Marvel Comics Discussion Thread! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Marvel Comics Discussion Thread!

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm starting to discover that a lot of people here like to read American Comics too ( especially X-Men ) so if you'd like to talk about these comics and possibly where to get them as well, shoot. I'm a long time reader of American Comics myself, both Marvel and DC, so I'll help however I can with any questions you guys may have :)

EDIT: Now that we have an American Comics subforum, this is now the place where you just want to talk about American Comics in general and not the latest releases. If you want to do that, please do that in the Latest Releases Mega Convo. This way we can avoid spoiling anybody with what happened in the latest issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: American Comics Thread!

some good shit can be found in American Comics. I can wait to see how Civil War plays out and for the record, batman>superman

asmo

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Check out 300 by Frank Miller (you know Sin City *g*).

It's the story of the Battle of Thermopoly, where 300 Spartan Greeks held out against a 100k (exactly, 100 000) Persian army for three whole days before getting annihilated. It's amazing how Miller takes the historical facts and makes an incredible story out of it. Ancient history combined with Miller's own "graphic novel noir" style - you mustn't miss this :)
The art is amazing as well,of course :D

I'm sure you'll find it via Emule or on some torrent site, and you can order it, of course.

Ulquiorra

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

I used to collect quite a lot, mainly Marvel comics but you can read some online at

groups.msn.com/UltimateSpidermanOnlineComic.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

I was learning about greece in a course and i learned, again, about the battle of the 300 Spartans. I really want to read the comic before i see the movie. It shoudl make a good movie now that i think about the story

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

asmo said:
Check out 300 by Frank Miller (you know Sin City *g*).

It's the story of the Battle of Thermopoly, where 300 Spartan Greeks held out against a 100k (exactly, 100 000) Persian army for three whole days before getting annihilated. It's amazing how Miller takes the historical facts and makes an incredible story out of it. Ancient history combined with Miller's own "graphic novel noir" style - you mustn't miss this :)
The art is amazing as well,of course :D

I'm sure you'll find it via Emule or on some torrent site, and you can order it, of course.
I've seen that on the shelves at my local bookstore - it does look good. I'll have to consider it. BIG book though O_O

Ulquiorra said:
I used to collect quite a lot, mainly Marvel comics but you can read some online at

groups.msn.com/UltimateSpidermanOnlineComic.
Marvel used to actually host that comic at their website, but they probably don't anymore - still, I think Ultimate Spidey was the first comic I ever read online. It didn't really take for me though, but I may have just been too much into the "original" Spidey at that time. Because the original Spidey comics are kinda sucky right now, though, I might check into Ultimate Spidey.

But as far as Bendis books go, I still enjoy Daredevil more (or used to).

But overall I think comics in the 70's, 80's and early 90's are still a lot better than today's comics. I just bought a stash of old Uncanny X-Men comics the other day at my store, covering Inferno, The Mutant Massacre, and so on ^^ Good stuff.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

old uncanny was so good.

I know the comics at the time sucked but I loved joe Mad's work on the line. His artwork is probably one of the reasons i became a comic fan

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Joe Mad did have a very flashy drawing style. Unfortunately I also think Joe Mad's popularity was one of the reasons Marvel became all style, no substance for most of the late nineties... but that wasn't his fault.

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Gold Knight said:
I'm starting to discover that a lot of people here like to read American Comics too ( especially X-Men ) so if you'd like to talk about these comics and possibly where to get them as well, shoot.  I'm a long time reader of American Comics myself, both Marvel and DC, so I'll help however I can with any questions you guys may have :)
I need help finding the rest of the Fathom/Witch Blade/Tomb Raider cross-over (Michael Turner, Top Cow). I have vol.1, but shortly after i came back to my home town and no one here sells it. It came out a few years ago. I also heard rumours that Michael Turner was unable to finish the story arc due to health reasons. Aaaaaargh! I just want to know how the story arc finishes.

Thanks GK! :smile-big

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada

But overall I think comics in the 70's, 80's and early 90's are still a lot better than today's comics. I just bought a stash of old Uncanny X-Men comics the other day at my store, covering Inferno, The Mutant Massacre, and so on ^^ Good stuff.
I...I...you're not fair, Ken-chan. T_________T

The older Uncanny ones are much more better than the recent ones.

Still, I buy only Uncanny X Men nowadays due to my fave charas being there. I'd rather the Ultimate story, but it gets tiring some time or the other. XD

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Ok, I'm giving this link: www.kaskus.us

the mother of all dumploads of comics (from DC to Marvel to Image)
(including rare, complete series) (in rapidshare)

Just register your name to access the links for rapidshare and the RSS feeds :D

But it's our very little secret! :D

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

@okyatoks: can't seem to open the link. do i have to type in a password into the web address? btw do you know where i can find Fathom comics? by Michael Turner, Top Cow

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

'Fraid I can't really help you there, Brede, I never even heard there was a crossover between ALL these three femme fatales, even though I'm a Witchblade fan. Sorry =/

Edit: Looks like you're looking for Fathom #12-14 ( a series I never read, so figures I didn't know about it ) by what I can determine looking up Wikipedia, unless you already have that in the volume you got. According to Wikipedia, though, it doesn't seem like another crossover has occured so if there's been a second team-up, it must be new.

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Gold Knight said:
'Fraid I can't really help you there, Brede, I never even heard there was a crossover between ALL these three femme fatales, even though I'm a Witchblade fan. Sorry =/

Edit: Looks like you're looking for Fathom #12-14 ( a series I never read, so figures I didn't know about it )
Yeap yeap, I'm looking for #12-14 starring those 3. Sorry for the confusion when I described them as a cross-over :p Seems like Fathom is now with Aspen (Michael Turner's own company) and a 2nd team has taken over from Top Cow. My friend pointed me to their web site. Now all that remains is to hunt down the actual comics :tem

@ GK: Are you still collecting Witch Blade? I stopped after 30...the story-line started sounding a bit like X-Files. Who has taken over the art work now? If you liked Witch Blade, I think you'll like Fathom as well. Give it a try ;)

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

@Brede: Yep... you have to register on Kaskus!!! I think you'll find everything you want at Kaskus!!! Even the rarest are in there!!! :thumbs

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Why can't I open anything (Ultimate X Men) on that MSN site anymore? :crying

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway

I only get a domain salessite at the link, Okya...

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Anyone else read Ultimate X Men #60?

Any of you weirded out by the fact that Logan punched Ororo to bring her back? That was just...un-chivalry. XD[br]Posted on: May 31, 2006, 08:19:33 AM_________________________________________________Oh wait. He doesn't know CPR. XD

Good reason enough, I suppose. XD

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway

"There aint a problem you can't punch your way out of" xD

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada

^ Cracked me up. XD

There's jsut something you gotta love about Wolvie's lines.

Try Uncanny too, HErm! The older ones.