Chapter - One Piece Chapter 1120 Discussion | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Chapter One Piece Chapter 1120 Discussion

electricmastro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, Luffy deffinetly need to be more serious from now on. Others also need some "boost" because it's not like crew can be carried only by Luffy, Zoro, Sanji and now also Jimbe. Fortunatly fact that Vegapunk died is not THAT big failure because if at least one of Vegapunks survive then it's fine. Though Luffy planned to save all of them so he may feel really bad about not being able to do so.
And that's interesting, because I get the feeling part of the reason Oda usually doesn't have many people die in arcs is so that Luffy would be more willing to party at the end of the arc. Oda would prob rather have Luffy celebrating at a party than mourning at a funeral, the major exception being Ace of course.

But now Vegapunk has died even though Luffy promised he'd get him out of Egghead alive, so it will be interesting to see how Luffy processes this news along with the others.

Trip_LLL

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
And that's interesting, because I get the feeling part of the reason Oda usually doesn't have many people die in arcs is so that Luffy would be more willing to party at the end of the arc. Oda would prob rather have Luffy celebrating at a party than mourning at a funeral, the major exception being Ace of course.

But now Vegapunk has died even though Luffy promised he'd get him out of Egghead alive, so it will be interesting to see how Luffy processes this news along with the others.
That's a worthwhile observation about the deaths.
I'm still holding out hope that Kizaru tried to close Vegapunk's wound with his hot light. The deadman switch went off because Vegapunk is near death. Again a hope.

But ultimately, I don't think this is changing Luffy. Luffy became stronger post-timeskip to ensure that he could keep being Luffy.
A moment that sticks out to me as indicative of this is the time that Kaido attacked the strawhats, only for them to be saved by Shinobu.
That incident happened, and Luffy never reflected on it. Luffy's never changing. And now with the Nika fruit's personality, he will definitely never change

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, it makes sense then when Oda usually emphasizes on deaths in flashbacks, where Luffy isn't present. He might have even had Izou and Ashura die instead of Kinemon and Kiku because Luffy had gotten to know Kinemon and Kiku better. I don't really recall Luffy talking to Izou and Ashura, and so thus their deaths would weigh on him less enough to party.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States

Might be seen a stretch here but if Lillith survives then technically one of them lives aside from York even though Luffy didn't really do that much to "save" Lillith. I used to think Luffy would be able to keep his word but now I think he only keeps his word about kicking the final boss' ass in any given arc.

I'm still holding out hope that Kizaru tried to close Vegapunk's wound with his hot light. The deadman switch went off because Vegapunk is near death. Again a hope.

But ultimately, I don't think this is changing Luffy. Luffy became stronger post-timeskip to ensure that he could keep being Luffy.
A moment that sticks out to me as indicative of this is the time that Kaido attacked the strawhats, only for them to be saved by Shinobu.
That incident happened, and Luffy never reflected on it. Luffy's never changing. And now with the Nika fruit's personality, he will definitely never change
But I think there is a reason for this. Luffy says he will try to protect everyone but pretty early on, in chapter 166, He tells Vivi that she is naive in which case Vivi responds, "What's exactly wrong with wishing for no one to die!?" Luffy says "...People die." (sorry cannot post screen grab for some damn reason wtf) What I mean here is that as much as he wants to save everyone, he knows he cannot. Put that together with Nika's wonky personality, it is easy to see how Luffy may not think twice about people who had had to sacrifice themselves for him and his crew but in actuality, he already did. But there is no time to dwell on it. You can either dwell on it and see how you've failed or whatever or you can go fuckin party and look forward to the next thing in life.

