[Round 1 - Team 11 vs Team 12 Singles 2] Oshitari K. vs Akutagawa | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

[Round 1 - Team 11 vs Team 12 Singles 2] Oshitari K. vs Akutagawa

Who will win?

• Oshitari Kenya

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Akutagawa Jirou

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Singles 2Oshitari KenyaAkutagawa Jirou
TitleNaniwa's Speed Star -
SchoolShitenhouji 3rd YearHyoutei Gakuen 3rd Year
Height177 cm160 cm
Weight63 kg49 kg
Dominant HandRightRight
PlaystyleOffensive Counter PuncherServe and Volley
TechniquesSpeed TennisMagic Volley

Akutagawa serves first.

This round ends on Saturday, September 15th 8 PM GMT.

Cast your vote and discuss (logically) why you voted for who you voted for. Have fun, but keep it clean!

Last edited:

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Another close match.
Kenya is so fast that he might reach Akutagawa volleys (even though they barely bounce) but I really don't see him reaching every single ball, he would probably feel really tired by the end of the match. Akutagawa starts serving, and is capable of defending every single of his serving games (thanks to his top spin serve) so I'm gonna say that my boy Jirou, the forgotten bro, wins this half asleep 7-6 6-4.

Last edited:

LetalHawk

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think Jirou's volleys might be a problem, but Regionals Fuji defeated him. Regionals Fuji would get destroyed by Nationals Shiraishi. Kenya took 3 points out of him, while Jirou for sure won't be able to do that.

Kenya is really fast and probably would catch up comfortably Jirou's volleys, and probably has more power than him. Jirou doesn't have anything appart from his volleys, so I don't think he'll put up much of a fight.

Kenya wins this 6-2 or 6-3.

Last edited:

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I think Kenya wins. Jirou got beat by Fuji 6-1. That's harsh. Shiraishi then proceed to beat that Fuji almost 6-0 without an upgrade (And It would be that way if Fuji doesn't get his 5th counter). Kenya got 3 point out of 10 off Shiraishi. I think it's really clear Kenya's stronger. Fuji can't get point off Shiraishi. Kenya can. It look like 6-1 or even 6-0 to Kenya for me. It's rather unfortunate we don't see another match from Jirou, as he probably would have improve,

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I think Kenya wins. Jirou got beat by Fuji 6-1. That's harsh. Shiraishi then proceed to beat that Fuji almost 6-0 without an upgrade (And It would be that way if Fuji doesn't get his 5th counter). Kenya got 3 point out of 10 off Shiraishi. I think it's really clear Kenya's stronger. Fuji can't get point off Shiraishi. Kenya can. It look like 6-1 or even 6-0 to Kenya for me. It's rather unfortunate we don't see another match from Jirou, as he probably would have improve,
This is a good point. Regionals!Fuji > Jirou as far as we're concerned. and Regionals!Fuji as you said cannot take a point off of Shriaishi while Kenya took 3.
Also, Kenya is the upgrade to Kamio. He was depicted as a better Kamio like Gin is a better Tetsu.

Can't confirm who is the better player here. But I believe its Kenya. If Fuji was quick enough to catch volleys, then Kenya has to be.

Oshitari Kenya wins
7-5, 6-3

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
While Kenya may not have shown that much in the 18/19 match, don't forget about his teleportation level speed in the introduction of the BJB to the U-17 Camp. Jirou has not had ANY improvement in the series and Kenya's definitely fast enough to get to the balls.

Kenya wins 6-0 or 6-1. If you want two sets, probably 6-0 6-1 or 6-1 6-1.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
While Kenya may not have shown that much in the 18/19 match, don't forget about his teleportation level speed in the introduction of the BJB to the U-17 Camp. Jirou has not had ANY improvement in the series and Kenya's definitely fast enough to get to the balls.

Kenya wins 6-0 or 6-1. If you want two sets, probably 6-0 6-1 or 6-1 6-1.
I wouldn't got that far. Against Hara/Taira he was about as much use as Momoshiro's first racket, which got destroyed by Taira's Bakyuun.
All he has improved on is Speed and Balance. Nothing else lol.

I'm not sure it would be an ass-kicking by Kenya.

But your right, despite the pages where Konomi has the MSers randomly insist that everybody has improved everyday and other difficult to believe things, Jirou hasn't improved at since Regionals.
So yeah, Akutagawa shouldn't have any chance of winning.

