Country - Philippines | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Country Philippines

hornolio

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Re: Filipino/Tagalog Language

Really? bakashijinsan?Then its just sad... Blame CORY for that. cough..gaga..cough..crazy biatch.. cough... ..thank God our principal sticked to english rather than tagalog. It would have been disastrous if we used tagalog. Although we had problems during our neat exams 10yrs ago.

p.s. some filipinos speak four dialects especially in the vis-min region

bakashijinsan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

not really a sad situation seeing that english has many benefits for us. but the main point is, it's better to use the language/dialect that would be easier to be understood by the students.

p.s. some filipinos speak four dialects especially in the vis-min region
yeah. but it'd still be better if lessons are taught in the medium that's most familiar with the students. in your case, bisaya.

aniway

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Pilipino(Filipino- our race) is now the medium in teaching kids about our language, it uses some words that are from other dialects but most of the words used are tagalog

TechnoMagus

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

Ei, first post in this thread....

I'm not sure if this is still valid now, but I think before Filipino and Pilipino are two different things in English context and "Pilipino" context.
As an example....
"Ang isang Pilipino ay may pambansang wika na tinatawag na Filipino."
A Filipino has a national language called Pilipino.

In an English language context, the word Pilipino refers to the language while Filipino refers to the person.
(Sa konteksto ng wikang Ingles, ang salitang "Pilipino" ay tumutukoy sa wika samantalang ang "Filipino" ay tumutukoy sa tao.)

In a PILIPINO language context, the word "Pilipino" refers to the person while "Filipino" refers to the language.
(Sa konteksto ng wikang FILIPINO, ang salitang Pilipino ay tumutukoy sa tao samantalang ang Filipino ay tumutukoy sa wika.)

Another example, the title of the song "Ako ay PILIPINO" translates into "I am (a) FILIPINO" and the previous post.

Confusing eh?

Worse, in Spain/Portugal and Netherlands...Filipino might refer to a brand of biscuits. Suffice to say it tastes good/yummy and so are the real Filipinos (person) which might add to the confusion. :Haha

EDIT: We really resent/hate it when a solution to this "dilemma" is to spell it as "PHILIPINO"!

~Lilium~

Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory

how come there's 2 filipino threads... :confused

[ayah]Are you refering to this + The Pinoy Hang Out Thread? If yes, this is strictly about the language while the other thread acts like the regular Hang Out Thread except it's mostly in Filipino.[/ayah]

Last edited by a moderator:

aimaimaim

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score

hi.. new here. uhmm anyways i just wanna share these things to you because I have some confusions with tagalog words and english words... yeah whatever.

from the book of Bob Ong.

Bakit Baliktad Magbasa ng Libro ang Mga Pilipino
(Why Does Filipinos Read Books Backwards)

effective - is not "epektibo" becuase epektibo is Spanish. in Pilipino it is "Mabisa"
handicraft - is "gawang kamay"
multiplication - is not "multipilkasyon" but is is "pagpaparami"

and there are also words like these

bone- is "buto"; yet
seeds- is "buto" but can also be called as "liso"

you need to know the usage of the words.

and oh! (my pinoy dyan, alam niyo ba na may tagalog version ang "Radiation"?)

Radiation- "Raniag"

meron din ang Oxidation at Chemical Reaction

Oxidation- "Dugulan"
Chem Reaction- "Latian"

also

Cloud- is "Ulap"
Fog- is "Ulop"

and lastly about electricity.

Electricity is "kuryente" in tagalog but can be also called as "dagitab" or i "-dag"has something to do with electricity because..

Lightning- can be called "kidlat" yet in cebuano(a native philippine language), it can also be called "dagitab"

Electromagnet- is can be called "dagbalani"
Electric Flow- is "dagdaloy"; and
Electric Field- is "daglarangan"

and i think that would be enough i guess.. well.. enjoy! and i hope di kayo madagitab! ^^

hunter71485

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Storm's End

good one aim.
though scientifically speaking, may dagitab na dumadaloy sa ating katawan...

alas, i am one of those who grew up in a generation whose language of instruction is tagalog. although my teachers frequently use english, after a lesson that doesn't concern the foreign language, balik sa filipino. some of you may know, but i'll still put it in:tagalog is a luzon dialect. filipino alphabets contain 2 additional letters (1 of spanish descent, 1 a malay consonant): "ñ" and "ng". filipino language today is like not being taught in schools. instead, they focus on the tagalog dialect. how wasteful of time. they spent an entire generation teaching it, then not using it on the next.

bisayang dako

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

good one aim.
filipino language today is like not being taught in schools. instead, they focus on the tagalog dialect. how wasteful of time. they spent an entire generation teaching it, then not using it on the next.
i agree hunter, tagalog now a days is taught in taglish and shortening it thru text messaging. its funny sometimes when i recieve emails from my friends in pinas and i can barely understand it.

in the light of the growing call center economy in the philippines, hopefully, our great politicians will have the presence of mind to consider English as the meduim of teaching. this goes also for our large economy of human exports. we were once the number one english speaking nation in asia but we are lagging. i do have to give it up to us pinoys/pinays for easily learning new language.

HEADMASTER

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Filipino/Tagalog Thread

Buwan ng agosto ngayon eh di buwan din ng wika
Mabuhay ang WIkang Filipino!!!!

"Ang du magmahal sa sariling wika ay higit pa sa malansa at mabhong isda." - Dr. Jose P. Rizal (Pambansang Bayani ng PIlipinas)

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
August 18, 2007 was the date for the last thread. Dagdagan natin. December 22, 2010 ngayon. Tatlong taon ang lumipas.

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys, I'm off to the Phils in 2 weeks... any places you'd reccomend going? :3

NosremeNad

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Is this thread still alive? lol.

moniker

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
August 18, 2007 was the date for the last thread. Dagdagan natin. December 22, 2010 ngayon. Tatlong taon ang lumipas.
Coincidentally, 3 years ulit ang nakalipas bago nagkapost ulit ng bago. Hahah