Naruto 352 page 02 (rating) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Naruto 352 page 02 (rating)

Helhoe

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Like I said I wanted to try cleaning a page with some grey parts in it.
So here it is. :D It has also a whole bunch of scratches and holes and sometimes it was quite difficult to seperate the simple dust from actual parts of the image. >_>
I've also redrawn some parts because they were overlayed by some japanes text.

edit:

No suggestions? Anyway, I just want to know how you like the grey parts.
Is the pattern ok? Too dark maybe?

And about all the details in the wall, are they ok? Or are they too specked with dust?
(Especially in the middle panel)

Hope I'll get some answers. :)

~hel

Last edited:

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, this is by far your best clean so far. The whites are perfect, even when opened in Ps. The same goes for your blacks. And your grays were also done very well.

Now, a few nit picky things.

First your borders. They are done perfectly, however it's the size of them that is getting to me. They look too big for the panels. Now, the premise of re-doing the borders is to replace the original broken, or just plain bad looking, borders. Usually you want to try and match the size of the borders as close as you can. For manga this means looking through an entire chapter and trying to see what the size of the borders are. This is also where personal judgment comes in. You have to make the decision of what size border to use. Generally, Kishi tends to use 2px borders more often than not and you'll wanna watch for this. Also one thing to note, you never, ever, EVER, want to mix borders. I.E. you don't want to use 2 px on one page and 3 on another, even if the original ones look to be different sizes between pages.

Secondly, your lines. Now most of the lines look fairly clean. However, some of them have quite a bit of dust around them. I would personally clean up these lines, and re-stroke accordingly. For example, the zipper line on karins shirt in the second panel. Or suigetsus left forearm in that same panel. Your white lines also need to be re-stroked.

Thirdly, your grays. You re-did these very well I just have a few qualms about them. First, your lines in your grays. They are extremely thinned out and turning jagged. This is usually due to not stroking them before you quick mask them. It seems like a pain, but it is something that has to be done. Now, onto the grays themselves. I don't know why but naruto seems to the only manga (that I know of) that looks best with a flat gray instead of a pattern, or a noised gray, or at least a very small amount of noise in them. For reference I'd recommend looking at one of shannaro's releases. Even JapFlap uses only an extremely small amount of noise in their grays.

Lastly, the bubbles. This is something not that many cleaners re-do, but it's still something I recommend at least enhancing. Now, if you look at the outlines for the bubbles, you will see they have the same dust problems that some of the other lines have. This can completely be alleviated with re-doing the bubbles like it is recommended in the cleaners compendium. However, some people believe that it's removing original art if you completely re-do the bubbles. Still, if anything I would recommend at least enhancing the lines with stroking to make them clean and crisp. I don't understand why a cleaner would take the time to make an HQ page and then have it dragged down by the nasty looking bubbles.

As for a rating, I would rate this page LHQ/ HQ. Mainly because of the grays. The amount of noise you used in them doesn't look good for Naruto, it would probably look great for other mangas though. Everything else I talked about are just small things that would only serve to make your page more HQ than it already is.

Helhoe

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thanks alot for all the tips. :)

I'm not going to revise this page, because when I'd try to, I know exactly what'll come out.
It'll only get worse and worse. xD

So I'll use it on the next page (16-17 Naruto 352). :)

~Hel

amar_kun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
yeah, i agree with vato loco.. from my personal point of view as a reader, the thick size of the border did bother me! its kinda make my eyes a lil bit uneasy since its quite thick compared to the normal one.. however, everything else was done superbly! you deserve my applause :D