Chapter Nanatsu no Taizai Chapter 338 Discussion

FKS

Mangahelper
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
France
Any chance for early spoilers or there's no more holidays?
No early spoilers for a while (until February 24th).

EDIT: To be accurate, we are going back to Monday schedule for spoilers, so we aren't getting early spoilers. The next holiday is the current Emperor's birthday, which falls on February 23rd. And since it falls on a Sunday, there's a rule stating that the holiday will be observed on the next Monday as well. There will be early spoilers before then (around February 22nd).

Last edited:

shipleyy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Idk why I don’t get emails for the spoilers anymore even when I subscribe :noworry

This chapter was unexpectedly better than I thought
This whole thing with Cath explains a bit as to why he latched onto Arthur always wanted to protect him. I wonder if Nishi was in on it too. He was the one who told him “ as long as that cat is with you, you won’t die.”

I have to hand it to Nakaba. This is very, very refreshing and much better than I thought it would be.
Merlin, ahhhh Merlin. You just can’t ever quit.
Bye Hawk Mama, I’ll miss you. Hawk doesn’t have anymore family left:biblethump

I like how Arthur’s made it look like Toon World just by speaking and not even realizing what he was doing. If Nakaba plays this correctly, this Chaos arc could be very, very good. I’m actually excited for the new chapters for the first time in a good while.

Jdmp53

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
What i'm really glad about Cath as an enemy is that the sins can go all out ..Hopefully Lady of Lake will Restore their strength back like they did with DK...since from her words it's clear that she doesn't want that cat to live either..
This time there is no mental battle like with DK-Mel/Dk-Zel and no saving thing like with 4C mael...
Hope next chapter it's just explanations of on what cath or his motives are with some fight and not another plot twist and make us wonder more..

PeterC

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Isn't it a bit weird that Meliodas was the one to save Arthur?
He moved from the edge of the cliff all the way to where Arthur was standing, which means Lady of the Lake's alert was not too late. There was enough time for Merlin to teleport Arthur to another location, but she didn't. Was she really unable to initiate the spell, or there is another deeper truth about her we are yet to know about?
It's not that deep. Actually, the answer is pretty simple:
Meliodas was the one to save him because he's... Meliodas.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The Lady knew about Cath and how he was gonna atack Arthur, so at least for me it's clear that he's some criature created by DK & SD in case of Chaos coming back... Or something like that

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
It's not that deep. Actually, the answer is pretty simple:
Meliodas was the one to save him because he's... Meliodas.
But Cath has also absorbed a fragment of chaos. Merlin could prevent that from happening by merely teleporting Arthur or even Cath, imprison Cath inside a perfect cube, etc. However, I don't think Merlin is really on the side of Chaos. Have you noticed that despite lots of actions and dialogues, there is almost zero interaction between Merlin and Chaos Princess? She doesn't seem to be satisfied with the current events. Did she spend 3000 years searching for Chaos just to stand idly by and do nothing after its resurrection? Her lifeless eyes are still the same. Something is not right about her and her goal. She has most probably not reached it yet, and I believe she intentionally neglected what Lady of the Lake said about Cath.

And do you remember how Cath telepathically told Merlin about Arthur's situation at Camelot. Expecting too much is pointless, but sticking to the most obvious assumptions and ignore other legit possibilities is not acceptable. NnT can get really deep at some points, and I don't have any reason to stay pessimist just because DK arc was a huge mess. We have all seen how amazing this manga can get, and the new arc has been on a completely different level compared to DK's shit show.

PeterC

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
But Cath has also absorbed a fragment of chaos. Merlin could prevent that from happening by merely teleporting Arthur or even Cath, imprison Cath inside a perfect cube, etc. However, I don't think Merlin is really on the side of Chaos. Have you noticed that despite lots of actions and dialogues, there is almost zero interaction between Merlin and Chaos Princess? She doesn't seem to be satisfied with the current events. Did she spend 3000 years searching for Chaos just to stand idly by and do nothing after its resurrection? Her lifeless eyes are still the same. Something is not right about her and her goal. She has most probably not reached it yet, and I believe she intentionally neglected what Lady of the Lake said about Cath.
Wow, I like it. I'm here for it.
Merlin's goal really seems to be still up get reached, so...

