Special Move - Possible Shots in Table Tennis From Prince of Tennis | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Special Move Possible Shots in Table Tennis From Prince of Tennis

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
This is a thread to discuss anything from Prince of Tennis that could be logically performed in real life Table Tennis.
This is since this sort of discussion occurs time and time again, thought there should be a place for it now.

Prince of Tennis shots possible in Ping Pong:

Snake, Reverse Snake, Pinwheel Beat, Dunk Smash, Rin, Ka, Fu, Viking Horn, Laser Beam, F&D, F*A*S, Iron Pole Strike, Moukohan, Super Rising, Cord Ball, S*S*A*S

This list can be added to if possible.

Last edited:

Veni

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
This is a thread to discuss anything from Prince of Tennis that could be logically performed in real life Table Tennis.
This is since this sort of discussion occurs time and time again, thought there should be a place for it now.

Prince of Tennis shots possible in Ping Pong:

Snake, Reverse Snake, Pinwheel Beat, Dunk Smash, Kikumaru Beam & Bazooka, Rin, Ka, Fu, Viking Horn, Laser Beam, Magic Volley, F&D, F*A*S, Iron Pole Strike, Moukohan, Super Rising, Cord Ball

We can add to this I was thinking.
You can't hit volleys in table tennis, so magic volley is out, and kikumaru beam is only possible if hit as a backhand smash instead of volley...

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
You can't hit volleys in table tennis, so magic volley is out, and kikumaru beam is only possible if hit as a backhand smash instead of volley...
Oh gosh thanks, screw the Kikumaru attacks, there are no volleys!!

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Oh gosh thanks, screw the Kikumaru attacks, there are no volleys!!
He'll be still jumping around playing acrobatic and you know it, even if he can't do any volleys.

Fuji Shusuke

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hakugei, Hakuryu, Kagerou Zutsumi, Tezuka Phantom, Tezuka Zone, Hopping Ball, Kamikakushi, Hadoukyu (no heaviness on ball though ._. ), Habu (as a stroke), Gen'u Yume Utsutsu, Tornado Snake (maybe), Boomerang Snake, Moon Volley (ineffective though), S*S*A*S, Kamaitachi

If you want PoT physics to apply, these could be included:
Tsubame Gaeshi, Houou Gaeshi, Fifth Counter, Utsusemi, Zero-shiki Drop Shot, Rai, Drive C, COOL Drive, Abame Dama

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Technically Moon Volley is... well, a volley, so it wouldn't be a legal shot in table tennis.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Hakugei, Hakuryu, Kagerou Zutsumi, Tezuka Phantom, Tezuka Zone, Hopping Ball, Kamikakushi, Hadoukyu (no heaviness on ball though ._. ), Habu (as a stroke), Gen'u Yume Utsutsu, Tornado Snake (maybe), Boomerang Snake, Moon Volley (ineffective though), S*S*A*S, Kamaitachi

If you want PoT physics to apply, these could be included:
Tsubame Gaeshi, Houou Gaeshi, Fifth Counter, Utsusemi, Zero-shiki Drop Shot, Rai, Drive C, COOL Drive, Abame Dama
Illusions do not exist in real life sport.

You cannot volley in Table Tennis.

Hopping Ball means the ball cannot bounce, That is a foul in Table Tennis. Kamikakushi is where the ball disappears. We cannot do that in Real Life.

S*S*A*S however could work.

Fuji Shusuke

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, Moon Volley can also be used as a half-volley so... it could be added?

Tezuka Phantom and Tezuka Zone is completely possible in ping pong. Since the table is smaller and spin is easier to execute in ping pong I don't see why it can't be added to the list. If a table tennis professional hits a super sidespin to you, without training you would hit it flat and the ball will go out. In professional table tennis, players need to identify the spin and adjust their paddle accordingly to make the ball go in. So that's why I reckon TZ and TP should be included.

If hit high enough, Hakugei could bounce back to your side of the table however the opponent can run around the table and onto your side and smack the ball :S
Yeah, and Fourth Counter did seem like a bit of a stretch XD

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Well, Moon Volley can also be used as a half-volley so... it could be added?
Still not possible.
Remember Oishi unnecessarily drags his racket on the court? You cannot purposely hit the table with your bat in Table Tennis.

Tezuka Phantom and Tezuka Zone is completely possible in ping pong. Since the table is smaller and spin is easier to execute in ping pong I don't see why it can't be added to the list.
Its not on the list, because a human cannot force a ball off of his table at will for each and every point, knowing that the ball will swerve off course back to either his own paddle or to the side of the table.

The law of, ''if there is a ball I cannot return, then I should not be able to return it... Tezuka Phantom...'' cannot exist in the real world lol.

If a table tennis professional hits a super sidespin to you, without training you would hit it flat and the ball will go out. In professional table tennis, players need to identify the spin and adjust their paddle accordingly to make the ball go in. So that's why I reckon TZ and TP should be included.

If hit high enough, Hakugei could bounce back to your side of the table however the opponent can run around the table and onto your side and smack the ball :S
Yeah, and Fourth Counter did seem like a bit of a stretch XD[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Yeah, and Fourth Counter did seem like a bit of a stretch XD
Fourth Counter requires two hands... But it IS possible. Unless its in the rules you specifically cannot use two hands.

Fuji Shusuke

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Still not possible.
Its not on the list, because a human cannot force a ball off of his table at will for each and every point, knowing that the ball will swerve off course back to either his own paddle or to the side of the table.

