Discussion - Proven Slayers vs. False Slayers (Official Character Profiles) [UPDATED w/ New Poll] | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Which 3 slayers are your top favorite? (Both True & False included)

• Total voters

Invel > Zeref

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm probably just gonna give all the dragon slayers their title, since each of them played a role in Acnologia's defeat.

I would like to take a moment to congratulate the dragon slayers on earning their new titles. As promised (when I created this thread over a year ago), I will give the dragon slayers their title when they defeat Acnologia, which they did.

They all deserve it.
But why though? The dragon slayers only helped beat Acno's human form. At best, they helped to beat a dragon slayer but not a dragon. Even if human Acno's defeat led to dragon Acno's defeat that seems way to indirect and most of them still never proved that they could slay a dragon

Nemispelled

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
But why though? The dragon slayers only helped beat Acno's human form. At best, they helped to beat a dragon slayer but not a dragon. Even if human Acno's defeat led to dragon Acno's defeat that seems way to indirect and most of them still never proved that they could slay a dragon

Well, I'm assuming that the dragon slayers' magic was effective on Acnologia.

Of course, I don't really have any actual evidence of this since Mashima wrote in a vague way. Based on the fight, I wouldn't say it's far-fetched that dragon slaying magic had some sort of effect on Acnologia, especially since all the dragon slayers gave their elements to Natsu.

Plus, after Alvarez Arc, I no longer believe that dragons are "invincible" beings.

Wendy reverting Irene sealed the deal for me. And I think most of the dragon slayers could probably beat the GMG dragons if they were ever to have a rematch.

x777

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
You really shouldn't. They can't slay a dragon. Otherwise everyone in Fiore would be considered able to slay a dragon.
This is one of the things that bothered me this arc. We have 7 Ds how used ds magic since they were kids and they couldnt defeat single dragon during GMG arc. On the othere side when Irene enchnated dragon magic in people 400 years ago they where somehow able to kill dragons even tho they were nowhere near experienced with ds magic as our dragonslayers.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
This is one of the things that bothered me this arc. We have 7 Ds how used ds magic since they were kids and they couldnt defeat single dragon during GMG arc. On the othere side when Irene enchnated dragon magic in people 400 years ago they where somehow able to kill dragons even tho they were nowhere near experienced with ds magic as our dragonslayers.
Well, given the dragons were still alive, and that they probably had better/strongr magic than the current mages, it'd make sense that the seasoned fighters have done more than the current characters who probably haven't faced constant life-or-death situation against some of the strongest opponents.

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Natsu, Gajeel and Zancrow.

Invel > Zeref

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I'm assuming that the dragon slayers' magic was effective on Acnologia.

Of course, I don't really have any actual evidence of this since Mashima wrote in a vague way. Based on the fight, I wouldn't say it's far-fetched that dragon slaying magic had some sort of effect on Acnologia, especially since all the dragon slayers gave their elements to Natsu.

Plus, after Alvarez Arc, I no longer believe that dragons are "invincible" beings.

Wendy reverting Irene sealed the deal for me. And I think most of the dragon slayers could probably beat the GMG dragons if they were ever to have a rematch.
If dragon slayer magic is effective against dragon slayers in their human form then shouldn't Wendy or Wendy + Erza have been able to one shot Irene in her human form with dragon slayer magic like they did to her dragon form?

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I guess Lucy and everyone else should be in there because she helped take down Acnologia's body and immobilized his spirit. Technically, the 7DS only slayed his soul, which is human, and his body crumbled thereafter.

Also, didn't Erza slice Irene's dragon body and forced her to commit suicide? She should be up there:D

Laboon

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Eileen created the Dragon Slayer magic, learned directly from a dragon.
False? WTF

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what we saw Irene didn't slay any dragons but she participated in the DKF, I would say it's more probable than not she slayed dragons before

Last edited:

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
From what we saw Irene didn't slay any dragons but she participated in the DKF, I would say it's more probable than not she slayed dragons before
But the 7 DS didn't directly slay dragon Acnologia

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Reebi what does that have to do with Irene possibly slaying dragons during the war? Lol

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@Reebi what does that have to do with Irene possibly slaying dragons during the war? Lol
Irene hasn't confirmed to slay dragons but that doesn't mean she isn't a real one. Natsu hasn't (he killed human Acno) but he is a dragon slayer based on the magic he uses. In the FT universe it works.

