Fun Thread - Phrases, Sentences, And Words You Like To Use | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Fun Thread Phrases, Sentences, And Words You Like To Use

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hey!

Recently I've found myself using phrases, sentences and words which I've learned from various sorts of media as well as real life. In this thread I'd like for you to share examples of the three which you like using, and perhaps also the situations in which you use them and where you learned them. And if they're foreign, try to translate them into the English equivalent.

As for me, I find myself using:

- Man; Dude:
It's a little weird that I use these terms, seeing as I'm half-Scottish (my English speaking side) and it would make more sense to use British slang. But the fact that I've grown up watching mostly American shows and movies means that I've also adopted some of the slang featured in them. I feel more comfortable using "Man" and "Dude" rather than "Mate" and "Lad".

- "This is weak!":
After hearing this in Adventure Time, I've decided to use it in situations in which I'm annoyed or disappointed.

- "Yayuh!":
Got this one from Regular Show. I love how the main characters say it!

- "You better check yourself before you wreck yourself":
Heard it in the movie Due Date. Unfortunately I don't say as much as I'd like to due to the lack of appropriate situations.

- "Check it before you wreck it":
Recently came across it when I was checking out Hetalia's English dub (I don't care about the "yaoi-ness", the series is hilarious!). I love how Poland said it in a stereotypical accent!

- "L-l-l-ame":
Used in the same manner as a vocal exercise :D! I actually say this when I'm speaking Portuguese (basically the language I speak the most, whilst English is actually the languange I write in the most). Shows and movies aren't dubbed over here, so people usually understand the meaning of some of the words I use. In fact, a lot of people I know tend to use English expressions like "lol" (pronounced as an actual word) and "What the fuck!?".

- "Scheiße":
I only used this word for a short time. The reason why is because I remember hearing Asuka say it a lot in the Evangelion English dub :D!

I realize I didn't post that many examples of stuff I say in Portuguese. Well the reason I didn't is because most of those expressions constitute as swearing and profanity haha :D!

wizzard

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
'Ya-haa' (Eyeshield 21) (sound a bit like the opening of one of Rednex songs (Old pop in an oak?))

"Why, why Mr. Anderson? Why do you persist? Do you fight for something? Is it freedom, peace, love? WHY?! WHY?!"

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Bloody Hell"- Dunno when I started using this but it's become increasingly frequent to describe astonishment, shock or excitement.

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
"Bloody Hell"- Dunno when I started using this but it's become increasingly frequent to describe astonishment, shock or excitement.
The first time i heard someone say that was Ron on one of Harry Potter's movie if i am not wrong. Loved it :D

Adorien

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
[I'm] sorry - I think some people here have heard me say it quite often. xD

yukihime03

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
"Just try." - I say this whenever someone try to challenge me.

"It's not a reason, it's an excuse." - Every time someone gives excuses, of course. People can rarely give logical reasons for their actions.

"Oh well." / "Well..." / "Oh..." - I often use these when I'm starting a sentence, sometimes just as short responses.

"I need something sweet." - I say this everyday for every few hours.

"Huh?" - I often do not understand what people are saying to me so my direct response is usually this.

"Hee?" - This one is influenced by anime.

"So what?" - Every time people tell me something unimportant at the moment. (and believe me, this happens a lot)

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
"Hm, then, I don't know. Interesting." - When I space out mid-talk and miss some useless part of it.
It works.

"If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be saying that I didn't know." During father and son talks.

Kanbaru

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
"What in tarnation.." I use it when I'm so surprised I can't find the proper words to express it. Then I remember this ancient phrase most people don't even remember.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The first time i heard someone say that was Ron on one of Harry Potter's movie if i am not wrong. Loved it :D

Last edited by a moderator:

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
wat's hap'nin....

usually my greeting to friends and fam...

Temperance

The Red Spear
Reaction score
Country
France
:kappa

kira

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire