Country - Philippines | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Country Philippines

clarity142

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
As far as I know there are Filipinos wandering around here at MH. Just for the fun of it...why not make a Filipino language section, right? So here it is. Just ask away what ever you guys wanna know. Here is a link for common greetings and phrases :amuse

okyatoks

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Filipino/Tagalog Language

Ang galing mo talaga Clarity!!! Oks na oks!!!
Tama ka nga, maraming aaligid-aligid ditong mga Pinoy... hahahaha! :shannaro

foxez69

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

hehe.. Wow.. Really there are filipinos here? I thought I was the only one.. wakokokoko.. wakekekeke..

Chidoki

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

It makes sense to have a tagalog translation since anime is an extremely huge popularity in the Philippines...like extremely huge. There should be a fair amount of people that can understand tagalog and read japanese, it just depends if they are here in this forum or are willing to translate it.

Pero mukhang wala eh...so too bad nalang kung wala.

Ayah

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Nagsisilabasan na ang mga Pinoy dito. Wala pang dayuhan na nagrereply.

Most, if not all, Filipinos who can read can also understand English to some extent so I don't think it is necessary that there should be a Tagalog translation when there's an English one available. But if you guys insist, why not? Of course, it's best if it is a Japanese to Filipino translation rather than Japanese->English->Filipino.

BTW, this thread needs a pronunciation guide :amuse

Remember:
A as in Apple
E as in Elephant
I as in Indian
O as Orange
U as in Cook (LOL, can't think of a word that starts with the letter U that has the same sound as the double O's right now :p)

If you can speak Japanese or Spanish, you won't have much a problem speaking vowels in Filipino words correctly.

clarity142

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Thanks Ayah for the pronounciation guide. I knew I forgot something. Anyways, I don't know any Jap-Fil translator out there and its not really necessary since we Pinoys understand English.

btw Pinoy is a slang word for Filipino and some are using Taglish, that is Tagalog/Filipino with English words thrown in the mix.

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

clarity142, Ayah... keep up the good work! :knk :thumbs :knk

And may I add this info for non-Filipino users: (From the Philippine Embassy in the USA)

• More than 80 indigenous languages and dialects are spoken in the Philippines. (others says its 160+ ... excluding slang, street and gay talk)
  • These languages and dialects belong to the Malayo-Polynesian group of the Austronesian language family. (Closely related to Bahasa)
  • The most widely spoken are Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Hiligaynon, Bicol, Waray-Waray, Pampangan, Pangasinan, and Maranao.
  • English and Filipino (formerly spelled Pilipino) are the official languages.
  • Filipino is largely based on Tagalog, with many words adopted from other languages, including English and Spanish.
  • It was made the national language in 1987 in an attempt to address the fact that no two of the indigenous languages are mutually comprehensible. Filipino is a required subject in schools, but English is more commonly used in higher education.
  • English is also commonly used in government and commerce.
  • Some Filipinos are trilingual, speaking an indigenous language, Filipino, and English.
  • Many Filipinos continue to primarily speak their indigenous language, rather than Filipino.
  • Very few people speak Spanish, despite the country’s colonial history. (Although a lot of words in Filipino are Spanish in origin)
  • Spanish never became a widely used or learned language in the Philippines, in contrast to the Spanish colonies in the Americas, because the Spanish friars used the vernacular to introduce Catholicism to the indigenous population. (There are some parts in the country whose people speaks pidgin Spanish, known as Chavacano - Cavite City | Ternate, Cavite | and Zamboanga City)
  • Arabic and various dialects of Chinese are spoken by a small minority of the population.(Mostly Fukien from Fujian Province of China - about 90% of the Chinese in the country, Mandarin - taught in Chinese Schools, Taiwanese and Cantonese)

* greens - I added...

For more info:
http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/about/population.htm
http://countrystudies.us/philippines/
http://www.asian-festival.org/countries/Philippines.html

Ayah

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Thank you okyatoks for adding information on languages spoken in the Philippines :Gaipose

EDIT:
and the Philippines in general

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Salamat din Ayah!!! at walang anuman.

(Thank you Ayah and not a problem) :jir_thumb

clarity142

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Maraming Salamat!!!(Thank you so much!!) Okaytoks..coz of that you deserve an OSSU :thumbs

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

clarity142 said:
Maraming Salamat!!!(Thank you so much!!) Okaytoks..coz of that you deserve an OSSU :thumbs
Salamat din!!!

For those who understand Filipino or Tagalog... let's just have fun and translate this sentence in english... :p

"Pang-ilang presidente na ba ng bansang Republika ng Pilipinas si Ginang Gloria Macapagal Arroyo?

foxez69

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

ano pong ibig sabihin ng OSSU? :([br]Posted at: April 07, 2006, 05:55:24 AM_________________________________________________
okyatoks said:
Salamat din!!!

For those who understand Filipino or Tagalog... let's just have fun and translate this sentence in english...  :p

"Pang-ilang presidente na ba ng bansang Republika ng Pilipinas si Ginang Gloria Macapagal Arroyo?
Parang ganito.. hindi ko lang alam kung tama

'How many presidents have passed since gloria m. arroyo?"

pero i think yan na ang pinakatama kasi natanong na rin to sa TV long time ago..

