[Round 1 - Team 11 vs Team 12 Singles 2] Oshitari K. vs Akutagawa | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

[Round 1 - Team 11 vs Team 12 Singles 2] Oshitari K. vs Akutagawa

Who will win?

• Oshitari Kenya

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Akutagawa Jirou

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Care to explain how it is perfect against Fuji? Shiraishi ability is to use his basic ability to defeat his opponent fair and square. And yet, Kenya get 3 points out of 10 off him. Fuji get at least 4*5=20. 0/20. Well, that seems equal. Jirou have trouble beating regional Fuji getting a point off Fuji even when Fuji doesn't train pre-national. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

Fuji actually take 1 point off Jirou without using Hagukei in Jirou's serve game. He then proceed to use Hagukei. That does not means Fuji can't beat Jirou without using Hakugei.

Even if he CAN beat Jirou by only using Hagukei. Shiraishi shut down that move like it's nothing. Kenya takes point off that Shiraishi which Regional Fuji+national training+4th counter cannot do.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Care to explain how it is perfect against Fuji? Shiraishi ability is to use his basic ability to defeat his opponent fair and square. And yet, Kenya get 3 points out of 10 off him. Fuji get at least 4*5=20. 0/20. Well, that seems equal. Jirou have trouble beating regional Fuji getting a point off Fuji even when Fuji doesn't train pre-national. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

Fuji actually take 1 point off Jirou without using Hagukei in Jirou's serve game. He then proceed to use Hagukei. That does not means Fuji can't beat Jirou without using Hakugei.

Even if he CAN beat Jirou by only using Hagukei. Shiraishi shut down that move like it's nothing. Kenya takes point off that Shiraishi which Regional Fuji+national training+4th counter cannot do.
"Read every single comment in this post, if you think there's something you can add, reply."

"Anyhow, as almost anyone has already voted, it's pointless to discuss. I'll let him lose :/"

You are not a very good reader aren't you? I don't care about this match anymore. We could keep discussing forever, I just don't want to.

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I favor jirou and like him more, but i dont know or think his personality is to improve himself much, have to wait for new manga chapters to see if he plays.
i dont know much about kenya, but he did go through that losers training and he is fast. I think he played in the OVA
where seigaku visited shintenhouji's school. forgot what he did. people tend to favor whom they like and know more,
but i have to agree kenya wins, but by what margin and score I couldnt say.

Tsukihime no uta

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As far as comparing how kenya got points on shiraishi and fuji ALMOST got completely bageled, Kenya has been playing with Shiraishi alot longer than fuji had, which obviously makes a difference. If you know what to expect out of someone, you will adjust your play accordingly.

Also, in the Fuji shiraishi match, once Fuji actually got serious and played like he meant it, he won at least one game without using ANY new counters. He then proceeded to win another game with just the evolved counters. Then he busted out the 5th counter and almost made a complete comeback bagel on shiraishi, as it seemed shiraishi did not score any points until he saved match point defeating fuji's 5th counter.

Another very small case against kenya is how he got completely slammed by Jasboru in the OVA match, which was referenced in the manga as well. And from what we saw in the doubles match, jasboru did not really have any stand out qualities, so if he bageled Kenya in a year where Yanagi says he was always slacking off and skipping practice, I don't really see kenya as that high of a player.

Overall, I think he is much better rounded player, and his speed would win him the match against jirou. I give it a 6-4 just because jirou was able to beat Kabaji, and play decent with marui, a Rikkai Dai member.

Fayte

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kenya is probably one of the most overhyped characters, so I'm going to go at it with the angle of Kenya and Jiro being on the same tier level. Kenya has speed. And....that's pretty much it.. Everything else he does is mediocre. Jiro is a great volley, and he beat Kabaji. Kenya most likely would not be able to beat Kabaji with speed alone. We have seen time and time again that it takes more than speed to win a tennis match *cough Richard cough*

Jiro wins 7-5

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Thing is, Kenya isn't just a counter-puncher like Fuji (a guy that just retrieves, waits for the error), he's an aggressive counter-puncher (a guy that takes risks eventually, which is kinda stupid, because he doesn't have any strong shots. A defensive counter-puncher style would fit him a lot more).

Anyhow, as almost anyone has already voted, it's pointless to discuss. I'll let him lose :/

Nah, Pair Puri says he is in fact a Counter Puncher, this thread is the first time I have seen Offensive Counter Puncher.

