1. Want to try an epicly kawaii RPG? Check this out!
  2. It's time for the Autumn Art contest! Submissions for Autumn Video Contest has begun. Create a video that fills our hearts with this year's fall.

The winner of the Chibi Avatar and Signature contest is Organizized! Congratulations!
  3. The Manga League is finally here!
  4. The new season of the Anime League is here!
  5. Join Shiki's quest through space to find new Nakama!
  6. [​IMG]
  7. The MangaHelpers Manga Wars 2018 have begun. Nominate your favorite Manga now!
  8. Want to read legit manga from Mangahelpers?! Get in here!

Discussion Prince of Tennis Community Reread

Discussion in 'New Prince of Tennis' started by Kaoz, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Global Moderator

Germany
    [​IMG]

New Prince of Tennis is on break until November, so this seems like the perfect time to give the original series another go. As such, welcome to the Prince of Tennis Community Reread.

This will work pretty much exactly like our NPoT Reread last time - we are going to read about five chapters each day (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the plot), talk about them for a day and then move on. If everything goes according to plan, we will finish at the end of October; you can find the complete schedule below.

Some rules:
    1. Each new discussion day starts with me posting a brief summary of the chapters we read that day. After that, you may discuss anything concerning the chapters you feel is noteworthy.
    2. While it is fine to talk about chapters of previous days, please do not discuss chapters of future days. If you must, use spoiler tags in case there is anyone who is reading along for the first time.

Day
    Starting Chapter
    Final Chapter
    1​
    1​
    4​
    2​
    5​
    10​
    3​
    11​
    16​
    4​
    17​
    21​
    5​
    22​
    26​
    6​
    27​
    29​
    7​
    30​
    34​
    8​
    35​
    40​
    9​
    (plus Ch. 0)​
    43​
    10​
    44​
    48​
    11​
    49​
    53​
    12​
    54​
    59​
    13​
    60​
    63​
    14​
    64​
    68​
    15​
    69​
    73​
    16​
    74​
    78​
    17​
    79​
    83​
    18​
    84​
    89​
    19​
    90​
    94​
    20​
    95​
    99​
    21​
    100​
    105​
    22​
    106​
    109​
    23​
    110​
    115​
    24​
    116​
    119​
    25​
    120​
    123​
    26​
    124​
    127​
    27​
    128​
    133​
    28​
    134​
    138​
    29​
    139​
    143​
    30​
    144​
    148​
    31​
    149​
    153​
    32​
    154​
    157​
    33​
    158​
    161​
    34​
    162​
    167​
    35​
    168​
    173​
    36​
    174​
    179​
    37​
    180​
    183​
    38​
    184​
    188​
    39​
    189​
    192​
    40​
    193​
    195​
    41​
    196​
    201​
    42​
    202​
    208​
    43​
    209​
    215​
    44​
    216​
    218​
    45​
    219​
    223​
    46​
    224​
    227​
    47​
    228​
    231​
    48​
    232​
    236​
    49​
    237​
    239​
    50​
    240​
    244​
    51​
    245​
    248​
    52​
    249​
    253​
    53​
    254​
    259​
    54​
    260​
    264​
    55​
    265​
    269​
    56​
    270​
    273​
    57​
    274​
    278​
    58​
    279​
    281​
    59​
    282​
    286​
    60​
    287​
    289​
    61​
    290​
    295​
    62​
    296​
    300​
    63​
    301​
    305​
    64​
    306​
    313​
    65​
    314​
    321​
    66​
    322​
    327​
    67​
    328​
    335​
    68​
    336​
    340​
    69​
    341​
    344​
    70​
    345​
    352​
    71​
    353​
    359​
    72​
    360​
    364​
    73​
    365​
    371​
    74​
    372​
    379​

We will start with chapter 1 on August 19th.

The thread will remain locked until then.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    It is time for Day 1 - Chapters 1 to 4. These chapters feature:
    • The first match.
    • The first blood.
    • The first twist.
    • ...and people never getting accurate information.
    Now, keep the rules in mind and discuss away.

Organizized and Carmella like this.
  3. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Joker
    Damn gonna need to use a lot of spoiler tags '-'

Chapter 1

Anything inaccurate here?

Funny, I recalled Sasabe being a bigger jerk. Up until the match started he was just an average dude being ridiculed by a kid. Then it's his friend the one that starts the cheating, and finally Sasabe shows his true colours with the "incident".

Konomi's inability to draw Ryoma's eye under the cap becomes even more disturbing because his shadowing makes it look like his eye was burned off lol.

