Question - People Who Read spoilers | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question People Who Read spoilers

weixiaobao

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 5 questions

1) Do the first summary spoiler. Usually a few lines. Tend to be better or worse than the actual chapter in your exp?
2) An example of a chapter where the chapter is way way way better than the spoiler summary? (just describe the chapter)
3) An example of a chapter where the chapter is way way way worse than the spoiler summary?
4) Has reading spoilers enhance or detract from your reading experience?
5) The one time where the chapter is so very different compare to what you think the chapter is when reading the spoiler?

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Spoilers rarely do chapters justice, only now and then when it's a very boring chapter which is subjective.

I guess the really issue with summaries is, writing any form of literature in summary is a skill. It requires using the right words, highlighting the things that stand out and are important, and maybe adding context, but then again, it's a summary.

I don't judge a chapter with summary, I wait for the actual chapter because the summary is just a summary at the end of the day. Details will be missed and they tend to add a lot to the overall feel of the chapter whether it's an artistic detail, wording of dialogues, etc. Some things will be lost in the summary.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 5 questions

1) Do the first summary spoiler. Usually a few lines. Tend to be better or worse than the actual chapter in your exp?
2) An example of a chapter where the chapter is way way way better than the spoiler summary? (just describe the chapter)
3) An example of a chapter where the chapter is way way way worse than the spoiler summary?
5) The one time where the chapter is so very different compare to what you think the chapter is when reading the spoiler?
1.) Different. Reading something like, "Luffy upper cuts Kaido and masters COC attacks" in a spoiler gets me excited. Seeing it in action is a different kind of excitement. I don't need to be surprised by it in the manga to enjoy it.
2.) Ace dying. It was shocking in the form of a spoiler. Seeing it in action was like being a child experiencing the death of a close friend or pet for the first time.
3.) Chapter 1000 was disappointing to me. Spoilers felt more hyped than the chapter itself.
4.) Neutral. I'm not one of those "One Piece is the best manga ever" people, so I have no issues being spoiled week to week. I don't read spoilers for manga that I enjoy more like FMA when it was running, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
5.) Some of these Zoro / Sanji fanslators lately make the chapters seem biased in favor of their characters that don't appear in the actual chapter.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I might stop reading spoilers. Beginning to find the summaries give literally all the details and takes some excitement out of the release. We get actual rough translations of the raws now. Might just avoid spoilers from now on to be honest. Summary quality seems to have been really good past couple chapters or I'm just beginning to realise it, lol.

weixiaobao

Reaction score
Country
United States
I might stop reading spoilers. Beginning to find the summaries give literally all the details and takes some excitement out of the release. We get actual rough translations of the raws now. Might just avoid spoilers from now on to be honest. Summary quality seems to have been really good past couple chapters or I'm just beginning to realise it, lol.
I had lash out as you before (maybe even months ago). Sorry about that. But I usually lurk on those new chapter thread when the barelest of spoiler release and watch what people reaction to them. While just mere hours latter, the scene that they react to in their head couldn't be further than reality in the actual chapter. I have anger problem, hence sometimes I don't read responses back to my lashing out after I lash out because it only just fueling the cycle of tainting my own day. I am getting better.

