Archived - Philosophy Thread | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Archived Philosophy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Gold Knight said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding on the thread's topic early on, by the way.
That's OK! Sh*** happens, life goes on. Drop by more often and share your opinions too. :amuse

Gold Knight said:
Preddy = Socrates of MH? :amuse
Oh, really?! Am I really asking that much? btw, I like the way Socrates made his philosophical dialogues with others. So I take it as a great compliment, hahahaha.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Actually I really like Socrates, but I'm no Socrates. I try to avoid pondering on life because when I overthink, I tend to end up getting into a bad mood. You'll have to forgive my inactivity here ;)

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Gold Knight said:
Actually I really like Socrates, but I'm no Socrates. I try to avoid pondering on life because when I overthink, I tend to end up getting into a bad mood. You'll have to forgive my inactivity here ;)
Funny, it's the exact opposite to me. I end up in a good mood. It must be related to the way of thinking and character traits, cause I sometimes end up with an idea that IMO could make the world a better place, if majority of the humanity accepted it. Good mood guaranteed. Optimism rules!

Oh yeah, and I forgive you. Although there's nothing to forgive. Same as I may miss visiting some threads too often, so may you. I shall bear no negative emotions because of that. Nobody's omnipotent (maybe I should have said "almighty", but this sounds a bit more appropriate to the situation).

# "I'm tired of being friends, let's pretend to be enemies." (some song)
# Every single person needs just one thing to be happy, but he doesn't know what it is.

abdulahi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perfect n Imperfect ?

its a bit of wired thread to start but i just wanted to say something that was running through my mind about perfect. please shed some light on this thread if get what i am trying to say or if you ever think like this or etc etc etc

when i hear something is perfect i automatically think it is imperfect, because something perfect becomes dull as it becomes somewhat predictable. and if it becomes dull does it not somewhat stop being perfect, so, if something was perfect it would end up being imperfect.

and a question stands of when does something turn from imperfect to perfect (i know this can vary between topics) but heres my dilemma, if somehing turns from imperfect to perfect, will it not then become imperfect again??????

i tried to explain this to a friend :sweatdrop and he was so confused to say the least. i 've propbably confused everyone but i hope theres a soul out there that understands this craziness

any views, opinions, help, theories, number to a mental home(just kidding), believes, attitude towards this is ever so welcomed. :leepose

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Re: Perfect n Imperfect ???????????????

There's nothing perfect in this world. Not only, because of your idea. Also it's because of human nature.
Several sciences have defined that human needs are unlimited, because if some of the needs are fulfilled, new needs arise. That's why we can never reach perfection, we can only step further up.

Remember the saying that you can't jump up higher than your bellybutton. :amuse

abdulahi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Perfect n Imperfect ?

when something is perfect is it said to be complete; so good that nothing of the kind could be better; and which has attained its purpose. im wondering if anyone, using these, can think of something that is perfect?

perfect is a state of mind, i believe, and thus it can exist but will it also not be subjected to judgement.

Rampages

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

What if I anhilitated you at ping-pong 21-0 ? Wouldn't that be a perfect game ? :p

EDIT: I took a look at the romance thread, and perhaps you meant there is no perfect person ? In that case, it depends on your personal beliefs, whether or not you believe in a perfect being such as God or not.

abdulahi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Rampages said:
What if I anhilitated you at ping-pong 21-0 ? Wouldn't that be a perfect game ? :p
that would be PERFECT

on the note of the perfect person, can they really exist?????

heres what im thinking. no such thing as the perfect person, unless theres effort from both parties. but if effort is needed would it then not be imperfect, but if ends up being the persons perfect for you after all the effort from both of you, would that imperfect person then not be perfect.
in simple terms - can a perfect person exist? Yes and no! (but thats just my view)

i hope i havent confused anyone :leepose

Rampages

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Humans are not perfect at all, from an objective point of view. Believing someone is doesn't make that person so.

abdulahi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

thanx for input rampage. im going to stop posting on this thread that i started because everytime i post i make less and less sense.

but please feel free to post on anything you wish to wish to say on this topic of perfect and imperfect. as im still interested to hear what you have to say.

