Science - New Hydrogel Can Repair and Regenerate Human Tissue | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Science New Hydrogel Can Repair and Regenerate Human Tissue

Roanapur

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Hydrogel-Can-Repair-and-Regenerate-Human-Tissue-60373.shtml

A new biomaterial, called hydrogel, can be injected into wounds where it starts repairing damaged tissue and regenerating it, opening the way for revolutionary treatments for injured soldiers. The gel also has surprising antibacterial properties which help speed up the healing process.

Hydrogels are made up of a network of polymer
chains that do not dissolve in water, but can absorb large quantities of it, until water makes up over 99% of their mass. This water content makes them very similar to biological tissue and can be used to repair and heal various wounds, especially when human cells are added to their composition.

Joel Schneider, University of Delaware associate professor of chemistry and biochemistry, together with Darrin Pochan, associate professor of materials science, invented the hydrogel that could be used in a variety of medical applications.

They hope that their product could one day be used to deliver cells into wounds, where they could start regenerating them and could even grow new bones and organs where the originals have been damaged by diseases.

The hydrogel is based on peptides, short molecules created by amino acids liked in a defined order and are the building blocks of proteins. This specific peptide, MAX8, a development of the original, MAX1 peptide can self-assemble in a particular shape in response to a stimulus, like light exposure and can be injected with living cells, before it is applied on the wound.

Once applied, it rapidly rigidifies and helps tissue regeneration while preventing bacterial infections. "They're like rebar when you're building something with concrete," Schneider said. "They give the cement something to hang onto."

"Although we have currently only demonstrated this capacity of our gels using simple models, we envision that when injected into the body, the cells encapsulated in the gel can go about their business in restructuring the tissue," Schneider explained.
This is awesome news for if/when it gets released for the general public.....

But this just sounds like it's going to be quite the costly procedure. It's going to suck for people that live in countries with poor health care systems. *cough*US*cough*

I foresee many being denied this treatment by their insurance companies in the future.

theshizzle

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Orkney Islands
oh wow, that would be a great money maker!!

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The issue with such a wonderful find such as hydrogel are always the cost involved in medical procedure or the commercial sector. It manufacturing process does sound expensive and I could foresee what you are also foreseeing.

So another option for hydrogel could be is to reserve it for more severe injuries that need the special treatment that hydrogel offers. It would be a waste to use it for minor cuts and scratches.

Last edited:

itachi-

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Awesome, I think I'll try growing up an extra eye :D

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i think this is part of the stem cell field. this research will save the earth :ossu

LotusBlade

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wow this sounds like something I invisioned for the future, not so early. Technology and Science advances fast~!

deepumaru

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Peru
reminds me of some Tsunade/Kabuto jutsu.