To put this into perspective it is like if I died and my gf spends months just being depressed and sulking through life. I'd rather her move on sooner rather than later (but keep me in her memories) so she can be happy and not be depressed for a long time. Luffy is doing this with every party. He may not mourn but his parties to me are also memorials to the people who got hurt for him, dead or alive. Luffy knows that he tries his hardest and he knows, after Sabaody that his best is not close to enough. It is why he went to train so he can lessen the damage on who he wants to protect (like you say, to keep being Luffy) but again, if someone who isn't one of his sworn brothers (or crew members I dare add) dies, he doesn't have too much time to mourn. He only has time to look ahead. It is time to party and smile. It is time to raise a glass to all those who've gave so much for them.

That in itself is very "D" for all involved because while I think D. is an abbreviation, it also is a grin/smile as so many people have theorized. Maybe this is why there are so many Ds all over the place and even more popping up. Perhaps every and anyone who just wants to smile can be a D whether they are evil or not which is how Luffy just gave Sabo a D because now, it seems like anyone can be a D if they want. Ds just want to see the people within their circle smile. Hell, I wouldn't even put it past Oda to one day have Doflamingo come out and say yeah my name is actually Donquixote D. Oflamingo... I mean the dude literally manufactures smiles even though that makes people sad but it does make him and his people smile. Yep there's some plotholes in this way of thinking but we'll see a clearer picture soon enough. Oda's full explanation of D is so damn hyped, I'm sure it'd cover a ton of stuff but this may be one of them.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, if the Straw Hats are gonna feel weighed down by Vegapunk and the others' deaths after the fire has settled and have time to reflect, I can only imagine how Tama, Carrot, or Yamato would have felt if they had been here.

wilhelfizh

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Lilith is really weird, amongst other Satellites, Lilith shares the least trait of its characteristic. Yet it survives!

All other Satellites share strong characteristic to the plot and Lilith just like an underdog. It is really suspicious when Oda make a char profile so low with great possible story development. It feels like York, Kanjuro or Denjiro all over again.

For the records, Shaka helps to plan the escape, stood behind VP on broadcast.
Pythagoras has not so many to be observed, because an early dead, but it stood also on the broadcast. (i assume the 2 were trusted the most by VP)
Edison was busy with many technical things to support the escape, now its desync (maybe dead or unconscious)
Atlas fights and sacrifice itself, it died 2 times

Its either VP himself is not an evil person and more greedy, thats why Lilith become less evil and York goes beyond VP's control OR Oda is cooking something.

Last edited:

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I get the feeling part of the reason Oda usually doesn't have many people die in arcs is so that Luffy would be more willing to party at the end of the arc
Almost exactly what he said in a 2018 interview.
Kawatoki: Not many enemies or allies had died previously, which made it even more devastating.
Oda: I don’t want to draw people dying; I just want to draw more post-battle feasts. I mean, how are you supposed to have a good time after someone just died? Those feasts are my ideal image of friendship. In fact, I’d like to end the series with a massive feast.

SanaNeOlm

Reaction score
Country
Germany
It would fit considering Oda is following the 'girl power trend' of Hollywood/Disney. The last bunch of SH close allies/possible additions since the start of the Grand Fleet have been women: Pudding, Carrot, O-Tama, Toko, Yamato, and now Bonney and Lilith.
I don't know how you did that jump in conclusion but you do you.

OP is mainly focused on powerful male characters. The strongest female character was literally a mentally traumatized child. I don't think writing some good and powerful female characters with diverse and strong identities makes it Hollywood/Disney.

Ero-Sanji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Who else thinks Oda is into edging?
Nah, his editors are into money.

I wonder whether Oda will adress why some Ds are VERY open with their identity while others are the opposite. I get it, it's part of the retcon, but I wonder whether we'll get an in-universe explanation.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know how you did that jump in conclusion but you do you.

OP is mainly focused on powerful male characters. The strongest female character was literally a mentally traumatized child. I don't think writing some good and powerful female characters with diverse and strong identities makes it Hollywood/Disney.
He was biting at the "trend" bait. Or as anybody with a C- or above in the concept of media literacy will tell you, is just "things change over time". I look forward to the same people saying One Piece has 'gone woke' because Oda introduced a mom that didn't die.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Nah, his editors are into money.

