Shounen - MAR: Märchen Awakens Romance by Anzai Nobuyuki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen MAR: Märchen Awakens Romance by Anzai Nobuyuki

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
MÄR: Märchen Awakens Romance is a popular manga series created by Nobuyuki Anzai - the creator of Flame of Recca. A television anime of the series, titled MÄR - MÄR Heaven - (MÄR - メルヘヴン -, Meru - Hevun -?), also exists and in Japan is broadcast on TXN stations. (Note: In Japan, the manga is simple titled MÄR, while the anime is titled MÄR - MÄR Heaven -.) MÄR is unique simply because of the fairy tale motif running through the series itself. MÄR is also an acronym for Märchen, itself meaning fairy tale. VIZ Media has also acquired the rights to the MÄR anime and is part of Toonami Jetstream, an online service from Cartoon Network.

As of 2006 The manga's first part has ended with 161 chapters. There is a sequel called MAR Omega, coming in September.

The series is published in Japan by Shogakukan, in North America in English by VIZ Media, and in Singapore in English and Simplified Chinese by Chuang Yi. MÄR has been announced as a part of Cartoon Network's new online broadband service called Toonami Jetstream. It has aired on Jetstream since July 14, 2006.

The story follows Ginta Toramizu, a hyperactive and easily excitable boy who has always dreamed of a fantasy world, and has been transported to one, the world of MÄR-Heaven, by an extremely powerful Dimension ÄRM known as "Gate Keeper Clown." It was used in desperation by the world of MÄR-Heaven, which is in a period of oppression and instability caused by the mysteriously resurface of the Chess Piece Army. The "Gate Keeper Clown" goes as far as to pluck the surprised and shocked Ginta out of his classroom during a fairly typical day of school, where, being a dreamer, he is constantly heckled by his classmates for his lack of physical prowess.

He soon discovered that he is there to lead a war against the Chess Pieces Army, which lost another war 6 years ago to another person from Ginta's dimension. Here he meets new friends and enemies. The main plot of MÄR is concerned with Ginta's personal growth as the series develops, as both a responsible young man and an able fighter.

Upon appearing in MÄR-Heaven, his physical weakness is replaced with physical strength as well as incredible stamina and endurance. It is speculated that these new abilities are due to gravitational differences between the world of MÄR-Heaven and Earth, although this is a rather awkward explanation, as gravity cannot increase strength or stamina, nor can it correct vision. Ginta, who on Earth was a typical video game geek and underachieving student with a drunkard chain-smoker for a mother, finds his wildest dreams come true by discovering a world beyond his own where he can be someone else.

Ginta quickly meets the mysterious witch Dorothy (Wizard of Oz), who introduces him to the powerful magical items called "ÄRMs"(pronounced air-um). MÄR-Heaven is filled with these items: magical artifacts that usually take the form of some sort of weapon. These are varied in strength and appearance and divided into many kinds:

Simple ÄRMs are little more than simple tools when active.
Holy ÄRMs possess the power to heal and undo curses.
Weapon ÄRMs are used as weapons in battle.
Darkness ÄRMs are powerful artifacts used atypically to curse people at usually a cost to the user.
Dimension ÄRMs teleport to different places.
Guardian ÄRMs summon a monster or a 'guardian' of some sort to protect the owner of the ARM.
Nature ÄRMs are used for certain elemental attacks, or enhancing a body's physical performance.
Ghost ÄRMs attach to the user's body and allow them to use their body as a living weapon.
Unique ÄRMs are any ARMs that can't be put into any of the other classes, such as Babbo.
Dorothy plans to obtain the mysterious ÄRM Babbo, and brings Ginta along. Babbo is extremely special for an ÄRM: he can be shaped into different forms with the use of imagination and possesses a will of his own. However, he has lost all this memory, and considering himself a "gentleman". After saving Dorothy from Babbo's guardian, Ginta becomes the new owner of Babbo, though at first they do not get along.

He continues on a journey of discovery, reveling in this new world, but also finds that he misses the real world due to his crush on Koyuki (a classmate on Earth). Koyuki is noted as the only one on Earth besides his mother who does not heckle him for dreaming about other worlds. Eventually Ginta forms resolves to find a way to reach home while enjoying as much of MÄR-Heaven as he can along the way. However, it is not long before Ginta finds out that the world of MÄR-Heaven is not as peaceful as it seems, as he is attacked by thieves wishing to steal Babbo (who is wanted by the Chess Pieces Army). He soon meets Alviss, the person who brought him to MÄR-Heaven using the Gate Keeper Clown, and acknowledges the upcoming war with the Chess Piece Army. The army aims to destroy the peace of MÄR-Heaven.

Many more secrets and characters come to light, especially that of the epic MÄR-Heaven War six years ago, in which a mysterious man from Ginta's world defeated the champion knight of the Chess Piece Army, Phantom (the former owner of Babbo), ending the first MÄR-Heaven War. However, he gave his life in the process. As time passes, the story reveals that Phantom has been resurrected and wants to start another reign of terror over the world, with the help of the evil queen of Lastava.

I personally think that this manga's great, I haven't finished but so far it's been appealing.
It started airing the anime just last month, and a new sequel to the manga will soon be out in September, next month! (Fingers Crossed)...

I'm enjoying it so far and I strongly suggest ya'll try it out.. :p

Information thanks to Wikipedia. :)

Where to get it?
www.gotlurk.net

deadgamer

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Re: MÄR: Märchen Awakens Romance

yep its sweet, ive read whats been scanlated and its about what? 130 chapters? its great.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy

It's a good manga.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Mär isnt too bad, but I personally though Flame of Recca was much better.

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Yea, it's pretty good, haven't read Flame of Recca though, another manga to look into.. xD

rennokun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

looks like mar alomst finish couple more volume Mar

flame of recca its a good manga got it all :p

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Flame of Recca is long and is an enjoyable reading, but there are better manga.

sare

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

what is the lastest chapter out

Believe

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

The lastest chapter is chapter 137...You can find out from the Manga Editors site...Project Kurai Ryu.

http://mycurry.net/kojika/

Cheers.

eQuek

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Nightmare said:
The lastest chapter is chapter 137...You can find out from the Manga Editors site...Project Kurai Ryu.

http://mycurry.net/kojika/

Cheers.
thx for the link. I've been waiting ages for chapters 112+ :p
This manga has the same feel as Flame of Recca, with ärms instead of madougos. But with this surreal world MÄR is more like an rpg game :)

karasu

Reaction score
Country
Australia

and i love how they manage to put fairy tales characters in some interesting ways...
it felt like kingdom hearts too.. :p
like how alan beat the crap out of alibaba...
and dorothy crushed evil pinocchio..
etc etc...

i want to buy their accessory/arms :(
they looked really cool!

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Yea true, the arms kick-ass.
Anyway, anyone know where the RAW's can be found?

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

iDookie said:
Yea true, the arms kick-ass.
Anyway, anyone know where the RAW's can be found?
Did you checked #lurk?

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Lol, thanks :p
I only went on lurk for the Edited Mangas, totally forgot about [UR]Dan, gonna go check now.

ssjohn

Reaction score
Country
United States

Mar Omega is out in Japan now ! ^_^ anyone got RAWS? >.< Ritual only has Major uploaded so far from ss 39 >.<

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Dammit, I still need chapters 138+ before I can start on Omega...

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

iDookie said:
Dammit, I still need chapters 138+ before I can start on Omega...
Me too.

kenshinsan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

Anyone know where else to get MAR chapters except from the irc channel, from chapter 1 up

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

I don't know any good source.

Anyone knows where can I get raws 138+? or even can get it from share or winny or something? Oo