newbie photoshop-er needs criticism

pokopori

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey!

I've just spent the past three hours working on this! I started photoshop today, learned the basics and followed some tutorials and this is how it turned out. My fonts are still needing some work but I'd like some constructive criticism! Keyword constructive! Please don't flame! I AM a noob afterall, but if you flame, I'll cry then laugh in your face!

RAW:

After:

Thanks!
Poko

ps: since I don't know Japanese, I just took the liberty of er, adding my own dialogue in there...

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
A good result from your first 3 hours of the Editing world ^^

Well.. I'm not really the man to go to for details, although the one thing that's really visible is that, you should rotate the page to make it straight. Look at the bottom lines of the lower panels. If you draw a line across, you'll notice it's not really straight :)

Last edited:

_ATMA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
nice job its a piece of work for a first timer btw what is that series?

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The series is Suzuka, a sports manga, ATMA. Nice clean btw, poko!!!

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
well, nice clean for a first work,

The thing that i noticed:
There is still pretty much dirt in the whites.
The rotation is off.
after rotating you should just like with the sfx you edited redraw the faded parts to make it look more consistent. :)

at the "BAM" sfx you left traces of the actual japanese sfx on the shoe -- shouldn't happen ;)

you missed to place another sfx into the door in the middle frame. further, at this and at the "rattle" sfx, if you look closer you'll notice that it doesn't integrate very well with the pattern, it looks a bit repetitive/cut off there. You might want to use a bit of a larger clone tool on a new layer and cut the excess away so that it fits better into the door.

Then: Redraw the frames of the panels, don't c&p from another part ;)
looks cleaner.

Furthermore:
resize the pic to either 1100, 1150 or 1200px height... that's pretty much the standard for Edited Mangas.
then, try to save files as png if they're not colorpics (though I prefer png with different settings then too)
Under File>>>Save for Web you can find several settings you can use.
standard for Edited Mangas should be:
- PNG 8-Bit
- No alpha
- Diffuse 88%
- Adaptive color palette
- No Matte
- 32 colors (if patterns are involved, or more if gradients are involved to make the colors look smooth)

PNG is a lossless format, so it doesn't create those artifacts. and by removing excessive colors, you can possibly save filesize.

I dunno if I missed something, but this should be pretty much it.
I hope it helps you improving and doesn't look too much 'over the top' what i listed here ^^;

pokopori

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
lol thanks for the help! i did redraw the frames lol. I need to work on my redraw skills :D

_ATMA

Reaction score
Country
United States
oh so it was from suzaku ? lol i didnt even realize i watched the anime a long time ago but i totaly forgot about it XD

Obxist

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
okay lets see... (sorry for bumping)

first of all always try get the pre cleaning done ! just like everyone said ... your page is not upright enough... rotate it ...

redraw the frames on the left and give it a white space because there should be a white space... also dont forget to clean the left part as they r left unclean and unredraw...

the RAW is already on HQ... with a little leveling it will be done and little cleaning here and there it should be done less than 30 minutes...

and yes the redraw a bit messy but nice try for your first one ^^...

okay overall you will only need at max 2 hours to bring this pages into MQ..so clearly you just need more practice... hope to see your scan again soon ^^