she care about all the superficial life in the palace, which she compares to the pleasure district. She doesn’t even care about Jinshi, while all the ladies love him for his beauty. She appears unimpressed and just shows contempt to him at first, which amuses him, and contributed to making him gradually fall for her. Maomao had been through a harsh life, we learn from 1st chapter some elements, and others are revealed over time, and she has been raised by courtesans, so she knows so well about appearances, deception and superficiality, and she learned, too that beauty can sometimes be a tool for manipulation and ambition but it can be too a lethal weapon that can harm the wielder. She even hides her beauty, wearing make-up to add freckles to her face to appear somehow "average" or "less attractive". Even though she is not trying to look at her best, nor she cares about her health. She is, by no means unattractive, on the contrary, she is full of charms and graces, and for proof, there is that beautiful scene of her dancing ( see pic below).​
Currently, I'm not reading the light novel, but I came across some pics that indicate that Jinshi is, at some point going to be disfigured, it's interesting to see how she keeps taking care of him, she shows to him nothing as such as disgust or pity, in those pics we can see only softness, and respect. And I appreciate to see a romance between two characters that is not based on physical aspect, as said earlier she never cared about how he looks or what he has, on the contrary, she despised it, she only cares about who he is, and that I that's the kind of waifu who can give sincere love to her husbando.​

The palace is just a kind high end pleasure district, isnt-it ?

Maomao hiding her beauty, to look as plain as possible, to protect herself.

She doesnt care of potential promotions, nor she cares about looking beautful as she knows how much, appearances can end up harming.
Sweet scene from the LN mentioned above, with Jinshi being injuried and Maomao taking care of him.

That's all for the overview, thanks for reading !
I hope you could see how lovable and unique she is. There's a little more in store about her, I will save it for later if she makes it. I would be so happy if you could give her a chance, she really deserves it ! Please support her ! <3

Please, vote Maomao ! ♥

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
That newspaper article was funny. And knowing Maomao, it will not be difficult for 'E' to show how smart she is. Maomao is a very entertaining young lady.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
how did maomao make it to the 2nd round?!

Chocolatejr9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it weird that I voted for Maomao in the slight chance she and Pyra can have a rematch after last year?

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
😭 My heart says Rin but...

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
Rin campaign

Hey there! T'was a busy week but we've settled in somewhat nicely. Making this post on my phone was not only hard but it cleared the field like twice 😭

Rin-chan already had a spicy introduction last round, no need to repeat myself here.

No need for me to disrespect or disregard Maomao. Both Rin-chan and Mao2 are respected and accomplished experts in their field. People around them rely upon them and similarly, they take it on themselves to protect those near and dear to them. As far as character goes, both are gucci.

Imo though, this contest is not about character but waifuness specifically. Rin-chan is a tsun girl whose heart will melt for the right guy. She can genuinely give herself to the right person. Mao2 on the other hand is cold on the outside, yes, but her lived experiences make it much more difficult to connect with those close to her. Mao is duty-bound to care whereas Rin-chans attachment is more natural and playful once it actually occurs.

I'll add some more pictures later, taxi here noo

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Mao2 on the other hand is cold on the outside, yes, but her lived experiences make it much more difficult to connect with those close to her. Mao is duty-bound to care whereas Rin-chans attachment is more natural and playful once it actually occurs.

That's not it, panda-kun... she connects very well with people., but there are various reasons that make her being sometimes distant with Jinshi, ( experience, being wary, clever, and aware of many things are some of them) but one of the main reason, is that this guy doesnt belong to the same social class, he is a royal and she is aware of it. Tbh, I don't think being a tsundere makes someone a better waifu material not saying it's wrong either.

And, she's not cold, on contrary she's very funny, but that's the content of one of the next parts campaigns if she makes it, she's playful, funny and teasing.... but she is down to earth, shes not the dreaming kind of person, she's realistic which might contribute to make her disillusioned and she is too honest too. And no, you re wrong about her waifuness too. I'm not saying this because she's my nominee, but because of her feats in the manga, she's more than a qualified waifu. :nod

Mao-chan saving and taking the injury instead of that guy ! :zomg

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

😭 My heart says Rin but...

try to listen to your brain then

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
never a good thing when politics becomes a driving factor with yer waifu smh

Status
Not open for further replies.