Though she really looked surprised and worried about Arthur and this whole new situation... And I dont think she would let any bad thing happen to her Arthur on purpose...

Zorra_akuma

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what have we learned children? NEVER TRUST ANYONE OR ANYTHING!!!
thanks nakaba for validating my trust issues through this arc it makes me feel a lot better 😂

LYEL

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I was just watching FGO and remembering that no matter the show or book or story, Merlin is always the most hated character LOL.

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Everytime I think the manga is ending, Nakaba finds someway to extend it and pile on more questions in addition to the ones he already refuses to answer. Wasn’t Cath just some random thing that appeared in the Druid arc? Why does he know anything about chaos? In hindsight, why did no one question the random creepy cat more? And for that matter, what’s the plot reason chaos for choosing Arthur? Aside from the fact that this is based on Arthurian Legend, there has to be some actual reason for Chaos choosing him. Merlin even took notice and that’s likely going to go completely unexplained as well. Cath also seemed to be aware of Arthur. How are people getting this information?

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Everytime I think the manga is ending, Nakaba finds someway to extend it and pile on more questions in addition to the ones he already refuses to answer. Wasn’t Cath just some random thing that appeared in the Druid arc? Why does he know anything about chaos? In hindsight, why did no one question the random creepy cat more? And for that matter, what’s the plot reason chaos for choosing Arthur? Aside from the fact that this is based on Arthurian Legend, there has to be some actual reason for Chaos choosing him. Merlin even took notice and that’s likely going to go completely unexplained as well. Cath also seemed to be aware of Arthur. How are people getting this information?
In the manga, when Arthur appeared at a castle gate in Liones alongside Merlin and a fake army, it was clearly mentioned that he had already pulled Excalibur out of the stone, so he was chosen by the sword before he met Cath. He wasn't the only person chosen by the sword as well. Lots of human being were worthy of wielding it throughout the history. He is not a unique case, so the question about WHY ARTHUR WAS CHOSEN is not that important to the plot. It's different from Ban or Escanor who were the only known cases in the history of human being to be chosen by a godly power or something. Plot reason for WHY A HUMAN WAS CHOSEN BY CHAOS is explained to a satisfactory level by the revelations, but you are asking why Arthur specifically, and the answer is because THE ERA OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT ENDED WHEN ARTHUR WAS THE WIELDER, I'm sure King Carfen iirc and all the others could have been perfect vessels had SD or DK died at their time.

By the way, since there is seemingly a specific feature shared by many humans (humans are closest entities to chaos after all) and Arthur was already chosen, Cath who is known by Lady Chaos could easily detect Arthur as well. WHY JENNA AND JANERI SENT ARTHUR AND GOWTHER TO THAT SPECIFIC CAVE IS THE REAL QUESTION THOUGH. It put Arthur in a weird situation, and while Gowther was there to read minds, he didn't do it to Cath or at least didn't talk about it. This part will most probably be answered as we know more about Cath in the coming chapters, no need to get mad.

But seriously man, did you believe CATH WAS JUST A RANDOM CREATURE without any future implications to the plot? Unless more about goddess clan is revealed, what Jenna and Zaneri did at the druid altar remains a mystery. Being random is a claim that needs to be proved independently, and you should be able to show us evidence that those goddess sisters were sending people randomly to different caves and assigned them some RANDOM tasks WHICH IS NOT THE CASE AT LEAST WHEN IT COMES TO MELIODAS AND ELIZABETH. They knew perfectly what they were doing from the very start, and knew what is inside each cave for sure.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wonder if this adds up to death flags on merlin... i don't know where this is going or what the point of any of this is but i get the impression the plot has opened up the possibility that merlin might die.

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the manga, when Arthur appeared at a castle gate in Liones alongside Merlin and a fake army, it was clearly mentioned that he had already pulled Excalibur out of the stone, so he was chosen by the sword before he met Cath. He wasn't the only person chosen by the sword as well. Lots of human being were worthy of wielding it throughout the history. He is not a unique case, so the question about WHY ARTHUR WAS CHOSEN is not that important to the plot. It's different from Ban or Escanor who were the only known cases in the history of human being to be chosen by a godly power or something. Plot reason for WHY A HUMAN WAS CHOSEN BY CHAOS is explained to a satisfactory level by the revelations, but you are asking why Arthur specifically, and the answer is because THE ERA OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT ENDED WHEN ARTHUR WAS THE WIELDER, I'm sure King Carfen iirc and all the others could have been perfect vessels had SD or DK died at their time.

