"Pirates of the Carribean - Dead Man's Chest" Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

"Pirates of the Carribean - Dead Man's Chest" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

karasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys,
This is a thread to discuss the second installment of the pirates..
for those who hasn't watch it, how much expectations you have on the movie..?
for those who has, how was it?

anyway, since it's still a pretty recent movie.. i'm gonna put spoiler tags :D
don't click on it if you don't wanna get spoiled, that's what spoilers do..

i wasn't expecting that at all..
there wasn't an ending, and the movie is just a preparation for a sequel..
it's not like it's bad, but it's like nobody warned me..and i was sitting there for 2 and a half hours..
expecting some sort of an ending..
only to find that it's "to be continued"
corz i was very disappointed.. another year-long of waiting then for the next installment..
and since it's a new movie, i had to wait from 11 in the morning to 3 in the afternon..

anyway..
the comedy bit wasn't too bad..but it was a bit looney and dodgy..
the acting was good.. johnny depp, orlando bloom and keira knightley were fantastic..
but really.. the screenplay and directing was a bit off..
maybe it's because the three of them were in three different places and the story have to keep jumping from one to another..
weak plot.. almost no plot twist..everything can be expected..
no climax..well, there'll be a sequel..
did they kill people more easily in this movie, as compared to the 1st one?

and bad ending..really... it's not like "bad ending" as in someone died and it's all sad..but the development to the end, the proposal to sequel was just bad..
for my personal taste, i don't really like the way they have elizabeth starting to have feelings for sparrow..
it's really unnecessary.. i suppose the next installment someone would turn to drama queen, love triangle, and really, i believe it's unnecessary..
and the end bit, how come that bad guy from the first one still alive and what is he doing there with that witch lady? why is he there anyway?

so... to sum it up.. 5.5/10 for me.. it's really pale in comparison with the first one.. and i hope the third one would be splendid..

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I dare not to click the spoiler, since I only gonna watch just coz there's Johnny Depp in it. But it's better be good, savvy?

Morrigan

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
well, I haven't wached it yet, couse in Poland we have premiere on 27.07 I think... but I loved first part of the story so I look foreward to this one...

I hope that it will be as great as the first movie, hvr I would like to see more action... and of course let it be as funny as the "black pearl" part^^

I can't say much more about it... so I'll write after premiere in our theatres...

c'ya till then, and to other users don't put here unsignatured spoilers^^

vlado

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Not gonna wach it after i saw the spoiler ...i was gonna go at the cinema with my gf to see it but damn....

karasu

Reaction score
Country
Australia
urgh..told ya not to click... >.<

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Inviting others to the dark side, Karasu seems to, yes...

*This is what happen after spending a day repainting Yoda statue*

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's out already? Well, I declined to click on the spoiler.

midnight789

Reaction score
theres actually going to be a third pirates movie, and they are talkin about makin a 4 and 5. as for the second one, i predict it will be good......
Oh ya, everyone go watch the new miami vice movie when it comes out. DO IT!!!!
pls ;P

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Ok, saw it. And I hate to say this, but considering that I enjoyed Superman Returns more than PotC2, that's a disappointment to me. But still, Depp is worth going seeing this movie. It's just not much of a story. Hopefully the third movie will be better, though.

karasu

Reaction score
Country
Australia
he's savvy alright :D

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Funny PG-13 quote from a friend about this movie:

"I don't wanna see Dead Man's Chest. I want Live Girls Breast!"

karasu

Reaction score
Country
Australia
lol.. hahahhaa.. that's a smart quote :D

Raine_Joybringer

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I saw it on Friday night... can't say I'm all that impressed really. They followed the old formula that sequel = bigger explosions and more whacky situations.

:/ I got confused for a lot of it with who was what. The movie answered very little it seemed as well. That means we HAVE to go to the 3rd movie to see what's up. Apparently there's going to be some new pirate villian as well... oh joy.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
PotC broke the all-time opening weekend box office record, grossing $132 million and shattering the previous record held by Spider-Man.

...this kinda amazes me, but at the same time I'm going to guess that the first PoTC movie did more to make this happen than anything in the second movie.

Still, I'm glad for Depp, and this may mean a rebirth of pirate movies in general, which will be fun, I think. This may also mean that Depp might end up coming back to play Captain Jack Sparrow after all even after the third movie. At least, they'll be able to afford it now.

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
watched it last week and weeeelll...