Sasabe's serve should be quite faster than right handed Ryoma's at this point I think, that serve scene was kinda weird (the site im using has him at 180 kms '-''')

Always found hilarious that chapter 1 has Ryoma shooting a bounceless spin. He did it so effortlessly too.

...which is funny because later Konomi has Yagyuu do the same showing hoe strong Rikkai is, but as a drop shot, overall easier.

Cute detail that you can see some seigaku regulars in the two shot.

How come the Echizens "remain unknown"?

4. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    ^This, for starters. The VIZ version has it as 100 mph, which translates to about 160 kph rather than 180. That's apparently quite a bit faster than what high schoolers pull off in reality, but still way slower than a pro's serve at least.

Beyond that, Konomi stated in an interview that Ryoma winning four consecutive national US junior championships was a mistake. Those were just regular tournaments. Still impressive, but not quite the same.

Yeah, I agree. To be fair, that shot is actually completely useless in a match with an umpire, but for the ball to stay in place, he needed to put a high amount of spin on it already.

What do you mean exactly?

One thing that really stood out to me - and I think it always stands out to me when I reread early PoT - is those multi-frame shot motions. Konomi stopped using those pretty early on I think, but I quite like them.

Organizized likes this.
  5. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Joker
    Chapter 2

Did Momoshiro really say Lucky <3? '-'

Nanji injured? Was this retconned or just denied later?

Proto Horio looks prettier than the end product. He even hit a final hadou!

Chapter 3

Momo introduces us to no man's land positioning '-' I guess it was to face the serve head on, or am I giving Konomi too much credit?

Lucky <3? '-'

Poor Karupin he just wanted to see some butt (weird that Ryoma remembered Sakuno at THAT moment '-''' ).

Ryoma playing with his right hand "because he is nice"... Sure.

Chapter 4

Woo regulars \o/

"I, SECOND YEAR ARAI!!!" ... Why is he sweating his ass off watching the regulars? Lmao

...specially considering Kaidou is also a second year

Eiji looks rather ugly atm '-'

Fuji has his eyes open, he is practicing seriously '-'

Tezuka's introduction is being an angry dad, accurate.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2018, Original Post Date: Aug 19, 2018 ---
    At least this translation has Ryuzaki saying that the Echizens remain unknown because they stay little time in the country, that's how no one recognised Ryoma. But Nanjirou seems to be too much of a legend for that to make sense.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2018 ---
    Not sure what you meant with multi-frame '-'
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2018 ---
    Considering Tanegashima's Mu and the fact that Sanada lost lobbing Ryoma as the latter caught up after the bounce (I think?), I would definetly say it's not useless.

6. Brandish

Brandish aka Brandish

Global Moderator

Australia
    Never read the manga or seen the anime, giving it a go.

Chapter 1: Was okay, like a standard set-up. Got to know enough about a few things here. Thought Sakuno was a sweetie.

Chapter 2-4: Hype increased once Ryoma went to school, the new kid in town. Some fanboys, others tried to challenge him. I like those moments mostly. The intro of the regulars was pretty cool too. I'm curious about the rankings and how all that works, for Ryoma to become a regular, if he can this year. Sumire will probably allow it to happen sooner than usual, but I feel the hierarchy/tradition is pretty strong in the club.

Matchplay - the matches weren't intense yet, but it was easy enough to follow the shots. Looking forward to real competition.

First blood? Blood is a thing??

Organizized, Hardy and Kaoz like this.
  7. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    Sure did. Looking back, I guess this might've actually been what eventually gave us Lucky Sengoku.

Not sure, I don't think it's ever brought up again. Maybe he had a lighter injury - something that didn't directly stop him from playing, but could've gotten worse over time - and combined with wanting to focus on Ryoma, it led to him retiring.

VIZ doesn't have that ("He's just come back with his family to Japan." is all), but Inoue says the same thing (at least about Nanjirou) later on because Shiiba hadn't heard of Nanjirou either. So for the sake of argument, two possible explanations:
    1. Inoue says it's because Nanjirou was only active as a pro for a year and a half. Given that plus the fact that it's been over two decades since then actually makes it more or less believable I think. Imagine if you asked a kid in the late 90s about a player with one good season from the 70s. I'm not sure they would actually know that player off-hand and I guess information wasn't quite as readily available to look up as it is today either. So the idea, it seems to me, is that tennis fans from 25 years ago know Nanjirou quite well, but his success didn't last long enough for him to still be recognizable.
    2. Even if people know Nanjirou, they don't necessarily know Ryoma. It's possible they just happen to share a name after all.