Topic merged with the Philosophy thread. - P

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
i had a revelation yesterday. i work for 13 hour at the cinema yesterday and unfortunatly
i didnt have time to take my lunch break. needless to say when i got home at like 11 at night
i was pretty hungry. so i started making some food and the wait was awful. the water took time
to boil, seemed like forever. but then my food was done and i could finally eat. and i ate.
the process of eating didnt give much joy but. when i had finished eating and i leaned back
in my sofa and felt absolutely perfect. thats when it hit me. The best things in life actually are
free. it wasnt the eating that was good. it was the feeling afterwards. just sitting there feeling like
im king of the world just beacause im full. and there are lots of stuff like that. this may sound weird but bear with me.
you really really need to pee. youre possibly standing in line to the toilet. and then finally you can do
your business. im pretty sure everybody will agree with me when i say that it feels gooooooood.
Or we could take another example, you wake up. not by an alarm or anything like that. by yourself.
you are totally rested the sun is shining outside (not in your face that can ruin a lot). you can hear
some birdsong. thats such a great feeling.

so what im saying is this: I really think that the best things in life are your emotions and feelings.
and them you dont have to pay for. therefore the best things in life actually are free.
whats your opinions on this people. do you agree disagree. want to prove me wrong?
go for it!

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
boffenjl said:
i had a revelation yesterday. i work for 13 hour at the cinema yesterday and unfortunatly
i didnt have time to take my lunch break. needless to say when i got home at like 11 at night
i was pretty hungry. so i started making some food and the wait was awful. the water took time
to boil, seemed like forever. but then my food was done and i could finally eat. and i ate.
the process of eating didnt give much joy but. when i had finished eating and i leaned back
in my sofa and felt absolutely perfect. thats when it hit me. The best things in life actually are
free. it wasnt the eating that was good. it was the feeling afterwards. just sitting there feeling like
im king of the world just beacause im full. and there are lots of stuff like that. this may sound weird but bear with me.
you really really need to pee. youre possibly standing in line to the toilet. and then finally you can do
your business. im pretty sure everybody will agree with me when i say that it feels gooooooood.
Or we could take another example, you wake up. not by an alarm or anything like that. by yourself.
you are totally rested the sun is shining outside (not in your face that can ruin a lot). you can hear

so what im saying is this: I really think that the best things in life are your emotions and feelings.
and them you dont have to pay for. therefore the best things in life actually are free.
whats your opinions on this people. do you agree disagree. want to prove me wrong?
go for it!
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3066.0

Try it out and tell me what you feel about this world and love. If you can feel happy while spreading love to animals/people/plants/objects.. etc, I am sure you will feel happy everyday. Feelings and emotions make us human. We should nurture them with care and let them grow spiritually, outwardly and inwardly. Try LS no jutsu. You will feel different.

eQuek

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
boffenjl said:

go for it!
But the food you ate wasnt free, neither was the sofa. Weren't they required for this feeling? And to be able to wake up after sleeping safely means that there must be peace. Peace isn't usually free either, to gain something you must lose something.
Black and White
Evil and Good
Yin and Yang
Light and Darkness
Err... what I'm trying to say is that there is always an other side of most things. Or something like that, I've forgotten the point that I was trying to make :confused

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
eQuek said:
But the food you ate wasnt free, neither was the sofa. Weren't they required for this feeling? And to be able to wake up after sleeping safely means that there must be peace. Peace isn't usually free either, to gain something you must lose something.
Black and White
Evil and Good
Yin and Yang
Light and Darkness
Err... what I'm trying to say is that there is always an other side of most things. Or something like that, I've forgotten the point that I was trying to make  :confused
i know exactly what you mean and i thought about it when i wrote it.

but there is a possibility to eat free food. right? go out and hunt. peoples been doing it since we were
apes. and i dont need the sofa... i can just sit outside and look at the sun on a rock. and hey i dont
a toilet to pee..... so what im saying is that you could gain these great feelings in other ways.
my way of getting them is only the quickest and least painfull way. but im pretty sure that
the cavemen could feel good about there day to.

abdulahi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
boffenjl said:

go for it!
i must say i agree with to some degree. however (this is my big but of the day) THERE IS ALWAYS THE UNDERLINE COST. emotions and feelings may be free, and they may be the best thing in life but for you to expereince those, you need to be in the right conditions, or meet the right Requirements, and those are the things that cost money, cash, funds, etc etc. let me explain this using your example.
boffenjl said:
just sitting there feeling like im king of the world just beacause im full.
the cost comes from the food you bought, the sofa you sit on, the rent you pay.
boffenjl said:
you wake up. not by an alarm or anything like that. by yourself.
god knows i love that feeling. but it still cost us something doesnt it. like the bed you had to buy, or again the rent you must be paying,(and if you guys are familiar with the business/economics term ''Opportunity Cost'' that is also a next cost to this example) etc etc...

like i said before i agree with you to some extant, the best things may be free but they almost always have a cost behind them.