Oda is not a perfect writer. Some of his flaws do have to do with the constraints that is the weekly shonen jump format. There are legit criticisms. And when I said legit, I don't meant (like other people) just the criticism I agree with. I meant criticisms about things that even though I don't find a problem with that, I could see how it is a problem to other people. But now, I gonna talk about criticisms that less legit in some degree. Level 1 of criticisms that I don't like but I can tolerate is personal preference. Due to people's knowledge, values, etc they may like/hate a story piece. Merphy just did a Fishman Island review, and she loved it. I revisit Fishman Island so often and had most sporadically about the arc over the year. I didn't Otohime. I didn't hate Hody Jones. I found their characters poignance just like Merphy did. Using my knowledge about colonialism, geopolitics, history, and even current racial relation. Sometimes what people found illogical, I am like people are illogical in real life. But these characters do act within their logic and has a point to them. The level 2 criticisms that I despite is people theorize of how One Piece gonna happen a certain way in their head (that ISN'T canon) and then they got upset when it does not play out that way. But at least, they put some effort into their opinion. The Level 3 criticisms that I found lazy, bandwagoning, sheep, is the sort I found in these chapter thread when early spoiler chapter release. I see some of this too in all the manga online website. This is even worst because the entire arc already written and their answer/question/criticism is literal the next chapter in which they gonna read in like the next 2 minutes. Lazy as in there is ZERO critical thinking. Lazy as in they are so quick without waiting for like a mere few hours to either confirm or not confirm what they think they are reacting to. Their rant can be completely legit if only they wait until they confirmed that what they are ranting about is actually real.

A lot of these sentiments are not original. They are group think and got fostered via an echo chamber. Some of them had been running in their head for so long that they think is true before someone actually break it down to them. The amount of uncharitability that people quickly throw Oda under the bus. To the point I am going oh my gosh, if Oda is that bad, that terrible. Why am I even reading this junk.

I do wonder had it always been this bad. Or maybe because as a property getting larger, there are such diverse of fans with all diverse attitude and opinions. But at the end of the day, they are not in the wrong. I am in the wrong for not moderating my own behaviors. And so nowsadays. If I scroll through a thread and I start to get piss off. I just log off and do other things. Though to be fair, I failed/give in to the temptation and post comments here and there.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

2.) Ace dying. It was shocking in the form of a spoiler. Seeing it in action was like being a child experiencing the death of a close friend or pet for the first time.
4.) Neutral. I'm not one of those "One Piece is the best manga ever" people, so I have no issues being spoiled week to week. I don't read spoilers for manga that I enjoy more like FMA when it was running, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Wasn't FMA monthly or every 2 weeks? Lol, consider that is the title of the chapter. I wonder how volume reader felt when they saw it in the index or saw the chapter cover before reading it. Ace's death is shocking due to the placement of it. Some coming in knowing Whitebeard gonna die. Much fewer coming in may think that Ace may not make it. But the way Ace's death position that is masterful. First, One Piece's weakness is that it rarely killed a "name" character (that isn't name in the databook years and years later) in the current timeline. This is also way before Vergo/Monet. But that does add impact to Ace's death. Secondly, Oda didn't give the Ace's flashback until after Ace die. Some may feel that is the weakness in the writing. But this move make it feel like Ace's story is too incomplete to kill him off which make his death more shocking. And beside, I think the action flow way better this way. Thirdly, the reveal that Ace is Roger's son in the beginning of the arc. It makes him so much more important. In another story, he would be the protagonist giving his heritage. It almost make one feel he gonna survive the arc. Fourth, he was killed before Whitebeard. The majority of the fans believe Whitebeard gonna die, and the guy just gave a suicidal speech. Then Oda pulled the rug and killed Ace first. That shock.

This is why I like the internet. A lot of things are archived. I sometimes go find that chapter thread in different forum to read people's reaction for the first time reading it way back then. Speaking of which, I may go find the Sabaody thread chapters ages ago. To read people's reactions.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wasn't FMA monthly or every 2 weeks? Lol, consider that is the title of the chapter. I wonder how volume reader felt when they saw it in the index or saw the chapter cover before reading it. Ace's death is shocking due to the placement of it. Some coming in knowing Whitebeard gonna die. Much fewer coming in may think that Ace may not make it. But the way Ace's death position that is masterful. First, One Piece's weakness is that it rarely killed a "name" character (that isn't name in the databook years and years later) in the current timeline. This is also way before Vergo/Monet. But that does add impact to Ace's death. Secondly, Oda didn't give the Ace's flashback until after Ace die. Some may feel that is the weakness in the writing. But this move make it feel like Ace's story is too incomplete to kill him off which make his death more shocking. And beside, I think the action flow way better this way. Thirdly, the reveal that Ace is Roger's son in the beginning of the arc. It makes him so much more important. In another story, he would be the protagonist giving his heritage. It almost make one feel he gonna survive the arc. Fourth, he was killed before Whitebeard. The majority of the fans believe Whitebeard gonna die, and the guy just gave a suicidal speech. Then Oda pulled the rug and killed Ace first. That shock.

