Shounen - Nisekoi by Naoshi Komi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Nisekoi by Naoshi Komi

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

Nisekoi
Author: Komi Naoshi
Genre: Action, Comedy, Romance
Serialization: Weekly Shonen JUMP
Mangaupdates

Ichijou Raku is an honor student with outstanding grades and an admirable conduct. He has a female childhood friend named Kirisaki Chitoge who has slightly better grades than him, or so he says. They haven't been getting along since the day of Christmas after they gave each other gifts, and they also have opposite taste of things.

Their families are currently on a war because of business rivalry, the boy's family are Yakuzas while the girl's family are gangsters. The leaders of both groups would like to get along, because if the war will not be stopped, there will surely be many casualties, and the problem is that their underlings wouldn't listen to them, so they decided on something that will make them cooperate, they want Ichijou and Kirisaki to become lovers so that their families will come to an understanding with each other.

But the problem doesn't end there, both families already know that the two of them don't get along with each other, so to make sure they are really lovey-dovey with each other, the followers of each party followed them on their date, from watching movies, to singing in the karaoke bar, shopping and in the amusement park.

Will the two of them become official lovers and make their families get along? Or will their families continue to fight and create many troubles along with it?

Last edited:

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Re: [NEW] Nisekoi by KOMI Naoshi

Oh wow, this is one hell of a convoluted rom-com. I wonder how Komi's going to pull it off?? if I had to compare it with Kagami, the only other rom-com series in the magazine, Kagami's first chapter wins. As for now, I'll just wait and see. But so far, Kagami in my eyes, has the edge.

Pirulito

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

The summary is wrong, raDar. That summary is about the oneshot, the series is a little different.

Anyway, chapter 1 is okay. Nothing spectacular, nothing really bad; just normal.

raDar

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

Yeah, I noticed that too since I just copy-pasted from MU. Anyways, I spoiler-tagged it since there's no available synopsis yet.

As for the series, I really liked how Komi split the original female protag from the one-shot into two (the one he made the promise with and the one he'll have to pretend with). Which I think helped make this series have more potential to be longer and interesting. After reading chapter 1, it's somewhat clear that it will go more into the Romance side rather than action school-life so can we assume that this will be Kagami's potential rival in the magazine?

For now, I think this series can be very fun and cute so let's hope for its (Komi's) survival.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

I really liked the first chapter...more than the oneshot actually. I laughed quite a bit plus it looks like it'll be a classic cute kind of series from Naoshi. I hope this does well.

predsfan

Reaction score
Country
United States

I concur, the first chapter was funny. Really glad Naoshi's back, too. I love the way he draws peoples faces and the story seems like it could be quite interesting. I especially like Ichijou and his Yakuza "underlings" interaction. Both female leads are also interesting in their own ways, though it appears Onodera is going to be the "straight man."

I like how the Yakuza are made to look "cute," like the guy who got his ear shot off :p.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Yeah I liked the first chapter more than the one-shot. The addition of the childhood love interest makes things a lot more interesting. I was a bit worried that Komi had changed his artwork for the worse based on the magazine cover, but the actual chapter proved that it's still as good as ever, if only just a bit different. I'm a fan of Kagami though, and I really hope that both series don't compete to much. I hope they can both survive.

Rei Ayanami

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I liked how the focus was more on the wackyness of the families of Raku & Chitoge then the classmates in the oneshot.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I really liked the first chapter...more than the oneshot actually. I laughed quite a bit plus it looks like it'll be a classic cute kind of series from Naoshi. I hope this does well.
I feel the same, chapter one is a definite improvement. Adding Onodero was a great move, the tension between the three is going to make for a lot of fun, especially when he and Kagami inevitably develop feelings for each other.

Over all, I am impressed. The art was an improvement over his previous work, including the one shot. His characters have become more express, the posture and body language a little more fluidly drawn. Funny chapter too, especially when Kagami beat Ichijou. The letter, when she found the locket, was hilarious too. Especially the pic of her giving him the finger. After waiting so long for a follow up to Double Arts, Nisekoi definitely met my expectations.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

Nice chapter indeed. I like how he also change the fact that Chitoge is now a transfer student. The fact that the others student think they go well together will make the fake love story more plausible than in the one shot.
And I love the stupid yakusa, they make some very funny side characters. I suppose we will see the playboy from the Kirisake gang soon too.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

The yakuza were definitely funny, especially when they summoned a limo for "bocchan". I like that they look more like Yakuza than in the one shot. More scars, more tattoos, more bad mustaches. I'm also looking forward to seeing the Kirisake clan, they were funny in the one shot and expect I will like them in the serialization too.

I can't get over how well Komi set the series up. Making Kagami the obstacle, rather than destined one, should make for a much more interesting series. Even better that Onodera is a background character for now. With such strong leads he can take his time building her into a more interesting character.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

My favorite moment is when Ichijou realizes what the nostalgiac scent was: gunpowder :XD

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

Yeah that make the suspense about which of the 2 is the key girl last more. That part was also well done

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

It was a bit boring for a first chapter. I'll read till chapter 5 to decide if i'll follow this series or not.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Yeah that make the suspense about which of the 2 is the key girl last more. That part was also well done
I have a feeling he will end up with Onodera in the end. She is his destined girl, after all. He and Kagami will have a brief dalliance, ultimately reject each other, but learn to be friends while bringing peace to their families. That assumes Komi does not have any tricks up his sleeve or desire to buck romcon tropes. Since everything he has ever written at least attempts to ignore tropes it may be a stretch to believe that Nisekoi will be nothing more than genre fodder. As Double Arts progressed it was clear how uncomfortable he was with action cliches, I doubt he will be any more comfortable with slice of life cliches.

Negative Syndicate

I have a feeling like Raku is kind of similar with Keitarou (from Love Hina).

Overall, it is very good chapter.

Talakene

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

The alteration from the one shot with two female leads should make things more interesting and suspenseful.

As for myself, I would very much like to see Ichijou with Kirisaki in the end, though I have somewhat resigned myself to the possibility that he will probably be with Onodera when all is said and done, given that matter of destiny and the promise with her. At least this way, I will be pleasantly surprised if Ichijou does indeed end up with Kirisaki, and at least expecting the other outcome.

If Ichijou does choose Kirisaki, I wonder how he would resolve the matter of the promise with Onodera. That would be interesting to see, and perhaps more challenging to write than the more 'traditional' route of choosing Onodera.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

It will be very interesting to see Onodera reaction to the new couple next chapter. After all, she is the only one who know that they hate each other in reality and that Ichijou loves another girl.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

It will be especially interesting when Kagami and Ichijou begin to like each other, or develop feelings. What happens if the destined one has a rival?

Onodera had very little screen time in chapter 1, I'm not picking sides until she gets some character development. Kagami is an archetypical tsundere. What type is Onodera? Maybe she is not more than the sweet, quiet, hard working classmate type.

Talakene

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

Although I have already picked sides, given my admitted weakness for the tsundere type, I am interested in gaining more insight into Onodera's character and background. I wonder what her family is like.

Speaking of tsundere, would Kirisaki be type A or B? I think she is a type B tsundere, since as far as we have seen, she is only particularly tsuntsun towards Ichijou.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I agree, she's type B. She did help him find the pendant, and while unpleasant, she spent quite a bit of time around him. She'll ultimately get nicer as the series progresses, I think.

I lean towards Kagami right now, but more because she was in the one shot and has had enough panel time to have a personality. As of right now Onodera has no personality. I generally like characters like Kagami too; the loud, brash girl with attitude is always my favorite in romcon and harem. Satsuki was my favorite girl in Ichigo 100%