You are correct, Ryoma did catch up to Sanada's lob only after it bounced. However, there are still two problems. First, topspin lobs are faster than slice lobs, meaning that while Ryoma could not catch up to the former before it hit the ground, he might've been able to catch up to the latter. Also, if it's a slice lob it doesn't really go away from the player, making it actually easier to hit back. Now you might say that doesn't matter because the ball would just lie there, but that's where the second problem comes in.

This is more technical but the issue is this: if the ball doesn't bounce, it also means it doesn't bounce twice and the ball bouncing twice is the technical condition for winning a point. Quoting from the ITF rulebook:

Of course, our scenario isn't an issue in reality because all shots bounce at least a little bit, but we can actually find some guidance in other shots that don't bounce. Specifically, it's notable that ZSD/ZSS as well as COOL Drive and Tannhäuser Serve hit the net and back wall respectively after they hit the ground, which counts as the second bounce. In other words, technically Sasabe could've just walked back and scooped the ball back over the net with his racket, although he might lack the technique to do anything worthwhile with it.

As for Tanegashima, his shots do bounce, even if not much.

Well, it's exaggerated, but it's not weird to step into the court when you return a serve, especially if you know what's coming. Your other option would be to wait much farther behind the baseline like you see Nadal do a lot, but if Momoshiro had done that he would've left himself wide open for a Twist to the other side, i.e. one that would've spun away from him. I reckon that especially with his injury he wouldn't have been able to cover an area that big.

This.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2018, Original Post Date: Aug 19, 2018 ---
    It is, but don't let it bother you I guess? Sounds weird, I know, but I'll have more to say about that when we get there.

Brandish and Hardy like this.
  8. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Joker
    Ah I really liked that Ryoma serve, I see what you meant.

I guess it's a spoiler but Sakuno gets way cuter in NPoT once the artist gets better at drawing gals (and well she ages a bit I guess) '-'

Brandish likes this.
  9. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    Day 2 - Chapters 5-10. In these chapters:
    • The battle against the second years continues.
    • New equipment.
    • Reptiles.

Organizized likes this.
  10. Organizized

Organizized Pirate King in the North

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Sweden
    Having not read this series in probably 9 years, and mostly remembering the fantastically ridiculous super moves especially towards the end of the series, here’s what the first six chapters brought back into memory:

Everyone in this series is a jerk. :XD (With a few exceptions).
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 20, 2018, Original Post Date: Aug 20, 2018 ---
    Anyway, fun initiative, I’ll be joining in on this since like I said it’s been a long time since I’ve read this (it was probably one of the first 10-15 manga I ever read) and I only remember parts of it. Thanks for using spoiler tags! :tem

Hardy and Kaoz like this.
  11. Brandish

Brandish aka Brandish

Global Moderator

Australia
    New equipment :lmao I'm with Ryoma about the dirty matches. It was good we moved on from those to more serious ones. Was pleasantly surprised that Sumire didn't really do much to get Ryoma into regular contention, it was the Tezuka's decision to make. Gives the club credibility.

I enjoyed the match with Kaidou. Kaidou's tactic to run Ryoma around, and then lose due to confidence in his true motive and countered the same by Ryoma was pretty neat. It was simple, but enough to fool me both times. Some nice art too.

What does Tezuka mean here by 'I wonder...'?
    [​IMG]
    Is he thinking that Ryoma isn't taking anyone seriously atm, or that Ryoma is the type of guy who would experiment in a tough match?

Speaking of the 'buggy whip', I've never heard of the term, but if it's the one I'm thinking of I can remember Sampras doing it on the run.

So there's 6 in each block, with Kaoru and Sadaharu left. Kaoru has the one loss which I presume was to Sadahara, so I'm tipping the latter and Ryoma will make the regulars. Depending on the blocks each month, this system opens up a lot of regular rotating, outside a core few who are just too good.

Other comments:
    Arai - I feel like he's a good guy who's just a little wayward.
    Momoshiro - Probably the best 2yr player(?). He's a cool guy so far, easy to like.
    Ryoma - He's cocky and dismissive at times, but I kinda get it. Like with his first years who are constantly fanboying. That can be annoying in sports. He's just a kid so I reckon he handles it well. Ryoma also gets points for noticing Sakuno a bit more in these chaps and helping her that one time.

12. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Joker
    Chapter 5

Ryoma, putting your dirty brat ass on someone else's clothes ain't nice you know.

