Shounen - Rookies by Morita Masanori | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Rookies by Morita Masanori

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Professor Kawato is the new japanese teacher in the ill-famed Futagotamaga high shool, Kawato has a bad stain on his teaching record. Unknown to his new class of juvenile delinquents, Kawatou resigned from his last teaching role after almost killing one of his former students! Kawato soon takes over as advisor of the baseball club which is made up of thugs and bullies who have been suspended for a year from all school competitions for causing a brawl during an official match. Now that the supension is over, the only club's members left are interested only in women, smoking and doing nothing until, under professor Kawato guidance, they discover a new dream called Koshien. The road to Koshien is far from easy, as they have to get back in shape, to learn how to play baseball and to win everyone else mistrust, including the principal's and other professor's one, with only a few months available. Sweating and fighting, the baseball club will find his determination and strenght, as they proceed towards their dreams, while Kawato's enthusiastic and non-conventional ways slowly change the attitude of everyone near them.

There are 24 volumes in total and it's a complete series, however, only 6 of these have been scanlated which I think is a great shame. The characters are enjoyable and the story so far has been very good I guess you could call it GTO with baseball and some more grit! I only have one criticism (aside from the fact that nobody is Editing it) and that is it seems to me the characters cry too much especially for would be tough guys!

So is anyody else a fan of this series? I'm hoping so.

someone2040

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeah, I'm definately a fan. And GTO with Baseball is exactly how I'd describe it as well! (Although, maybe it simmers down from that and becomes more Baseball later on?).

Anyway, I know that SabiQ, who did some Whistle! scans is interested in doing Rookies, but is busy with School or something so progress is slow.

SabiQ

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
yup =.=....exactly right...the chapter i was supposed to release has the end of the match that they were playing it's actually hardly any script but i still havent got to it and it probably looks like ill try and do it in the end of year holidays XD

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I am glad to see someone was thinking of doing it! I posted in th Manga Editors request section one person has replied they were thinking about doing it but looking for a translator. It's made me chuffed to see that there are people out there who see potential in this series.

Chewy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah... I hope that someone would be able to translate this series, since Jinmen Juushin has disbanded... sadly. Thx for trying SabiQ .

Happy New Year Everyone

SabiQ

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Australia
loool well im in holis now...the onli problem now is i have to get photoshop again since i got a new comp =p

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it seems like there are a few people out there willing to help bring rookies to the english speaking masses! All we need is a translator as we have a good few people willing to typeset and edit...

Also higher resolution raws or french scans would be good... if anyone wants to help then just pm me or post in this thread

SabiQ

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Australia
i got jap raws...i was gonna translate/scanlate it but after my final year in school started i find that i havent really got much time =[ if u want i can send u the raws but =D

p.s. the raws are tank =]

p.s p.s. i did some already but neva actually totally finished the chapter XD...

Last edited:

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey sabiQ whatever you can send would be so awesome!! Thanks for the offer.

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That would be so awesome!! Thanks sabiQ I look forward to it..

SabiQ

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Australia
well here it is (psd's) i told u that i neva finished it, would be really great if someone picked this up. You'll notice that the text is all over the place but yea i use to open up random pages and just translate lool.

http://www.divshare.com/download/3664088-ba0

enjoy =D

no probs =D

Last edited:

DustyFoot

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chapter 55 is out wooop wooop!! Just noticed it in the latest Edited Manga section... Over here

SabiQ

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Australia
how very awesome =D im glad that someone picked it up cause now i get to read haha

Dorothy

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I love Rookies!<3
It's one of my favourite manga, Kawato-sensei is absolutely adorable and his students (Aniya, Shinjou, Touko, Imaoka and the others) are very strong and funny!!! ^___^

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Rookies is the shit. Much love to the Legendary 5th Rookies Group for pumping out chapters like gangbusters!

I just wish someone would pick up Rokudenashi Blues, by Masanori Morita.
It's long, but it's hot.

Houjou

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia
Seems like Deadbet are back to it, I'm glad it's grabbing people's attention again; Rookies is awesome :)

P.S: I didn't like Rokudenashi Blues as much as Rookies. Apart from the story-telling, the artwork has really improved from R. Blues to Rookies.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
The later volumes of RokuBlues are flippin' awesome, though. It just takes 10-20 volumes to get to the really good art.

I follow L5RG's releases, myself. They're usually ahead, and I like their typesetting/translation much better. (not that this is a contest, jus' sayin')

Houjou

Reaction score
Country
Mongolia
I admit I read whichever is out before...

About Rokudenashi, I've only read a few early volumes, guess I'll keep reading if any group retakes the project.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Well, v11 is out now in its entirity. Long live L5RG! :D