One Piece 414 - The "Rouga" Pun | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

One Piece 414 - The "Rouga" Pun

shinwei

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ehh... I'm so damn stuck on this pun. In the end I decided NOT to translate it, but I still have to write translation notes. The "rouga" pun is pretty much the primary literary device of the entire chapter, so there's no single page I can refer you to. It would be nice if someone could read through the entire chapter (raw), and think about the "rouga" pun for a second.

I know what it means, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to explain this in my notes. Explanation help required ^_^

This is the reason why my 414 translation has been sitting in Rush HQ for a long time, I'll make it public once this is cleared up.

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if the joke can really be translated considering it's being inserted into a basic piece of grammar (お前の蹴りなど効かんと言っと狼牙! and そんなわけねぇだ狼牙!among others).

Perhaps some sort of wolf-like howling sound inserted into their speech when that line shows up? Other than that it's difficult to insert "wolf fang" into a sentence without people getting confused (like when the script came out and poor Ocean among others had to explain to people that it was just a simple joke).

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
hmm I'm stumped on this as well :s... I'll dream about it and get back to you tomorrow night (putting it in the back of the mind to get thought out hehe)