i say ''almost always'' because, let me use another of boffenjl's example, the one about peeing. there is no cost for peeing as there are free toilets (well at least where im from) and the feeling you said boffenjl couldnt agree with you more

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
hmm...there's always a 'but' to everything in life isn't there? To me, true joy comes from being content. It is hard for humans to learn to be content and this, I think, lies at the root of all evil. Contentment is a miracle in itself because it requires us to know and recognize what is 'enough'. That takes true wisdom. :)

Kusachu

Reaction score
Country
United States
philosophy buffs: After reading Steven Pinker's "The Blank Slate" which is about discrediting the 'the noble savage', 'the ghost in the machine', and 'the blank slate' theories in favor of evolutionary phsychology and sociobiology, i have this to say: WHAT A LOAD OF CIRCULAR BANTER! DOES THAT MAN HAVE AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT IN HIS HEAD?? I'm not saying EVERYTHING he said was crap, but as far as reading him goes, THE MAN IS ANNOYING! He uses so many quotes (from people who DO actually have original thoughts)... at least once or twice per page!! And did i mention that he is annoying? His opinions...they are just soooo...jackassity? IDK. He shouldn't have been paid for that book. It should have been aborted. If it was someone else writing it, it may have been good...but no. It WAS funny sometimes, but that was only because the man sounded like a JACKASS! Okay, I'm done ranting about what i hated most about 'the philosophy of human nature'. Thank you for reading! XD

siegfried

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
dula said:
its a bit of wired thread to start but i just wanted to say something that was running through my mind about perfect. please shed some light on this thread if get what i am trying to say or if you ever think like this or etc etc etc

when i hear something is perfect i automatically think it is imperfect, because something perfect becomes dull as it becomes somewhat predictable. and if it becomes dull does it not somewhat stop being perfect, so, if something was perfect it would end up being imperfect.

and a question stands of when does something turn from imperfect to perfect (i know this can vary between topics) but heres my dilemma, if somehing turns from imperfect to perfect, will it not then become imperfect again??????

i tried to explain this to a friend :sweatdrop and he was so confused to say the least. i 've propbably confused everyone but i hope theres a soul out there that understands this craziness

any views, opinions, help, theories, number to a mental home(just kidding), believes, attitude towards this is ever so welcomed. :leepose
hey perfect exits.look at the solar system it is perfect.the books say "if sun were a centimeter closer to the world there would be a huge chaos.human wouldnt survive." the whole universe is perfect.actually human body is perfect too.can you think of anything to add to your body that will make your body more convenient?when microbes comes into the body,your body always find the best way to disinfect them.

[br]Posted at: 29 April 2006, 02:25:47_________________________________________________I like the word "if I had known sth,it is the fact that I dont know anything." but did you know this was wrong?.it should be "if I had known sth,it is the fact that I only know one thing"

well forgive the stupid translations.anyway it is very meaningful when you understand the true meaning behind the words.

"does the true knowledge exist?", "can you say what is true or wrong accurately?"

think about this.all the things that you know comes from your senses.what if your sense is misleading you?think a world like "the matrix" can you still be sure that there is an absolute truth?what if everything is just an illusion?

this will be offtopic but did you know aristotales and socrates and all those big greek philosophers were gay? :blink (no offense anax)
I wonder if does gays think deeper.it is very interesting.

Kusachu

Reaction score
Country
United States
siegfried said:
this will be offtopic but did you know aristotales and socrates and all those big greek philosophers were gay?  :blink (no offense anax)
I wonder if does gays think deeper.it is very interesting.
Socrates also had a wife and children, or so I've been told. :)

It was very common, I’ve heard, for Greek men to take male lovers in that period of history. Also, it was common during the Italian Renaissance, and among samurai in feudal Japan, and probably a whole lot of other cultures around the world and throughout history.

I don't think the issue is about 'gay' people thinking deeper, but maybe it could be that some folks are just more open minded?

siegfried

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Kusachu said:
Socrates also had a wife and children, or so I've been told. :)

It was very common, I’ve heard, for Greek men to take male lovers in that period of history. Also, it was common during the Italian Renaissance, and among samurai in feudal Japan, and probably a whole lot of other cultures around the world and throughout history.

I don't think the issue is about 'gay' people thinking deeper, but maybe it could be that some folks are just more open minded?
ehehe open mindedness sounds right.

well in those times some people were extremmely wealthy(talking about greece) and they didnt need to work.so they needed a occupation to canalize their interests.they had lots of time to enjoy the life and think.they did all the extremme things just for the sake of trying.think of vomitting people just to be able to test the flavour of more food.
that is why people started to think deeply because they had nothing better to do.joys and thinking was all they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.