Also, Fuji didn't need Hakugei just to seal Jirou. He used Hakugei coz he wanted to take the game more seriously.
Look here. He is sealing Jirou from using Magic Volley from Jirou's own service game in an instant with ease.

http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-16/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.htm
Yeah he came back with a better approach, but Hakugei can't be needed. Fuji came out with the intent to annihilate that's all.

Bottom line, you don't need a special shot just to prevent Jirou from hitting Magic Volley.
You don't even need a special shot to seal Marui's Volleys, and Marui > Jirou. So how on earth would you need Hakugei just for Jirou, who hasn't even improved since Regionals.

Regionals!Fuji handled it with ease.
Here is Nationals!Kenya mocking Regionals!Fuji
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27213-8/prince-of-tennis/chapter-316.html

It isnt about if everybody voted, its whether somebody can disprove the other.
Magic Volley can be stopped easily Regionals!Fuji showed us.

So in the long run, a solid Counter Puncher should win.

I underestimated Jirou heavily here. 6-4 Kenya to win, or 7-5 Kenya to win.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Kenya is probably one of the most overhyped characters, so I'm going to go at it with the angle of Kenya and Jiro being on the same tier level. Kenya has speed. And....that's pretty much it.. Everything else he does is mediocre. Jiro is a great volley, and he beat Kabaji. Kenya most likely would not be able to beat Kabaji with speed alone. We have seen time and time again that it takes more than speed to win a tennis match *cough Richard cough*

Jiro wins 7-5
Beating Kabaji doesn't prove a thing. Kabaji will probably beat Shiraishi due to having more stamina.
Kabaji will probably beat a lot of players. His power is very specific.

Kabaji will probably lose to Mukahi since he likely cannot use Acrobatic Play as efficiently as Mukahi. And Kabaji is a simpleton who is like... programmed and can't help but copy his opponent.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Also, Fuji didn't need Hakugei just to seal Jirou. He used Hakugei coz he wanted to take the game more seriously.
Look here. He is sealing Jirou from using Magic Volley from Jirou's own service game in an instant with ease.

http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-16/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.htm
There's a problem with that url, I can't see it u.u

Nevermind, I found that page...I'm mindfucked lol

Edit: now I have this http://i22.mangareader.net/prince-of-tennis/142/prince-of-tennis-644331.jpg

So yeah, Fuji needed Hakugei.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
There's a problem with that url, I can't see it u.u

Nevermind, I found that page...I'm mindfucked lol
To be honest, Since Jirou is a forgotten bro, its gonna be hard to argue for him.
This will be the same for Sengoku and Davide too.

We haven't seen them in action since Regionals lol.
Going by what we have seen, Kenya should eventually be able to overcome Magic Volley after a long game. 7-5 or 6-4 to Kenya.
But it definetely won't be an ass-kicking like others have said. They are in the same league since Kenya really has been portrayed as a guy with nothing but Speed.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
To be honest, Since Jirou is a forgotten bro, its gonna be hard to argue for him.
This will be the same for Sengoku and Davide too.
I was thinking about that yesterday... like "how in hell am I going to defend Sengoku?, he's like a Momo, but less powerful and without JK" and I had no answer...

So I hope he isn't in this tournament at all lol

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
He probably needed a lob and not specifically Hakugei. Kenya can probably hit lobs when the game reaches like 4-4 or 5-5.
Jirou is 160 cm tall... even though Kenya isn't the most accurate person (at least that's what is shown in the Ovas), and he probably will be very tired by the end of the match, he doesn't need a Moon Volley to win against Jirou.

Again, I'll let him lose lol.

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States
You people all lost faith in the forgotten bro, what's wrong with you all. Atobe had confidence in putting him in the Singles 2 spot in their match against Seigaku. Jiro is one of the best players on Hyotei. Kenya is not one of the best players on Shitenhouji. If Konomi had a matchup between Hyotei and Shitenhouji and Kenya/Jiro got paired up in singles, I really think Jiro would take it. It's kind of like Bunta playing singles against Kenya. I am 100% positive that Bunta would win against Kenya. Jiroh is a bit worse than Bunta but still good enough to win. I really don't think Kenya has anything against Jiro.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
You people all lost faith in the forgotten bro, what's wrong with you all. Atobe had confidence in putting him in the Singles 2 spot in their match against Seigaku. Jiro is one of the best players on Hyotei. Kenya is not one of the best players on Shitenhouji. If Konomi had a matchup between Hyotei and Shitenhouji and Kenya/Jiro got paired up in singles, I really think Jiro would take it. It's kind of like Bunta playing singles against Kenya. I am 100% positive that Bunta would win against Kenya. Jiroh is a bit worse than Bunta but still good enough to win. I really don't think Kenya has anything against Jiro.
Me neither, I really think that Jirou is capable of winning against Kenya (I defended the guy in the last 2 pages). But, since Jirou hasn't shown any improvement since Kanto (lazy Konomi) and Kenya is a Counter Puncher, Naniwa's speed star probably wins this.

