On Break One Piece Chapter 1061 Discussion

Fallou

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I haven’t been this excited for a OP arc in a long while now! Vegapunk, giant robots, Bonney, Sword, what more do we need ?

I think this chapter had awesome panels! This feels like a proper adventure and all, I love it

Aki1991

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Front reddit:

- Sword is a secret marine branch opposed to akainu (probably led by Aokiji and Vegapunk)

- Luffy befriends them (he is already friendly with tashigi and smoker since punk hazard)

- Luffy befriends Bonney

- Luffy finds out about Blackbeard and coby

- Luffy makes a new alliance with sword and bonney to invade pirate island and take down blackbeard

this would make perfect sense imo
—> Luffy would probably want to help helmeppo to save coby and he probably wants to take down blackbeard like he did kaido anyways

—> Bonney probably also wants to take down BB since she, as we know, has a personal grudge against him for killing ace and eliminating her crew

—> BB probably has the final road poneglyph

So an alliance with the SH, Sword (including Aokiji) and Bonney is probably going to war against Blackbeard

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
My bet is still that the actual Vegapunk is Albert Einstein. as that is the biggest scientist in popular culture.
I have always thought about Leonardo da Vinci when thinking about Vegapunk. Da Vinci was an universal genious in all kinds of fields so he always appeared seems to me as the best RL comparison for Vegapunk.

Vanshrimp

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
bonney is looking for revenge huh... sounds promising. Nice playground to keep fit for the straw hats i see them fighting armies of human and animal cyborgs, including some baboons from mihawk old home island.

Last edited:

Zmsp

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
This chapter had a couple of interesting details to speculate about.

First, I never really thought about it, but Beehive being the name of the Pirate Paradise, and seeing it bolded out in this chapter, makes me think of its origins.
Shouldn't a beehive have a queen bee? The island has a strong connection with the antagonistic side of the story, and it'd be interesting if its founder was a female pirate.

When it comes to Vegapunk:

Anyone else got that slight hunch that the comment about not being able to control one's primal instincts may end up relating to Sanji? His whole speech during Onigashima, conflicted over being a weapon vs staying true to himself, his genetically modified human backstory, the lunarian blood speculation (we just met the Seraphims), asking Zoro to kill him if he loses himself... It will probably climax during this arc/segment. I could see Sanji being turned into an enemy by Vegapunk, and having him hesitate to hurt the girls, or something along those lines.

This panel always struck me as interesting:

I'm really looking forward to this arc, and I still have this inkling that Vegapunk and Xebec will end up having some sort of connection.

JStackz26

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also anyone notice the Vegapunk headgear matches the Germa headset things they wear?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh God, does not feel right. Again a bullshit arc splitting the crew for any random reason... And mysteries unresolved it seems... and just to guess all story about Vegapunk who is genuinely a good person and does not "side" in one way or another but just wants what is best in the circumstances and blablabla.

Hopefully at least, Oda focuses on Vegapunk who has been important in the story, and will not introduce countless useless characters he cannot manage. Hell maybe the time we know about items eating devil fruits, which was introduced what? 20 years ago?
Technically they kind of get split every arc really lol. It just seems like they don't.

HereNThere

Hazard Duty Pay
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Was hoping the crew wouldn't be separated again, but I'll deal as long as they aren't kidnapped later on. The non Luffy crew not being able to take care of themselves was a bit disappointing though. They were really caught with their pants down and it feels like they should be somewhat beyond losses like that. The Sunny getting capsized that easily was just weird.

Couldn't even really enjoy Vegapunk's potential reveal.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Post-Wano Piece continues to deliver.

I doubt it's the real Vegapunk but I find it interesting how she decided to reveal her identity like that. Luffy is missing but Zoro and Sanji are there. Does she believe she can deal with the crew with her weapons/cyborgs?

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have always thought about Leonardo da Vinci when thinking about Vegapunk. Da Vinci was an universal genious in all kinds of fields so he always appeared seems to me as the best RL comparison for Vegapunk.
That's another good suggestion but Da Vinci is usually more associated with pre-industrial miracle engines, this Vegapunk is clearly more than just industrialized, and I was leaning towards Einstein particularly due to the association with ...bombs, if you recall the Franky (from America, btw) section of the Straw Hats seperation serial (chap 592), that was...Oda can do many things in his Manga but I think Oppenheimer would be too much, he is also much less famous. Einstein in general has a positive image but is a little controversial, also his hair looks like he just exploded...

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Just 15 pages of discussion this week? Weird, I thought more people would like the chapter honestly. It was great.