Real who cares who killed whom.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess Lucy and everyone else should be in there because she helped take down Acnologia's body and immobilized his spirit. Technically, the 7DS only slayed his soul, which is human, and his body crumbled thereafter.

Also, didn't Erza slice Irene's dragon body and forced her to commit suicide? She should be up there:D

Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough.

But the reason why Lucy, Erza, and the rest of FT aren't in this list is because they aren't characterized as dragon slayers to begin with. It has nothing to do whether they are "proven slayers" or "false slayers". They just simply don't meet the requirements to be called a "dragon slayer".

To use an analogy:

It's like saying everybody in Fairy Tail is a demon slayer because they killed members of Tartaros.

Even though Gajeel defeated a demon in Tartaros, it doesn't make him a "demon slayer" because his magic is meant to slay dragons and not demons.

Same with Natsu oneshotting Ikusatsunagi, the War God.

Natsu may have defeated a god, but he isn't considered a "god slayer".

He would still only be classified as a Fire Dragon Slayer.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough.

But the reason why Lucy, Erza, and the rest of FT aren't in this list is because they aren't characterized as dragon slayers to begin with. It has nothing to do whether they are "proven slayers" or "false slayers". They just simply don't meet the requirements to be called a "dragon slayer".

To use an analogy:

It's like saying everybody in Fairy Tail is a demon slayer because they killed members of Tartaros.

Even though Gajeel defeated a demon in Tartaros, it doesn't make him a "demon slayer" because his magic is meant to slay dragons and not demons.

Same with Natsu oneshotting Ikusatsunagi, the War God.

Natsu may have defeated a god, but he isn't considered a "god slayer".

He would still only be classified as a Fire Dragon Slayer.
But Natsu and co didn't slay dragon Acnologia. They would be considered "false", which is misleading because it seems they don't know dragon slayer magic or wasn't trained to do the spells. I mean Irene came up with dragon slaying magic and she is considered false? :s I think a different word should be applied.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eileen created the Dragon Slayer magic, learned directly from a dragon.
False? WTF

Irene did create DS magic and participated in the war between Dragons vs. Humans, but as far as manga pages go, we have no evidence of Irene slaying a dragon.

Irene's past/history isn't good enough because we don't know what she accomplished during that timeframe. This thread was originally made to distinguish between those who actually slayed their respective creatures and those who only claimed to be capable of doing so.

Back in Tartaros, Silver stated himself that he had slayed countless demons over the years.

But I still labeled him as a "False Demon/Devil Slayer" because there isn't a specific panel where I can confirm that he has actually slayed a demon.

In order for me to label them as a "proven slayer", I need an actual manga page or panel that shows it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
But Natsu and co didn't slay dragon Acnologia. They would be considered "false", which is misleading because it seems they don't know dragon slayer magic or wasn't trained to do the spells. I mean Irene came up with dragon slaying magic and she is considered false? :s I think a different word should be applied.

That's true.

But I suspect that the only reason why the dragon slayers were able to slay Human Acnologia in the first place is because their magic was effective on him. Unless, everybody believes that Natsu and the dragon slayers' raw power is enough to defeat Acnologia....

I find it hard to believe that most of the dragon slayers struggled against Spriggans (even in DF, FDK, WSDM forms), yet can kill Acnologia in their base forms.

The only logical explanation for Acnologia's defeat would be that their magic had some sort of effect in taking him down.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
If dragon slayer magic is effective against dragon slayers in their human form then shouldn't Wendy or Wendy + Erza have been able to one shot Irene in her human form with dragon slayer magic like they did to her dragon form?

Maybe, but I don't know if Zeref's magic had something to do with Irene's dragon characteristics when he turned her back into a human.

I don't have any evidence to back-up my claims either, given Mashima's writing in recent chapters, but I happen to believe that dragon slaying magic played a role in Acnologia's defeat.

Unless the dragon slayers defeated Acnologia through raw power... which I find pretty hard to believe.

The writing is inconsistent, I won't deny that, but this is the best way I can interpret the situation.