This is why I like the internet. A lot of things are archived. I sometimes go find that chapter thread in different forum to read people's reaction for the first time reading it way back then. Speaking of which, I may go find the Sabaody thread chapters ages ago. To read people's reactions.
I honestly don't remember FMA's release schedule. Just got through Jojolion which took a solid 10+ years for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and I'd say that was definitely worth not spoiling. Steel Ball Run de-throned One Piece as my favorite Manga.

Ace's death was kind of shocking because I vividly remember discussing with my fellow nerdy OP readers back at that time (I believe it was around 2009-2010) about how Ace would spend the rest of Marineford "flying around and shooting fireballs" and his debut there was just so short-lived. It was literally one of the most epic moments OP ever had and will have.

Akainu: "Watch what I'm about to do."

Then you just see the vivre card shrivel up into nothingness wondering how the hell Oda is going to write away Ace's death, because he has a dream goddammit, and dreaming characters don't die! Except next chapter was "Death of Portgas D Ace". It really lines up with those Ace chapters that have been slowly coming out. Whitebeard definitely foresaw Ace as too hot-headed and not ready for enemies of Akainu's calibre.

TheMoa

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
In my case the summary is never better than the chapter itself, even tough I may read something.. seeing in action and how it's done is a different expericence.

I do think it takes a little bit away from the excitement of reading without spoilers... but it "extends" the overral experience (for me).

I read the chapter friday ("that was cool")
the weekend I process it ("wait, did I mis that?")
the week start and I take a look at the spoilers ("wait, that doesn't make much sense.. how?"
I read the chapter friday ("oh, that's how. Cool")
rinse and repeat

But I don't read the spoilers every week, even the chapters. Sometimes I take a break for a time (like act 2 of Wano)

I can't think of especific chapters because everything gets mixed in my mind along the years.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
It generally worsens the experience IMHO... The only exception is Redon, whose detailed post makes it feel like reading a novel and far more enjoyable than the other spoilers..

But One Piece manga has amazing visuals, and no spoiler can do justice for that. heck, even the scans dont, viz does a great job at the end.

Everytime there is a big reveal, the spoiler starts with the reveal which is usually the end of the chapter... the biggest one for me was
Ace being revealed as Gol D Roger's son...
If I read the chapter, there was a decent build up to that narrative, cos you are reading it imagining it to be Dragon till that point of time... The other one was Gear 4, although the chapter read still brings the best through visuals.

I dont think that has happened... It would happen in this forum with naruto and fake spoilers, which in many times were more entertaining than the actual chapter, bur not in OP...

not really. Spoilers makes discussion in forums fun... i'll be honest, i am only here for OP, and i am only still reading OP cos MH is now a habit. Spoilers play a role of evolution of the narrative sometimes, with small reveals opening up theories and eventual chapters narrowing them down. there are chapters where i wish i felt i should've waited for the chapter, but most of the chapters aren't big reveals and just sequential events. So the discussion adds experience..

i think there was one time when it was revealed that Giolla's abilities was what made puppets but it wasn't and it was totally a different DF... that was bad and there were a few times the spoiler giver has made assumptions, but usually, Redon always clears it up....

I dont think i'll stop with the spoilers... if my schedule changes in the future, i will stop reading OP completely and stick to reading volumes together, so perhaps then, but as long as i am reading weekly, spoilers adds fun to the discussion and theory, even if it gets it wrong