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

foxez69 said:
ano pong ibig sabihin ng OSSU? :([br]Posted at: April 07, 2006, 05:55:24 AM_________________________________________________
Correct me if I'm wrong: Ossu is japanese informal word for "hi". (only popular among the young ones and in Dojos) (a bit slang)

BTW... re: your answer... it's good :thumbs ...let's wait for more answers...

Ayah

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I don't think non-Filipinos will go to this thread soon so I'll speak in Filipino ;) with an English translation below... in black.

Akala ko parang "Ok!" ang ossu. Must have been the context.

I thought ossu is like "Ok!"

okyatoks said:
For those who understand Filipino or Tagalog... let's just have fun and translate this sentence in english... :p

Lagi na lang ito tinatanong :sweat Sa palagay ko, tama yung kay foxez69 dahil kung isasalin natin ito ng literal, iba ang kalalabasan nito sa kanyang diwa.
This has always been asked. In my opinion, foxez69's (translation) is correct because if we translate it literally, it [the result] is different from the (intended) meaning.

It looks like this thread has become the place for Filipinos in MH to speak in Filipino xD

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Ayah said:

Lagi na lang ito tinatanong :sweat Sa palagay ko, tama yung kay foxez69 dahil kung isasalin natin ito ng literal, iba ang kalalabasan nito sa kanyang diwa.
This has always been asked. In my opinion, foxez69's (translation) is correct because if we translate it literally, it [the result] is different from the (intended) meaning.

Oks... talagang mahirap ngang isalin sa ingles yung tanong ng literal... tama ka Ayah, isarado na natin yung isyu... :p (I agree, there is no definite exact translation of the question I've posted above, you're right, Ayah.. let's close this issue) :p

with regards to ossu... It seems like it's a "Hi" or "yes sir" at the same time "Ok" or even "wazzup"... I've googled it and saw these sites and their answers vary:

http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/ts/japanese/message/jpnEEUr2Y27EEQq_wyT.html
http://www.animedat.com/Hum/GuidetoAnime/Japguide.html
http://denbeste.nu/Chizumatic/translation/JL_Yale.shtml
http://www.karate-muellheim.de/english/aboutkarate/oss/index.htm

Ayah said:
It looks like this thread has become the place for Filipinos in MH to speak in Filipino xD
Hahahaha!!! Tama ka!!! GSHT (Gumugulong sa sahig habang tumatawa) You're definitely right! ROFL :rofl

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Just wanted to say awesome work and "salamat" for doing this, guys. I've learned a few Tagalog words thanks to Nah-Nah and Dragonzair - stuff like "galing mo," "anong ginagawa mo," and "gusto kong kape :smile-big "

It's a cool language :amuse
Lookin' forward to learning more.

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Hey, GK! nice of you to "come by!" (this is all thanks to clarity142)

Thank you for your support, and may I say the same to all the Admins and Mods of MH!!! :thumbs

I think this goes the same way with some of my fellow "Filipino - MH Campers": Ayah, Clarity142, Nah-Nah, Dragonzair and the rests...
:hinata but I guess I shouldn't preempt them... :p (pasensya na po) :p

"Mabuhay kayong lahat" (Long live to you all) (hmmm... sounds Vulcanish) :p

BTW... I love coffee too!!!

:jir_thumb

Ayah

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

LOL! (TNM - Tumatawa ng Malakas in Filipino :p) Just when I thought nobody who is not a Filipino would reply here anytime soon, Gold Knight drops in here.

@ GK
Maraming salamat sa pagdaan dito!
(Thank you very much for passing by!) If you are interested in knowing what something translates to in Tagalog and Nah-nah & Dragonzair are unavailable at the moment, you could always post your questions here. There's got to be at least one of us Filipinos who are willing to answer your query.

So Nah-Nah and Dragozair taught you what's "Thank you", "You're good" (in terms of commenting an output), ""What are you doing?" and "I like/want coffee" (depending on the situation) respectively, among other stuff, in Tagalog. Not bad!

@ okyatoks
Shouldn't it be "Live long" instead of the other way around?

Translation notes:
* A more literal way of saying "Maraming Salamat" (commonly translated as "Thank you very much") in English is "Thanks a lot" since marami means "many".
* "Mabuhay" may be translated to as "Cheers!" or "Salutations" (the greeting), so what okyatoks said can also mean "Cheers to all of you"

okyatoks

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Ayah said:
LOL! (TNM - Tumatawa ng Malakas in Filipino :p)

@ okyatoks
Shouldn't it be "Live long" instead of the other way around?

* "Mabuhay" may be translated to as "Cheers!" or "Salutations" (the greeting), so what okyatoks said can also mean "Cheers to all of you"
Ayah: I stand corrected... And great job!!! :mgai

Dynamic Dragon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

haha, hey guys, did anyone know that i actually ama filipino? kewl desu XDDD
haha, i speak some languages now, learning my 4th at the mo...

hablo un poco espanol, and some japanese, and two filipino languages (tagalog and visayan *is from bacolod*)

wow, dami apala ninyo dito lol... kilala ko si D, lagi kaming nag to-tok sa MSN XDDDD