my first manga cleaning job! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

my first manga cleaning job!

Ikasu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had no idea where to post this after 5 minutes of pondering and reading the general information on each section but I guess this is the only suitable place. I started reading the naruto manga during the sasuke vs naruto arc (was watching the anime series only at that time) and got hooked..I've always loved working with photoshop and for once decided to clean a page for the heck of it...so here it is ^^..but before we gtet to the links...I'd like to say that I'm a amateur...this is the first time I've ever done anything like this.I also used the low quality naruto 300 volume. If you have any questions or comments reguarding my work please state so..even if you think I'm horrible go ahead and post it...I'm trying to learn how to do this since I'm enjoying it very much...

Also I used highslight & shadows, desaturate, levels, dodge tool, burn tool, paintbrush, and blur tool. If you have any pages or information on techniques I can use please state so..as I said I'm trying to learn and I know there has to be a faster way then what I've done. I want to get into this so I can start cleaning low quality manga titles in speedy time for all your viewing pleasure ^_^. so yea...if you have any web pages with techiques....tips..anything that can help me out I'd really appreciate it....I also didn't give them borders/boxed them up to make the page nice and clean...tried to stay as close as possible to the original so you guys could compare and help me out here....and without further ado here's the pics..

First the original that I had to work with
http://img145.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc261&image=65290_mamoiya_002.jpg

and heres my cleaned copy..
http://img133.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc35&image=65295_300done.jpg

please leave questions and comments!...I want to get better!...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
This belongs in the Naruto Edited Mangas forum ;) I'll move it there.

You could also have posted it in Naruto Art Forum as well.

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Arg!...stupid me..sorry about that..I was thinking since it isn't a release that it shouldn't be in this section..guess I'm overthinking too much...Thx for the help though ^_^.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Well, it actually belongs in the Art Forum more because it's just a page, but what the heck.

By the way you did a good job with that page, considering the quality ^_^

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
=D...thank you very much ^^. Do you happen to clean by any chance?...Cause I'm trying to find some tuts and stuff so I can learn some different techinques...and there has to be a better way to do it then the way I have been..cause mine takes a WHILE..=(

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is about as good as it can get from a camera raw. Nobody uses camera raws from Edited Mangas though, so cleaning them is quite pointless and painful. Try cleaning a real raw, I think you will be able to make it look superb.

ashida_kim

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
This is good. Just a little work on the boxes.

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
=D...thx guys ^_^...I have to admit I'm really liking the community here...lol..

vlado

Reaction score
Greate job :) Ossu!+ :D , keep it up , how much did it take to clean it?

xallisto

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could try re-drawing the whole page, its the only way of getting super-HQ from a camera raw, but that takes more time than most are willing to spare.

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
It took me about 3 hours to clean that page...although I've heard there are other techniques that will make it go faster that I need to learn...I'm a complete newbie at this so I guess it's just going to take time till I learn all this..going to start learning corel painter as well and get a tablet...lately I've been obsessed with art..lol..

marvacw

Reaction score
Country
United States
good job for the first time! and from a cam raw too... yeah if you work off HQ raws your work may turn out pretty nice :) good luck and have fun!

Zenith

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
tablets are awesome for cleaning manga...especially redrawing hard parts. ;)

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea..I need to get a tablet..my brother has one and he makes the most amazing stuff...(He has a scholarship for Art Center in pasadena, California)....Buying art utensils and starting to draw like crazy too ^_^...I think I should invest ina tablet also...