I wonder whether Oda will adress why some Ds are VERY open with their identity while others are the opposite. I get it, it's part of the retcon, but I wonder whether we'll get an in-universe explanation.
I think he had made some retcons with the D name by Marineford, so it's strange we never see anyone in Luffy's life try to shut him up from constantly screaming his full name at every single person he comes across. It'd have been in character for Garp to give him a good wallop the first time he did it and Luffy just didn't understand or care to hide it so he just carried on doing exactly what he was doing. Knowing what he knows, Garp should've been terrified of anyone discovering Luffy was a Monkey D. That's two names he should *not* have wanted getting out in the world but nah guy just chucked him in the woods and offloaded him on Best Mom Dadan.

baditz

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Lilith is really weird, amongst other Satellites, Lilith shares the least treat of its characteristic. Yet it survives!

All other Satellites share strong characteristic to the plot and Lilith just like an underdog. It is really suspicious when Oda make a char profile so low with great possible story development. It feels like York, Kanjuro or Denjiro all over again.

For the records, Shaka helps to plan the escape, stood behind VP on broadcast.
Pythagoras has not so many to be observed, because an early dead, but it stood also on the broadcast. (i assume the 2 were trusted the most by VP)
Edison was busy with many technical things to support the escape, now its desync (maybe dead or unconscious)
Atlas fights and sacrifice itself, it died 2 times

Its either VP himself is not an evil person and more greedy, thats why Lilith become less evil and York goes beyond VP's control OR Oda is cooking something.
Atleast lilith stil doung something even before chaos marine comes,,
York befire only showing eat n shit, n then suddenly she being "key" of the plot.

I m sure this arc have the most die from good guy side so far, 5 named characters, Oda really want try to add the dangerous situation.

wilhelfizh

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Atleast lilith stil doung something even before chaos marine comes,,
York befire only showing eat n shit, n then suddenly she being "key" of the plot.

I m sure this arc have the most die from good guy side so far, 5 named characters, Oda really want try to add the dangerous situation.
It is good, Oda likes to play betrayal to twist the plot and add complexity.
I am not complaining Lilith involvement, i am suspicious to Liliths trait regarding its evilness while other show/share/impact quite strong to the story.
Lilith is more a stubborn girl than evil person.

kurosx

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tanzania
I was really liking Egghead until the 1 billion chapters transmision began. At this point I am started to feel insulted by Oda

chess4

Reaction score
Country
United States
With this Clover revelation, I'm sure now that Momo and Shirohoshi are both Ds. Also Nolan and Kagara, like someone else said, are probably Ds as well.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In the end, it will be the D faction vs Imu
Yes I think Luffy and Blackbeard will be teaming up for a short while, more like the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Afterwards it will be the Strawhats vs the Blackbeards for the title of king.

I think as the arc ends, we will be getting serious revelation about the D clan. I'm sure a lunarian and a buccaneer will be revealed as Ds too

Ero-Sanji

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I think he had made some retcons with the D name by Marineford, so it's strange we never see anyone in Luffy's life try to shut him up from constantly screaming his full name at every single person he comes across. It'd have been in character for Garp to give him a good wallop the first time he did it and Luffy just didn't understand or care to hide it so he just carried on doing exactly what he was doing. Knowing what he knows, Garp should've been terrified of anyone discovering Luffy was a Monkey D. That's two names he should *not* have wanted getting out in the world but nah guy just chucked him in the woods and offloaded him on Best Mom Dadan.
Yeah, and the situation with Ace is even stranger. Like, was Garp geniuinely going to allow him to enlist as Portgas D. Ace?! Speaking of marines. Jaguar had no knowledge of it and thus had no problem speaking of it to a complete stranger and yet that same person never knew that her mentor was a D as well, let alone that someone could have such a name. There has to be a reason why Clover and Law's families never spoke on it, not even to their closest associates.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, and the situation with Ace is even stranger. Like, was Garp geniuinely going to allow him to enlist as Portgas D. Ace?! Speaking of marines. Jaguar had no knowledge of it and thus had no problem speaking of it to a complete stranger and yet that same person never knew that her mentor was a D as well, let alone that someone could have such a name. There has to be a reason why Clover and Law's families never spoke on it, not even to their closest associates.
The one connection I can think of is education level. The families we know that have hidden the D name are Law's parents who are doctors, Clover who is a renowned archaeologist, and Cobra family who have a repuation of being wise rulers (also have separate incentive in having Lily's letter and knowing a bit about WG founding). The other Ds we have seen so far that aren't hiding it all seem more like normal people with no formal education to even being straight up dumb like Luffy.

