NEWBIE: Please Critique My Cleaning/Typesetting | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

NEWBIE: Please Critique My Cleaning/Typesetting

Rosella

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hey everyone! So I had just started cleaning and typesetting TODAY, for the first time in my life :). I was wondering if there are any tips you could give, so I can be better? Thanks!

BEFORE:

AFTER (the text I put was random and is only for trying out typesetting. It's not the real translation/content):

ANY TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :zomg

Last edited:

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Can't access the images.

Rosella

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Ahh, sorry about that. I hope the images are shown clearly now.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Did some quick basic cleaning on it. Just rough levelling and cut-paste redraw

Your image should be resized to make it less awkward to read-Typically 1300 pixel height. This image is also in RGB mode, and the file size is larger than it needs to be. There's a guide to saving files on the insidescanlation article. Your text is also jagged--Set the anti-alias option to smooth/crisp/strong.

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Here's my quick clean of this page. With rather lazy redraws ^^

The version presented by Obsidian has a better quality redraw - seems like he cared enough to do it with stamp tool. Mine are selection + content-aware fill. With stamp used only on (above, actually) the tower rampart.

I guess you can see your mistakes quite clearly when you compare your version to one of ours, Rosella.

Did you actually use smudge on those sky patterns? That's how it looks, at least.
Do not ever use smudge on any patterned surfaces. Smudge works only on smooth areas. It's usually just for color pages or webtoons (color or b&w).

Your tower mistake stands out a lot - everybody would see it. (Some stuff can be missed be an average reader, but here it stands out too much. IMO)
Also the thing in the right top corner of the same panel - not sure what that is exactly (possibly a character's hair is the shot is drawn from behind him, but idk), but you partially removed it. Bad idea.
Generally try to leave everything you can. We're supposed to provide translated versions of mangas, not make our own corrections to them. But... even if you did want to remove it, then remove it entirely, not just partially, like what you did here.

Also, the girl's (?) hair from the top of the page. It's supposed to be white. There was no gray pattern there. The gray-ish area was just dirt. And in the process of adding in more "gray" you removed part of the original art there. So, a double mistake here.

And the page itself if quite underleveled. There's a lot of leftover dirt on it.

~~
As for the typeset - as Obsidian mentioned you need to set anti-aliasing to your text layers. Myself, I use "Smooth" or "Strong" (mostly the former).

You could also improve on text placement - try to imagine a full bubble that's not cut off by border lines. Put the text in the center of that full bubble. If if then goes beyond the lines then move it inside (so that there's at least 1-2px of empty space between it and the border lines).
And don't look at where the original text is placed within the bubbles - a lot of times it's also placed incorrectly :P

Also, as a general rule - try avoiding adding vertical text. Especially in the bubbles.
In some Edited Mangas you might even see people changing vertical text into horizontal one at 90degree angle so that it fits in the bubble (or whatever place it is) and is easier to read than vertical would be.

Last edited:

Rosella

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Ah,I see. Thank you very much!

NibbPower

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, you can try visiting tutorial links if you're still unsure on how to do a better job on cleaning/typesetting. I usually use this website : How to Edit Manga in Photoshop
I hope it's not against the rules to post these links though.

The tools you should mainly be using when cleaning scans are : Dodge, Burn, Brush (White or Black), Clone Stamp, any of the tools for Healing + Patch, and Pen tool. You can use Move and zoom to adjust where you want to place your things.
For Redrawing, if you use a tablet, then a brush should be fine for you. But if you're using a mouse, and considering you're still new, I suggest using a Pen tool for it.