Discussion - Romance in Shokugeki no Soma | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Romance in Shokugeki no Soma

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
The author, Tsukida Yuuto, already gave us a hint how Soma might be able to improve his cooking in the future.

Considering this quote, a romantic development within the story might not seem impossible.
Besides, Tsukida has already introduced a few female characters who are fixated on Soma while the latter, at least for now, seems unaffected.

Do you think the author will incorporate a romantic development and if so, how important will it be?

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
If the main plot is not about romance, I think the first two chapters are almost and announcement that there will be some romance between Souma and Erina. In the first chapter Jouichiro gave that advice you quote to Souma; and the second chapter introduce Erina being the owner of a God's tongue, and present a tense beginning of their relationship.... It's obvious that the author is thinking on making Erina that woman for whom Souma will want to cook all delicious dishes and that she will be there to taste them. And that will take place in the framework of a romantic relationship.

Also it's a curious topic, since all sites classify the story as romance manga, even if until now we haven't had any romantic development at all. I suppose the classification comes from the impression those two first chapters gave to the readers.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
For me personally, classification made by manga aggregators or 3rd party site couldn't guarantee that Soma deserves to be called as a romance manga. I, for one, do not believe that it's a romance oriented manga as well. In the future, perhaps there will be romantic tone involved, but I doubt it will develop into something more serious than a comedic effect. Most of Shounen manga I read at least go to the same direction. But then again, who knows.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Yes. Erina loving Souma could have the kind of comedy tone of Boa loving Luffy, once all her defences have felt down. It would not be something like a deep and intense romance, but something funny to see. And all for the purpose of cooking which is the main topic of the story.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Yes. Erina loving Souma could have the kind of comedy tone of Boa loving Luffy, once all her defences have felt down. It would not be something like a deep and intense romance, but something funny to see. And all for the purpose of cooking which is the main topic of the story.
Sure take so long... I want Erina to cook against Souma already! But look like Souma will be dealing with the alchemist first.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This page posted by MiyamotoMusashi was a bit misunderstood. I think that what Jouichirou said was just a thought, it wasn't said directly to Souma, in my opinion it was just a desire of Souma's father, if it will be realized is other subject. Every father desires the best to his son.
I agree with Doraku, romance will be just for comedic effect perhaps. I think it will be the same case as Naruto, no doubt that has romance there, but it doesn't have any relevance to the main story.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I also want my son gets a beautiful woman and that he will want to make good food to her....:hee Also that my wife would make better food :-_-

I think Doraku, you and me agree on that there will be some romance and that it will be used as comedic side for the purpose of coking which is the main topic of the manga. Now I think is clear Souma's father was talking to Souma and wanted to give him that secret.

Msrito

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I'ts pretty obvious that some romance will development between SomaxErina as the time goes on. Forget about the first chapter or in the Erina's chapter, just watch how much Soma got into Erina's skin. Some random kid cook acting pretty cocky before her, who is pretty special kid with special treatment, of caurse she like Soma and his food but she doesn't want to open her eyes and see that. In her mind as tongue of god and a Nakiri she must reject him as love interest or cook. (Thats my opinion and sorry for bad English)

Last edited:

NyoiToy

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully soma ends up with a respectable girl with good values instead of rewarding characters that act bratty and disrespectful to others... it just sends the wrong message when someone with a spoiled upbringing continues to get rewarded like they can truly do no wrong.

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think their relationship is entertaining enough without Erina falling for Souma. That is Ikumi's role. Having her falling for him and it being comic relief would just cheapen her character.

Hopefully soma ends up with a respectable girl with good values instead of rewarding characters that act bratty and disrespectful to others... it just sends the wrong message when someone with a spoiled upbringing continues to get rewarded like they can truly do no wrong.
That's great. Let's force our own ideals onto the manga characters, and not let the story play out by itself.

Ikumi is decent pairing based off the karaage arc but she has the air of a side character destined to be heartbroken.

Last edited:

NyoiToy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think their relationship is entertaining enough without Erina falling for Souma. That is Ikumi's role. Having her falling for him and it being comic relief would just cheapen her character.

That's great. Let's force our own ideals onto the manga characters, and not let the story play out by itself.

Ikumi is decent pairing based off the karaage arc but she has the air of a side character destined to be heartbroken.
Yea we sure are "forcing" those ideals... lol... The question is what makes for a good story... and the whole sasuke route has been done time and time again and it's boring. Everyone has their own preferences on what they would like to see... no one is "forcing" anything by sharing their thoughts on what could or should happen in their opinion.