By the way, since there is seemingly a specific feature shared by many humans (humans are closest entities to chaos after all) and Arthur was already chosen, Cath who is known by Lady Chaos could easily detect Arthur as well. WHY JENNA AND JANERI SENT ARTHUR AND GOWTHER TO THAT SPECIFIC CAVE IS THE REAL QUESTION THOUGH. It put Arthur in a weird situation, and while Gowther was there to read minds, he didn't do it to Cath or at least didn't talk about it. This part will most probably be answered as we know more about Cath in the coming chapters, no need to get mad.

But seriously man, did you believe CATH WAS JUST A RANDOM CREATURE without any future implications to the plot? Unless more about goddess clan is revealed, what Jenna and Zaneri did at the druid altar remains a mystery. Being random is a claim that needs to be proved independently, and you should be able to show us evidence that those goddess sisters were sending people randomly to different caves and assigned them some RANDOM tasks WHICH IS NOT THE CASE AT LEAST WHEN IT COMES TO MELIODAS AND ELIZABETH. They knew perfectly what they were doing from the very start, and knew what is inside each cave for sure.
I know Excalibur chose Arthur but it looks like this is the only hero to word Excalibur to ever be chosen by chaos and that’s what I need reasoning for. Excalibur isn’t what confuses me. Chaos is what confuses me.
And I actually did believe Cath was just random creature with little plot relevance.

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I know Excalibur chose Arthur but it looks like this is the only hero to word Excalibur to ever be chosen by chaos and that’s what I need reasoning for. Excalibur isn’t what confuses me. Chaos is what confuses me.
And I actually did believe Cath was just random creature with little plot relevance.
1. If Lady of the Lake gave the sword to humans in the first place, so each of the chosen wielders were actually Chosen by Chaos as well. The lady is also called Princess of Chaos afterall. The problem is that as long as Both DK and SD were alive and their combined power was restricting Chaos, the sword couldn't be used to awaken it and so they all died before any chance of turning into the King of Chaos as Arthur has recently become.

2. Then you were understimating Nakaba way too much. Not saying you are wrong, he sure had made some horrible mistakes, but I can't judge him because I know nothing about his mindset, personality, or personal life. I just hope his masterpiece will at least get close to its former glory at some point.

Mael the strongest

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
From the title of the next chapter, it seems that the fragment of chaos is going to do sone heavy damage to sins and Britannia and the fact that the sins ain't at full power because of limit break and arthur doesn't have the right control over chaos, makes me wonder who's going to save them....... Maybe SD WILL FINALLY APPEAR!!!!!!!

BurlapJack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Q382: (Boar Hat-san from Kagawa Prefecture) Is Nanashi a Japanese person?
A: We don't know exactly. But he's a human from an eastern country drifting in Britannia.
Lol nakaba, he's so very much obviously Japanese it hurts

Eternita

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To the people saying this development with Chaos is random, it's absolutely not. Nakaba set the story up to make the Demon King and Supreme Deity the be all, end all antagonists so to even suggest at any previous point that something like Chaos even existed would have sucked a ton of the hype away from those two before we even met them. In that sense you could say he wrote himself into a corner, but in another sense there were definitely enough hints from the start at least in retrospect that something else was coming from when we first saw Cath's fury and of course the fact that Arthur had no magic power and had been taken out of the picture before the final fight. Plus Merlin's odd obsession with him. That at least told me that there could be something after the DK and SD saga, whether it was another arc or a sequel with Arthur. I don't think the buildup to this was good at all. but I do think it was planned and not something tacked on to extend the plot.
You are right, it was planned. Or he knew chaos was a thing before this moment. People just want to be salty.

Mighty Escanor

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Got to love the Q/A which has no substantial effect on the manga. I'm sure many of us needed to know the origin's of Nanashi's ethnicity...
But what difference could it make if it was revealed?