The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oyasumi Punpun (Goodnight Punpun)
By: ASANO Inio
Genre: Seinen, Slice of Life, Psychological, Drama, Romance, Mature
Serialized In: Young Sunday (2007 - 2008), Big Comic Spirits (2008 - Present)
Publisher: Shogakukan
Mangaupdates

Witness the titular Punpun - who is depicted as a tiny, caricatured bird in an otherwise normal human setting - as he copes with his dysfunctional family and friends, his love interest, his oncoming adolescence and his hyperactive mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The first four volumes left me feeling a little cold, they were good but I preferred some of his older series. After volume 5 and 6 I changed my mind. Brilliant, both were brilliant. Yuichi flipping out and abandoning the family, Punpuns first date (and mesmerizing new hair), his mothers illness, redemption, and death were highlights for me. With so much going on I am dying for volume 7 to be translated. Especially with his father seemingly returning.

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I feel like Inio finally hit his stride in volume 5 (probably my favorite of the bunch so far) with this one and the epicness has continued on into 6. I don't think I was as disappointed with 1-4 as you were, Kaiten -- it's still Inio after all, so it wasn't bad by any stretch. I still quite liked it. :p But I do agree that the story quality picks up in 5. Yuichi is one of the most interesting characters for me, so I loved the whole story revolving around him. Oh, and I decided to make a sig dedicated to Punpun's "awesome" new hair. I love it! It's just so... bad. :XD

I can't wait for volume 7 either. The return of Punpun's dad will surely be interesting and possibly very emotional.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I love the sig, I told you that already though!

Don't get me wrong, compared to 99% of manga out there the first four volumes were brilliant. I happened to like Nijigaharah Holograph and Solanin a bit more.

Yuichi is so intriguing right now. I can't tell if he's going to settle down and become a respectable adult or go on a murderous rampage. Of course he could passive-aggressively torture his family and friends some more, which I fully expect. Ultimately he seems to be a good person, maybe he finds his way in ensuing volumes.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Aah this thread is so old, why are there so few people reading this :D

I'm just at the end of Vol 2. It's not the smooth read type of manga imo, it's pretty depressing after all :amuse
I'll continue reading though, interesting to hear that it will improve later. It has a cool style and is very crazy, two things which totally catch me. And yet so dark and depressing °_°

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
I absolutely agree. More people should be reading and discussing Inio! :shakefist He is really fantastic at creating moving, thought-provoking, slice of life manga. It can be incredibly depressing and even a bit difficult to read at times because of that, but always brilliant. Hopefully we'll get some more discussion here once volume 7 comes out. :amuse

I can't wait to hear what you think once you hit volume 5, Rofl, or at least what you think about Yuichi once he's introduced (if he hasn't been already). Since you say you like 'crazy', I know you will love what's to come after volume 2. :tem

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Punpun's God and thoughts about masturbation are crazy enough so far :XD

Josef

Dank Trump
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I find this manga hard to cry or laugh at .. :s It is so deep and so psychological, yet I find it funny, like I am look at some dark twist on reality. I think more of humanity is put into Punpun than any other character. Whenever I can not emotionally justify what I am reading I look for rational explanations and try to analyze, sadly with Punpun I am left to wonder and wonder to oblivion.

---------- Post added July 01, 2012 at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was June 18, 2012 at 03:50 AM ----------

I know it is difficult to read this at some points or even start it, odd setting is odd. But I am still going to sticky this to get more attention. I really want to hear different opinions on this manga. I know it is hard to discuss psychological stuff but seriously what does everyone think? :D

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
There is probably the same news in English somewhere, but here it says Punpun will end at volume 14 which will make it end probably current 2014.

Last edited:

Gantzter127

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I can't bring myself to read this manga sometimes, I have a hard time understanding it from time to time. Still really well done manga, I like the Psychological side to it that Asano Inio has added even though I have a hard time understanding it, awesome manga! ^^

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I can't bring myself to read this manga sometimes, I have a hard time understanding it from time to time. Still really well done manga, I like the Psychological side to it that Asano Inio has added even though I have a hard time understanding it, awesome manga! ^^
It's very confusing, might take rereads as well. Might even take some time between picking up again. Well, it's a kind of reality perhaps not common to everyone. It is real, yet there is a shadow of weirdness looming. It's surreal, perhaps not made to make sense, just random, the problem with Punpun is that it DOES try to make sense at times.

Gantzter127

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I understand it very well, it's just some parts are like "WTF". Only 16 so understandable. hehe

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I understand it very well, it's just some parts are like "WTF". Only 16 so understandable. hehe
Hm, well the manga should be easy to relate to then. :XD Certain pats are just not understandable for the sake of not being understandable. Though deep down we may understand the irrational stuff in the manga.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Indeed. ^^
If you have nay questions about the manga perhaps we can debate them here? :) One word posts are not too contributive, please post more content. :)

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Man I really lost track of this manga... I think I'm gonna reread it once it's finished. Viz should get on this, though.

ish3

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Great manga great ending. It's funny how after aiko died after his whole life revolved around her he starts to forget her.