Eiji's face is disturbing me...

...also that he calls tezuka captain all the time. Guess his character (same with Inui and mostly Kaidou too for that matter, he is just there being grumpy) ain't developed yet.

Tezuka never lost? I'm assuming this is just Horio being Horio but I guess Tezuka indeed hadn't lost a single official match by then.

Kaoz, that looks like a long racket :3c

Chapter 6

Fuji has his eyes open a lot of time at the start of the manga, hadn't noticed. Also he is kind of a poet '-'

MULTIFRAME SHOT.

Isn't it kinda rare to drop balls like Arai did? I don't recall ever having problems like that playing tennis lol.

Didn't remember Ryoma playing Ikeda either, small cool detail.

Didn't know Tezuka was the one in charge of setting the group leagues...

This can have some cruel connotations later when he plays Momo '-''' Also, he avoids Fuji, what a pussy '-'

Chapter 7

Kikumaru is starting to look better

Kachirou collects data while mini Oishi has a heart like Oishi's.

Rip Kawamura

Chapter 8

LMAO I reached the famous DONK in this translation. It also has Kaidou as "Kaiba", with his blue eyes white snake.

Konomi made it look like Kaidou could had easily made his snake hit the net, which would had been super strong '-'

"ONLY SOMEONE WITH LONG LIMBS CAN DO THE SNAKE" uhm yeah about that...

Chapter 9

Did Kaidou say "Second person to return the snake"?

Chapter 10

Martina Hingeise...

I didn't recall Ryoma using low shots to drain Kaidou's stamina, maybe the anime has it slightly different? Way better this way, I had thought Ryoma somehow had defeated him in a stamina battle which would had made no sense lol.

Kaoz what does Ryuzaki say at the end of the chapter? Scan has her with empty speech balloons.

13. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    Here's what Konomi had to say about the match:

"Because Kaidou is the first opponent who makes Ryoma serious, when I drew the match scenes between them, I drew while thinking I wanted to show the intensity of tennis by omitting all words."

Personally, I think he did a pretty good job of that in the opening chapter of the match. The rest became more about the tactical battle, but I do like whenever we get a sequence like this where it's just the rally with little or not commentary.

Another issue of wonky translation I reckon. Unfortunately the one online just isn't great for the first 60-70 chapters if memory serves. VIZ's isn't very graceful here either, they put "Technique, huh...? He's got that.", but I think Tezuka basically just observes that Ryoma didn't only see through Kaidou's strategy and used it against him, but also has technical skills in addition to tactics.

Kaidou's one loss was the one to Ryoma just now. As it stands, they each beat two of the other players, and now Ryoma has faced Kaidou, but neither of them has gone up against Inui yet. Here's a quick breakdown of possible scenarios:
    • If Ryoma beats Inui, the second regular from that group will most likely be decided in the direct match between Inui and Kaidou.
    • If Ryoma loses and Inui beats Kaidou, Inui will probably remain undefeated and Ryoma will probably take the second spot since he beat Kaidou.
    • If Ryoma loses and Inui loses to Kaidou, they will each have 3 wins and 1 loss before their respective final match, meaning that if either of them slips up there, it will most likely be the deciding factor.

Brandish likes this.
  14. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Joker
    Brand, I think Tezuka is wondering about Ryoma's true potential. The latter does experiment a lot tho yeah (as he just did with the Snake, he really didn't need to hit it to win nor anything but couldn't help himself).

Kaidou's defeat is the one to Ryoma. Sadaharu Inui hasn't played either yet.

Arai is supposed to be somewhat of a good guy that believes in self justice I guess, like a vigilante cop '-' Prolly wanted to teach Ryoma a lesson but he came up with the least fair way to do it (tbh he likely knew he wasn't good enough to face Echizen).

I theorise Konomi drew himself in Momoshiro, the cool guy easy to get along that shares his name (Takeshi). Won't talk about how good he is compared to Kaidou tho '-'

I find Ryoma's relationship with Sakuno quite nice, but it'd take you a while to see the nicer bits :p And yeah, he gets a lot of slack from the fandom, many hate his guts. I'm personally a bit indifferent to him really, the cast is so massive that it's easy to get other favourites.
    [​IMG]

Brandish and Organizized like this.
  15. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    Well, it can happen if you pocketed too many balls, but it's not common.

Not quite, I think he refers to the shot he hit after the Snake. The idea was that he'd hit the Snake to take the opponent out of the court and then attack the opposite side. In other words, plenty of people have returned the Snake itself, but not the shot Kaidou intended to score with after opening up the court.

