My first color art! chapter 314 cover. UPDATED, NO LONGER (completely) CRAPPY | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

My first color art! chapter 314 cover. UPDATED, NO LONGER (completely) CRAPPY

dai saigo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

angry

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Re: My first color art! chapter 314 cover

Well hair could use some more work... and in general everything is blurred alot. There is almost no high contrast in the color, if you want to make a truly great color (like DD, Batanga and all the other great colorists on this board) try to find the right spots to use for high contrast and some where you can use the blur tool more.

I haven't masterd that either >_< i hate practice =P

Good luck in the rest of your color.

Greets, Angry

dai saigo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: My first color art! chapter 314 cover

I personally like the blurred look, but hey. Contrast is an issue.

I update my picture. Is this one any better?

Thanx for the suggestions!

lee-nus

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
i think its pretty good, but you use shades a little inconsistently. with the direction from which the light comes in mind, try to use shades only where they really should be. same thing with highlights, of course. you can still work a bit on it, so i would advice you the be a little bit "bolder" with your use of shades and highlights. make them a bit more extreme!

dai saigo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: My first color art! chapter 314 cover. UPDATED, NO LONGER (completely) CRAPP

lee-nus said:
i think its pretty good, but you use shades a little inconsistently. with the direction from which the light comes in mind, try to use shades only where they really should be. same thing with highlights, of course. you can still work a bit on it, so i would advice you the be a little bit "bolder" with your use of shades and highlights. make them a bit more extreme!
Taken to heart.

Thanks for the advice!

Would you mind pointing where my inconsistancies are? I'm a total newb as you can tell. My major at newbiacademy was shadow placement.

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well basicly the color of Kakashi's blue shirt is too dark, which makes it hard to shadow, because the differnce in color (the contrast) is little. So its hard to tell the differnce between shadow and just normal colored parts.

The shadow color you picked for the green flack jacket Kakashi is wearing isn't dark enough, so once again the difference in contrast isn't high enough.

However... maybe you should just keep these things in mind for your next coloring project, as its often easier trying out different colors/techniques on a new drawing, then it is replacing them on an exsisting one. Once you color something and 'get into it', its often hard to judge by yourself, because you've been staring so goddamn long at it ^^ (sorry for swearing)

Greets, Angry

dai saigo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: My first color art! chapter 314 cover. UPDATED, NO LONGER (completely) CRAPP

angry said:
Well basicly the color of Kakashi's blue shirt is too dark, which makes it hard to shadow, because the differnce in color (the contrast) is little. So its hard to tell the differnce between shadow and just normal colored parts.

The shadow color you picked for the green flack jacket Kakashi is wearing isn't dark enough, so once again the difference in contrast isn't high enough.

However... maybe you should just keep these things in mind for your next coloring project, as its often easier trying out different colors/techniques on a new drawing, then it is replacing them on an exsisting one. Once you color something and 'get into it', its often hard to judge by yourself, because you've been staring so goddamn long at it ^^ (sorry for swearing)

Greets, Angry
315 will be around in the next few days (well the hq clean anyway). I'll do one for it.

Thanx again!

overjojojojo

Reaction score
well its pretty good for a self declared "n00b" :D
try and make your shading darker and highlights more vibrant i guess is all i have to say to help you improve :)

dai saigo

Reaction score
Country
United States

overjojojojo said:
well its pretty good for a self declared "n00b" :D
Why thankyou :amuse