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ENDING? That is such a blatant "to be continued" ploy to get the movie-goers to go back for the 3rd. i felt short-changed after seating through 2 and 1/2 hours only to end up with more questions than answers. It started well enough and I even admire the attempt to 'flesh' out the main characters - a serious side to jack sparrow and a darker edge to elizabeth. but is it just me or does elizabeth's character development seem incongruous at time? and what's with this dying and undying business? :blink

yondaime

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
I see...
I understand quite well your reaction since you probably didn't know PotC is a trilogy...
Just like Matrix Reloaded...
That was lyk...
WTF?
Anyway...
I don't know about u guys...
but I really enjoyed watching PotC 2...
i specially like the ending...
specially when I saw Geoffrey Rush alive again...
w/c means they will also bring back Captain Jack Sparrow...

there wasn't an ending, and the movie is just a preparation for a sequel..
it's not like it's bad, but it's like nobody warned me..and i was sitting there for 2 and a half hours..
expecting some sort of an ending..
only to find that it's "to be continued"
yeah...
just like Matrix Reloaded...
and HP Goblet of Fire...
well, you can say there's no ending coz the story hasn't ended yet...

for my personal taste, i don't really like the way they have elizabeth starting to have feelings for sparrow..
it's really unnecessary.. i suppose the next installment someone would turn to drama queen, love triangle, and really, i believe it's unnecessary..
i don't think elizabeth started to like jack sparrow...
i actually thinks she kinda hates him...
her ruined marriage...
deceptions...
etc...
at the end, it was guilt that i saw, for locking jack in the ship...
not love...

and the end bit, how come that bad guy from the first one still alive and what is he doing there with that witch lady? why is he there anyway?
not that he's STILL alive...
but that he was brought back to life...
and that witch lady already hinted on that...
that it's possible...
heck...
u have davey jones with his heart locked in a chest...
anyway, what is he doing with the witch lady?
probably to inquire about jack sparrow...
common acquaintance...

and i hope the third one would be splendid..
i'm sure it will be...
and i guess this tym, geoffrey will be working with will and elizabeth...

theres actually going to be a third pirates movie, and they are talkin about makin a 4 and 5. as for the second one, i predict it will be good......
not sure about the 4th and 5th...
but m sure that it's a trilogy and that they actually shot the 2nd and 3rd part at the same time...
just like HP 3 and HP 4 being shot at the same tym...

what's with this dying and undying business?
oh it's probably the same business as living while ur heart is out there in a chest and in the process, growing tentacles on your face...

anyway...
i think the movie's main purpose is to entertain, and not really to be heavy with social issues and philosopies and inequity and injustice and history, etc...
as for me, i think they did a good job in entertaining me...
if the ending was a bit hanging as you say it, works good for me...
it only means that iv got another pirates movie to look forward to next year...
maybe i was jst wondering how fast that "thing" could regenerate it's tentacles...
johnny depp might have just started a new pirates-inspired fashion trend... i love his acting...[br]Posted on: July 17, 2006, 04:46:21 AM_________________________________________________oh...
and i'm gonna watch the movie again...
wehehehehe

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yeah, I don't like the whole "To be Continued" gimmick in movies. I didn't like it in Back to the Future, I didn't like it in the Matrix movies, and I didn't like it in PoTC. The only times I like it is when movies are book adaptations like LoTR. But anyway, people need to make these movies stand-alone because otherwise they just lose the audiences's interest for the next movie.

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
yondaime said:
I understand quite well your reaction since you probably didn't know PotC is a trilogy...
...and HP Goblet of Fire...
Gold Knight said:
I didn't like it in the Matrix movies, and I didn't like it in PoTC.
that's why i didn't bother to watch the 2nd and 3rd Matrix. PotC #2 is entertaining (in general) and Johnny Depp is great. But PotC #1 had an 'ending'. A trilogy is fine but I want some form of closure at the end of each. Look at HP. 7 books but each one can stand on its own as an 'individual' story. look at the story arcs for naruto, bleach, one piece (and most other mangas). yes, there is a "to be continued" element at the end but there is still some closure. Just enough to satisfy the need for answers and keep them coming back for more. Probably its just me and my impatience. keep me guessing too long and I lose interest, it just becomes annoying rather than entertaining. :smile-big

yondaime

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Look at HP. 7 books but each one can stand on its own as an 'individual' story.
HP 3 can't stand on its own, with Wormtail's escape...
HP 4 can't stand on its own, with Voldymaru back...

oh, and b4 book 5 came out, there were a lot of fake versions in the net... amazing how these people wrote their own versions and Rowling's style was rtetained...

anyway...

i love the "to be continued aspect" in stories... that's probably y i lyk long series of books... like Wheel of Time (now on its 11th book) and Sword of Truth (now on its 10th)...

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
what i meant is that with HP, there is still some form of closure after each book, on the 'mini' issues and questions - e.g. the sorceror's stone, chamber of secret, Sirius the 'prisoner', the tri-wizard competition, Dobby, Buckbeak, lupin=werewolf and more. Of course the main story of Voldy, Wormtail and etc. is still continuing and running thru all 7 but each individual story has some form of ending :smile-big

Status
Not open for further replies.