AmyRose

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Ok, so Atlas practically commited suicite to buy Strawhats time to escape. I'm quite sure it didn't do a shit to Nusjuro though. Also phrasing of new batch of spoilers is hilarious. I'm sitting reading them, there comes "Vegapunk have one more part of message." then "Denjiro became daimio of the Kibi." and I'm like wtf. Anyway, I'm completly sure Vegapunks knew not all of them will survive so at some point they get ready for making sacrefices just to make sure Strawhats can save at least one of them. Also someone (mayby Stussy while on her way to escape) should take down York because as long as she is alive Lilith can't be safe due to fact that she can "detect" her.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so Atlas practically commited suicite to buy Strawhats time to escape. I'm quite sure it didn't do a shit to Nusjuro though. Also phrasing of new batch of spoilers is hilarious. I'm sitting reading them, there comes "Vegapunk have one more part of message." then "Denjiro became daimio of the Kibi." and I'm like wtf. Anyway, I'm completly sure Vegapunks knew not all of them will survive so at some point they get ready for making sacrefices just to make sure Strawhats can save at least one of them. Also someone (mayby Stussy while on her way to escape) should take down York because as long as she is alive Lilith can't be safe due to fact that she can "detect" her.
Yeah, would explain why Denjiro would happen to be in Kibi otherwise. With his new position, I wonder if he’ll try to do a series of reforms in the event more people start hating on Yamato for her heritage.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think its also important to remember that the Satellites don't so far appear to be fully organic beings and in some cases are mostly robotic (Edison & Atlas). So as long as one of them survives in theory the rest can be re-built and get their minds back via Punk Records. That's why its mostly important to save Punk Records and Stella since they are the core. With them all the rest can come back. The Satellites dying doesn't have much weight to it since death is not the end for them.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully the full chapter summary clarifies some things. Right now my thoughts are:

Why would Emet be so vague inside his own head? Even considering Japanese is a context heavy language it'd be implied what Emet is talking about (think about how Light's internal dialogue works in Death Note).

Why do we care about Clover being a "D"? Clover was interesting in the context of Robin's past but I feel like this reveal isn't going to hit as hard as Oda thinks it will.

People didn't know Roger was Gol D Roger, sure, but that's kind of a nothing burger since the part of Vegapunk's announcement that pertained to the meaning of "D" was interrupted. So basically people learned that Roger had a middle initial that carries some level of unknown significance.

Repeating that Roger's crew knew the history.. why? I almost wonder if he forgot this was already mentioned. Again, I need more context on how this bubbled up but it sounds like filler to me. The only interesting outcome I could see coming from this is that Buggy is a known member of Roger's crew so it'd be hilarious to see him just winging it and spreading false Void Century information.

I'm not sure how Atlus goes from being squished by Lucci to being able to have a significant role in holding off the Gorosei.

I much preferred the information dumps between the acts of Wano. This has so far just been some minor validation to things we assumed and some reiteration of things we know. The world's reactions aren't super interesting to me personally especially since most characters have been shown with very minor, irrelevant dialogue in response to this message.

Also curious how Emet goes from being the indestructible robot who broke Warcury's horn and injured him when even G5 Luffy couldn't, to having his arm destroyed in a single chapter?

Emet is interesting at least. It'd be funny if he was a homie or something.