I don't believe we ever get to know who the first person was for that matter.

"Ms. Ryuuzaki, phone call for you."
    "Hello, this is Ryuuzaki speaking."
    "Ms. Ryuuzaki, I'm with Pro Tennis Monthly..."

I think it's just an age thing with him. Like, you know how respecting your elders is (/was?) a big deal in Japan, and Ryoma walking over some second years as a first year plus not being very polite overall goes against that. If Ryoma was a third year, Arai probably wouldn't have said or done anything.

Well, Horio only says that Tezuka remained undefeated the previous season. Seigaku lost to Hyoutei, to Rikkai, and to Rokkaku. Tezuka beat OBs against the former two and we don't know for Rokkaku. This is where all the information we have gets a bit screwy though.

As you probably recall, the pair puri history pages state that Seigaku came in fourth in Kanto and then it says for all of them that they didn't participate in the nationals. The problem is that Kanto has, by default (i.e. without factoring in extra spots), five teams. So the fourth place team should participate in the nationals no matter what. The best way to fit this all together might be that the PPs only refer to Tezuka, Kikumaru, Inui, and Fuji specifically not playing in the nationals, but Seigaku as a team did. This is inconsistent with how the Rikkai history pages put it, but you could then theorize that Tezuka's arm got worse after the Rikkai match, so he couldn't play against Rokkaku or in the nationals, or something like that.
    Oh yeah, about Momoshiro's "don"/"donk" thing, he really just says something like "Bam." It's basically a SFX and he uses it as regular speech.

Organizized and Hardy like this.
  16. Hardy

Hardy Registered User

Joker
    Ah, if I got you right the games refer to it as "short snake".

Safe to assume the person that returned it first was Tezuka, or maybe Fuji/Momoshiro.

PRO TENNIS MONTHLY, BEST CHARACTER INCOMING.

Yeah, it's definetly an age thing.

But the most recent fanbook has Arai looking for people misbehaving so I don't think think calling him some sort of "cop" is inaccurate.

Ik what don is '-' just that Donk sounds silly/dumb in comparison.

I think you can easily make a case for Tezuka (injured) Kikumaru and Inui (not regulars?) not being in the team, but Fuji and Oishi should had been part of the Nationals team... unless Oishi was dropped from the first team after his defeat vs the Jimmies and Ryuzaki focused building the Golden Pair for the following year, and maybe Fuji's lack of motivation made him be a reserve?

17. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    I was going to write it was probably Tezuka, but I think it might've actually been Inui. There's some support for the latter in tomorrow's batch.

Kikumaru, Inui and Fuji weren't regulars last year as far as we know. The issue with Oishi is that we don't have a history page for him since he wasn't featured in any of the pair puris. But in my theory, Oishi remained on the team and Seigaku just lost in the first or second round.

Hardy likes this.
  18. Brandish

Brandish aka Brandish

Global Moderator

Australia
    Ah, I thought Kaidou and Kaoru were different people. So there's another player who probably doesn't fixture in regular calculations atm.

I haven't seen Inui play, but I hope the match is serious like Kaidou's one. Idk if Ryoma will lose, just need a close match. Kaidou can be cut from the regulars and work on his strategy, then make the regulars another month. He seemed pretty determined not to give up his spot so yea, now that Kaidou/Kaoru is the same dude, Kaidou beating Inui is a possibility (if this happened I'd prefer the 3 players to have a 3-1 record, so Inui beats Ryoma).

That's good to know, I'll try not to ship-post anymore lol.

Yea, it doesn't bother me, but can't say I expected it.

19. Kaoz

Kaoz Mr. Elite

Global Moderator

Germany
    I mean, you can if you want to. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

That said, it's time for Day 3 - Chapters 11-16.
    • Can Ryoma keep up with Inui?
    • Can a rookie reporter find the tennis courts?
    • What's Momoshiro up to?
    • And just who is that other guy...?!
    Find out some of the answers to those questions in today's batch.

Brandish, Hardy and Organizized like this.
  20. Waterlinkedgirl

Waterlinkedgirl Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

Netherlands
    "Are all middle schoolers this strong?"
    Kind of delighted¿ to see Rikkai being mentioned this early, though it's unintentional at this point it really makes the whole entire entirety of PoT feel round

It's nice how these matches relate physical properties like height, reach and speed into the matter

Ah, yes, Kirahada Akaya from Ritekai, yeah

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.