The law of, ''if there is a ball I cannot return, then I should not be able to return it... Tezuka Phantom...'' cannot exist in the real world lol.
I see what you mean. You're saying that it's the principle behind TZ and TP, not the physical properties. If it is like that, then Tezuka Zone is off the table (lol). However with Phantom, I don't think so. Phantom does not require much prediction, it is basically "hit with as much spin as possible and hope it will go out". That is what happened in PoT, Tezuka puts the spin on and hopes it will go out but when Rin was used against Phantom, it didn't go out. So Phantom does not work for "each and every point", the user only hopes it goes out.

What you have implied is that Phantom and Zone only works for every single shot because the user knows where the next ball will be hit. It might be true for TZ but not for TP because there is no need to know where the next shot will be hit because you assume it will go out. If an opponent has a shot that you are worried about, then just prevent him from hitting it or make sure it won't work. Doesn't that apply in real life?

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I've just realise that Moon Volley is actually a volley (I always thought that it was just a name lol).

He could still drag the bat in the floor and hit a non-volley shot...

Veni

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Tezuka zone and phantom? Lol.
Tornado snake not possible, Habu also not possible because it has a random zig-zag bounce which is not possible.

I've just realise that Moon Volley is actually a volley (I always thought that it was just a name lol).

He could still drag the bat in the floor and hit a non-volley shot...
Not only is it a volley, it is a volley lob shot. Lobbing in table tennis doesn't exist, so, moon volley becomes just high top spin shot with a retarded paddle-dragging-on-the-floor preparation.

Jack Knife is possible but useless, same as Viking Horn and Laser..

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Tornado snake not possible, Habu also not possible because it has a random zig-zag bounce which is not possible.

Not only is it a volley, it is a volley lob shot. Lobbing in table tennis doesn't exist, so, moon volley becomes just high top spin shot with a retarded paddle-dragging-on-the-floor preparation.

Jack Knife is possible but useless, same as Viking Horn and Laser..
But as I said before, if the ball is aimed perfectly to the edge, moon volley (without the volley part) would be a great shot.

And I don't know about JK, but laser as a high speed shot would be great. And Viking Horn would be an unexpected shot (like in Kai vs Kikumaru, the only thing that made Viking Horn a good shot was the "I'm delaying my shot to the very last moment" thing).

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I see what you mean. You're saying that it's the principle behind TZ and TP, not the physical properties. If it is like that, then Tezuka Zone is off the table (lol). However with Phantom, I don't think so. Phantom does not require much prediction, it is basically "hit with as much spin as possible and hope it will go out". That is what happened in PoT, Tezuka puts the spin on and hopes it will go out but when Rin was used against Phantom, it didn't go out. So Phantom does not work for "each and every point", the user only hopes it goes out.
And then the only way to work your way to returning it is by hitting a shot that would nullify the effect of TP, like Cord Ball.

Your reasoning is totally possible with Tezuka Phantom, although to actually pull off the shot would be really hard in a proper ping pong rally, it isnt impossible.

Your totally right, I can see Tezuka Phantom making sense. All this talk of Ping Pong... Im gonna play it next week now lol.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Laser..
How is Laser useless?? A fast return where your opponent will have difficulty reaching is a great shot.
T Phantom by Fuji Shusuke's reasoning is starting to make sense lol.

Veni

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
True, Laser isn't useless, I always mix it with Golf Swing from anime.
Viking Horn loses it's element of surprise because court is not that big, you can't generate any threatening spin, and power is lower than a forehand. It's just not usefull, imo. Albeit it is possible to hit :)

If you're gonna go with that explanation for Phantom, the thing is, you can call any shot Phantom then.. Be it a strong smash, a super spin, a direct flat shot directed at great angle, drop shot.. Basically, in both tennis and ping pong (squash and badminton also) with every shot, you're hoping your opponent will not return it, or will return it out of bounds/in the net.

What makes Phantom what it is, is the ridiculous amount of spin Tezuka uses to perform it (6x amount of spin used by Tezuka Zone). If we assume that amount of spin added by TZ is already pretty decent, than 6x that would be impossible to perform IRL..

Trust me. if there was a way to add so much spin on the ball, the Chinese would already start doing it ;)

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
True, Laser isn't useless, I always mix it with Golf Swing from anime.
Viking Horn loses it's element of surprise because court is not that big, you can't generate any threatening spin, and power is lower than a forehand. It's just not usefull, imo. Albeit it is possible to hit :)

If you're gonna go with that explanation for Phantom, the thing is, you can call any shot Phantom then.. Be it a strong smash, a super spin, a direct flat shot directed at great angle, drop shot.. Basically, in both tennis and ping pong (squash and badminton also) with every shot, you're hoping your opponent will not return it, or will return it out of bounds/in the net.

What makes Phantom what it is, is the ridiculous amount of spin Tezuka uses to perform it (6x amount of spin used by Tezuka Zone). If we assume that amount of spin added by TZ is already pretty decent, than 6x that would be impossible to perform IRL..

Trust me. if there was a way to add so much spin on the ball, the Chinese would already start doing it ;)
Its what I meant, Tezuka Phantom isnt really possible to pull off in a standard rally. The way you'll have to throw your arm to get spin on a ball coming at you quickly is kinda impossible.

Also, I just remember, in Tezuka Phantom, the ball heads to where the opponent aimed it, then magically swerves to the left/right out of the court.