I remember the chapters before they set foot on Punk Hazard. That distress call from the island, the fire they could see from the outside. That arc had so much hype but ended up somewhat a disappointment. Hopefully this arc won't be the same.

Bonney, oh boy :gaw

McNuss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Interestingly enough, the Shark looks like a larger version of the Shark Submerge III, even sharing its number, 3, I somehow expect larger versions of all the vehicles Franky built, even if that makes no sense for the Mini Merry but lucky coincidence I guess?

Lastly Franky has to build a new Shogun. This Robot here is huuge and we also might need something huuge for Sanjuan Wolf from the Blackbeard Pirates.
Maybe all of the channels will dock together rather than just three of them? Also there's still just an inflatable pool in channel 6, I think a new invention is also incoming.

And lastly G...14!!

Oda could have stopped at G5, it being a disfunctional vanguard outpost and all that...
But no, it is at least 14!!

And we have:

G1 (Marineford): Momonga
G2: Comil (this one is near Lulusia, Moda and her parents worked her and might thus be alive, they were suspisciously absent. Ace constructing a milk supply line for the coffee loving Comil might actually lead to huge impact)
G5: VergoSmoker?
G14: Doll

Any other VAs that returned after the timeskip (Bastille Tsuru, Lons, Stainless, Yamakaji) or introduced (Maynard, Nezu Ketagari) have pretty much been deconfirmed to be Base Commanders, besides Tokikake and Gion, who might have special positions as Chaton and Momousagi.

Speaking of that, the introduction of Tensei as Kurouma pretty much means we are going to see the full circle as only four spots are missing: Rat, Goat, Snake and Dragon.

Some might be already known characters but there's going to be tons incoming for the Marines, I am excited!

Lastly we are going to see Sentomaru here I think, he is Vegapunk's bodyguard.

Federicoxxx

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
So happy for more info and possible reveal I said a few weeks ago it would be coming. I can see Bonney trying to kill Vega if anything for the Kuma situation. And I can see Vega being aged down to using her df powers too.
you nailed it!! indeed she is salty at Vega for what happened with Kuma...

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I imagine we'll get more clarification on Sanji's enhancements at Egghead by Vegapunk, especially since he used to work alongside Judge and finally provide explanation on why Sanji's eyebrow switched around.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's never been a statement IIRC. But if vegapunk actually is female (as in, there are no shenanigans regarding the current vegapunk) then earlier partial representations of him were more than intentionally misleading.
That's what I was thinking though I don't really have much evidence to say we were intentionally misled, more like in the absence of a statement on gender we automatically assumed he must be a man. Hence why I'm wondering if Oda just used us readers natural bias against us.

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Germa/Caesar are free. And Vegapunk show up. I guess now, it only down to recruiting of Queen. And we got the Mads back together.

That's what I was thinking though I don't really have much evidence to say we were intentionally misled, more like in the absence of a statement on gender we automatically assumed he must be a man. Hence why I'm wondering if Oda just used us readers natural bias against us.
I kinda like this. It is a nice surprise. And this had been a long time coming since the end of Enies Lobby.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Hmm, it was weird how Hawkins had more of a complete arc than X Drake in Wano (very much like Bege). Look like we will have way more of X Drake soon. And I am glad.

Australopithecus

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
No, actually there are many things that clearly indicate that it is a 'he.' the chapter where fujitora was talking to green bull, they used masculine pronouns on multiple panels in the official translation. Additionally, in the PH arc, there is a flashback of Caesar's in which Vegapunk was seen in a manly silhouette. Moreover, the female has two things that should make you wary. First, she has an antenna on the right side of her head. Check it out. I am not on my computer to show you this. Secondly, she has a number 02 on her chest which could indicate she is just one of his creation. Finally, one of the translators said that her original speech is that of an old man, so there is this as well.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I imagine Punk 02 is meant to be a speaker robot for Vegapunk to speak though. I suppose we'll still get to know him soon enough.

Australopithecus

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I just hope the real Vegapunk won't be ugly. I remember that Kureha, despite her old age, she was a pretty good sight. I hope Vegapunk turns out the same way. I wonder if his obsession with female robots is due to his perverted side. It would be hilarious to have another version. Of the Kame Sennin in One Piece. Oda sure loves those things. Also, oda draws some characters ugly because he doesn't like them as he himself once said somewhere. If he does the same to Vegapunk, I'd just assume he doesn't like him too.

CharlosTenryuubito

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Punk : cyborg that has their own self conscius.
Vega Force : mounted robot.