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea we sure are "forcing" those ideals... lol... The question is what makes for a good story... and the whole sasuke route has been done time and time again and it's boring. Everyone has their own preferences on what they would like to see... no one is "forcing" anything by sharing their thoughts on what could or should happen in their opinion.
Then according to your opinion the story has already failed. Mimasaka the chef who stole 100 tools through dirty methods won, and was accepted by Souma to be his "disciple." If anything, the message this manga is trying to send to never give up, learn from your mistakes and success will be waiting.

In Naruto, they kill each other. Here, they're just chefs learning to sharpen their skills. They're both shounen, but shounen is a pretty diverse genre. I'm not seeing the reason for comparison besides they're both in the same magazine. Literature has existed for thousands of years you would be extremely hard pressed to find something 100% original.

"Good values" what exactly are those? At tootsuki, cooking is everything.

Last edited:

NyoiToy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Then according to your opinion the story has already failed. Mimasaka the chef who stole 100 tools through dirty methods won, and was accepted by Souma to be his "disciple." If anything, the message this manga is trying to send to never give up, learn from your mistakes and success will be waiting.

In Naruto, they kill each other. Here, they're just chefs learning to sharpen their skills. They're both shounen, but shounen is a pretty diverse genre. I'm not seeing the reason for comparison besides they're both in the same magazine. Literature has existed for thousands of years you would be extremely hard pressed to find something 100% original.

"Good values" what exactly are those? At tootsuki, cooking is everything.
There's a big difference between characters soma interacts with in relation to cooking and romance...

If finding the right girl to want to cook for is important according to his father, let's make sure it's a girl worth being the right girl... not some spoiled brat with terrible ethics that is gifted progress no matter what.

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's a big difference between characters soma interacts with in relation to cooking and romance...

If finding the right girl to want to cook for is important according to his father, let's make sure it's a girl worth being the right girl... not some spoiled brat with terrible ethics that is gifted progress no matter what.
Things won't be satisfying if it ended like with a "spoiled brat". But characters will change, some readers will cry (a lot), and a few will never get over it.

"Let's make sure" - None of us have any say in this. Especially not overzealous "shippers."

NyoiToy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Things won't be satisfying if it ended like with a "spoiled brat". But characters will change, some readers will cry (a lot), and a few will never get over it.

"Let's make sure" - None of us have any say in this. Especially not overzealous "shippers."
I'd rather soma ended up with a nice girl that changed to great... than a crappy girl that ended up growing to be mediocre.

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd rather soma ended up with a nice girl that changed to great... than a crappy girl that ended up growing to be mediocre.
I really don't know who you're referring to since the cast is so well developed, and you're being so vague so that it could basically mean anyone.

AlexisMeade

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Romance in Shokugeki no Soma is :/ because we see them all the time from the girls' side but not from the guy's side AT ALL except for Akira. Which is really, REALLY weird. But eh, this is fantasy for boys anyway. A lot of girls crushing on them and they're too busy with 'important stuff' to take notice of girls until babymaking time comes and behold, a line of them to choose from!!

For me the requisite of great romance is the mutual feelings. Therefore so far I like Akira-Jun pair and Alice-Kurokiba pair for the hets. Erina-Soma is still OK for me because neither of them has fallen in love yet. For Soma pairing I like the dynamic between Ikumi and him the most (as well as Takumi tbh) but the lack of returned feelings kinda ruin it for me. Takumi-Soma is kinda returned but it's much more heavy on Takumi>Soma rather than the vice versa. For the same sex pair I'm so into Erina-Hisako pair. Their love is beautiful *wipes tear*.

solarwings

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I'm more interested in the romance between Jouichirou and Soma's mother...

BaBYShiBa

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
@solarwings:

OMFGWTFBBQ CHECK THIS OUT:

https://twitter.com/HongtongW/status/629600382440738817

A representative of the Thailand SnS fan club recently tweeted this question to Tsukuda-sensei:

タイ人のファンクラブが喜ばせるためな幸平創真と薙切えりなのラブシーンがありますか?

To which his reply was:

薙切えりなは、やがて幸平創真を意識するはずです。

I'M ON CLOUD NINE. :wtf

StingingNettle

Reaction score
Country
United States
@solarwings:

OMFGWTFBBQ CHECK THIS OUT:

https://twitter.com/HongtongW/status/629600382440738817

A representative of the Thailand SnS fan club recently tweeted this question to Tsukuda-sensei:

タイ人のファンクラブが喜ばせるためな幸平創真と薙切えりなのラブシーンがありますか?

To which his reply was:

薙切えりなは、やがて幸平創真を意識するはずです。

I'M ON CLOUD NINE. :wtf
I can't read Japanese something about some Erina merchandise?