need some help choosing a tablet...(no wacom) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

need some help choosing a tablet...(no wacom)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tune

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Emery

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Not all Wacoms are over your budget. I have a wacom Graphire 6x8 and it works amazingly. It's only around 200 U.S. dollars I think.

I'm sure everyone else can vouch for me, Wacom is the way to go.

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
thanks for the comment :)
i'm just trying to limit my spending and maximizing the best componants i can get...living in asia is not nice to getting wacom bargins...
though its true that i'll have to pick graphire if the ones i've stated are not as good...

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
tune said:
Aiptek's HyperPen 12000U
As for windows ... this one worked fine on one of my PCs, but it caused serious trouble on the other. The driver tried to access an intern adress twice and WinXP usually gives me a blue screen after this. Also you have to use a third party driver to get the pen pressure work in PS CS (it works in PS7 and below, though).

Also I wouldn't recommend a A4 tablet, I feel uncomfortable with such a big tablet and that's the main reason why I'm not using it anymore (worked fine in Gimp under Linux). I'm using two A5 tablets now, one on each PC, don't even have a mouse anymore. Both from Lifetec (also Aiptek), but serial no usb and both working perfectly for hobby use.

But if you can afford so much money^^ then I also recommend a Wacom. Buy a Wacom Graphire4 Classic XL, that's A5 format and below $200. The next better one would be a Wacom Intuos3 A6 (A5 is way more expensive) - if you look a little bit then you should find one for $230, but as for me A6 is to small in my opinion and Intuos A5 is usually $300 and above.
*all prices taken from German market, not sure about the US, though[br]Posted on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:07 PM_________________________________________________//edit ... I found a German shop were students and pupils can buy Wacom tablets cheaper then usual. Look around a bit, maybe you find something similiar - many companys (e.g. HP Laptops) have special prices for educational use in cooperation with a shop or school/university.

tune

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
thanks for the review :D

actually, i live in asia pacific -> singapore
(thought i'd use the us currency so it'll be easier to refer...:)

there seems to be no shortage of tablets from taiwan here, but wacom tablets are a hefty $$
(guess there goes my new year's red packet for 2 years...and i'm trying to get the tablet before the +2% gst gets to singapore :P *june-july i think,..* )

the Intuos3 A6 is sg$399 (that's mean, 1 $1 difference only), while i can fork out max 350 :P
*up to bargins now~*
trying to get as high end as i can afford coz i'm considering entering the gaming development and design course after i finished my optometry course (if i can pass...)

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
tune said:
the Intuos3 A6 is sg$399 (that's mean, 1 $1 difference only), while i can fork out max 350 :P
*up to bargins now~*
ouch >.< .. what about buying it from another country? Even shipping should be less expensive then this price >.>

Have you looked for the Graphire? It's not worse then the Intuos series just a little bit less professional, both are high quality tablets. Better Graphire A5 then Intuos A6 IMHO, but maybe someone with more Wacom experience can give a second opinion^^

Status
Not open for further replies.