Jirou is Hyotei's 3rd best player, and Kenya is the 5th or 6th (or something like that) in Shitenhouji... But that doesn't mean anything, Shitenhouji is better than Hyotei lol.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
You people all lost faith in the forgotten bro, what's wrong with you all. Atobe had confidence in putting him in the Singles 2 spot in their match against Seigaku.
That was because they all fatally underestimated Fuji. If he knew Fuji's true abilities he still would have been in a difficult situation since besides Atobe nobody from Hyotei can defeat Fuji.
Also, it's irrelevant since that was back at the Regionals. At Nationals, where Kenya is introduced, you really think Jirou would be in Singles 2 against Fuji?? God no.

Jiro is one of the best players on Hyotei. Kenya is not one of the best players on Shitenhouji. If Konomi had a matchup between Hyotei and Shitenhouji and Kenya/Jiro got paired up in singles, I really think Jiro would take it. It's kind of like Bunta playing singles against Kenya. I am 100% positive that Bunta would win against Kenya. Jiroh is a bit worse than Bunta but still good enough to win. I really don't think Kenya has anything against Jiro.
Being 3rd Best in Hyotei means nothing lol.
Kabaji can't be tiered, then we have Hiyoshi, Shishido, Ootori and Mukahi lol.

Whilst Shitenhouji have Tooyama, Shiraishi, Chitose, Gin, then Kenya or Zaizen. I mean, Shitenhouji is a far stronger side than Hyoutei.
Whilst its true Marui > Kenya, Marui is a lot better than Jirou. He is somebody who returned Jack Knife and completely bossed a match against Kaidoh/Momoshiro.
Marui has a variety of volleys and just the fact Rikkai allowed him to play Singles as shown in the Databook let's you know he is a lot better than Jirou.

Jiro has a lot against him. His volleys can be sealed with lobs. He doesnt have Temporal Difference Hell or anything like that.
What's worse, he's up against the fastest in the series who just so happens to be a Counterpuncher.

Kenya has a lot against Jirou. Kenya can get to the net MUCH faster than Jirou, which means eventually he should be able to catch Magic Volley before it touches the ground.

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was because they all fatally underestimated Fuji. If he knew Fuji's true abilities he still would have been in a difficult situation since besides Atobe nobody from Hyotei can defeat Fuji.
Also, it's irrelevant since that was back at the Regionals.
It is relevant because that was the only time we see Jiro play a full match.

Jiro has a lot against him. His volleys can be sealed with lobs.
This is a bad argument because it can be said against anybody. Just because hypothetically a volley can lose against a lob does not mean it will happen.

What's worse, he's up against the fastest in the series who just so happens to be a Counterpuncher.
What does this even mean? I don't see why this has any part in why Kenya would win.

Kenya has a lot against Jirou. Kenya can get to the net MUCH faster than Jirou, which means eventually he should be able to catch Magic Volley before it touches the ground.
This doesn't mean Kenya can return it, nor does it mean he will reach the ball in time. It is merely a "possibility." If you went only by this logic, that means Bunta wouldn't be able to win a game on Kenya because he would simply return every volley. We know Kenya can't return all volleys simply by the matches he has already played.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
What does this even mean? I don't see why this has any part in why Kenya would win.
Jirou's serve was handled really easily. It wasn't that impressive.
I'll break it down for you Eiji Kikumaru.

Fuji showed us all you gotta do to keep your serve against Jirou is keep him at the baseline:
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-10/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.html

Which is a standard skill for any Counterpuncher. Since their style is based on consistency.

Akutagawa fights back however, with his ability to reach the net thanks to how he serves.
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-15/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.html
And he can go even better than that with this:

http://www.mangareader.net/422-27039-8/prince-of-tennis/chapter-142.html

So it is impossible for Kenya to give Akutagawa a 6-1 or 6-2.
Since Kenya is without a Special shot, and its not like he is known for having great technique.

They are in the same league. Kenya 6-3 win.

This is because Akutagawa has a play style that is weak against Counterpunchers as they hit they try same type of shot constantly and wait to counter, instead of going out with the aim to attack.
It would be great if everyone read every single previous comment in the next match...

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Oshitari Kenya: 4 votes
Akutagawa Jirou: 6 votes

Winner: Akutagawa Jirou

Status
Not open for further replies.