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I wouldn't got that far. Against Hara/Taira he was about as much use as Momoshiro's first racket, which got destroyed by Taira's Bakyuun.
All he has improved on is Speed and Balance. Nothing else lol.
It won't be an ass-kicking.
Jirou is not that quick, however. You could hit to the side and Jirou would have to dive back, limiting the effectiveness. Plus, it's not as if Jirou should even be able to get to all the balls hit to the side.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Jirou is not that quick, however. You could hit to the side and Jirou would have to dive back, limiting the effectiveness. Plus, it's not as if Jirou should even be able to get to all the balls hit to the side.
I wouldn't say the guy is slow either. ''He's already there!''
Indicating he's kinda quick.
He could cope/survive against Kenya who has been unimpressive in SPoT, despite being what we could call our ''first JESUS'' of the series since he ran on water. That was damn impressive.

I have a feeling Kenya is Intense Speed and nothing else. So yeah Kenya will win, but it will be a good match.
I don't think Kenya is out of Jirou's league.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
So you are saying that SPOT Kenya would be a match for Regionals Fuji? No way, he's Fuji! And remember that Jirou vs Fuji was a special match, Fuji was determined to beat the crap out of Akutagawa (because he did that to Yuuta)

Jirou has his top spin serve, that would give him enough time to reach the net and defend his service games. And his volleys barely bounce (retrieveing so many low shots is a hell of a problem for your back and knees, poor Kenya). Oshitari has to be running the whole match. Yeah, he may be like Usain Bolt, but he's no marathoner, he'll be tired enough in the tie break to lose.

I have a feeling Kenya is Intense Speed and nothing else.

Last edited:

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
So you are saying that SPOT Kenya would be a match for Regionals Fuji? No way, he's Fuji! And remember that Jirou vs Fuji was a special match, Fuji was determined to beat the crap out of Akutagawa (because he did that to Yuuta)
So? That doesn't mean anything. Regional Fuji is crap. He got beat by Shiraishit 5-0, and would end in 6-0 without his new counter. Kenya takes off some point off Shiraishi. It's National Fuji that's high tier player, not the regional one. The regional Fuji fought evenly with Kirihara, who national version got completely destroy by Yanagi. That's kind of crappy.

It's just different tier. Kenya is out of Jirou's league. Fuji>>>>>Jirou and Shiraishi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Regional Fuji. I don't see ANY upgrade for Jirou ever since his match with Fuji. I'm obviously not giving him any credit that he doesn't deserve just because he's a likable character.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
So? That doesn't mean anything. Regional Fuji is crap. He got beat by Shiraishit 5-0, and would end in 6-0 without his new counter. Kenya takes off some point off Shiraishi. It's National Fuji that's high tier player, not the regional one. The regional Fuji fought evenly with Kirihara, who national version got completely destroy by Yanagi. That's kind of crappy.

It's just different tier. Kenya is out of Jirou's league. Fuji>>>>>Jirou and Shiraishi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Regional Fuji. I don't see ANY upgrade for Jirou ever since his match with Fuji. I'm obviously not giving him any credit that he doesn't deserve just because he's a likable character.
Kenya took 3 points playing against Shiraishi. So what? Just because Kenya took 3 freaking points against Shiraishi doesn't make him automatically better.

You are comparing too many matches. Reg Angry Fuji won easily against Jirou. Reg Fuji won by a little against MUGA KIRIHARA. Shiraishi was beating Reg Fuji JUST BECAUSE OF HIS PLAYING STYLE, which was completely effective against Reg Fuji. All these matches are completely different, in different situations.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Kenya took 3 points playing against Shiraishi. So what? Just because Kenya took 3 freaking points against Shiraishi doesn't make him automatically better.

You are comparing too many matches. Reg Angry Fuji won easily against Jirou. Reg Fuji won by a little against MUGA KIRIHARA. Shiraishi was beating Reg Fuji JUST BECAUSE OF HIS PLAYING STYLE, which was completely effective against Reg Fuji. All these matches are completely different, in different situations.

Yeah, but what can Jirpu do appart from doing volleys? Also, Kenya completely overwhelms Jirou in speed, balance, and probably power. Jirou's magic volley isn't that hard to return, Kenya would return it with his speed. Jirou's a forgotten bro. Kenya wins completely the match.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Yeah, but what can Jirpu do appart from doing volleys? Also, Kenya completely overwhelms Jirou in speed, balance, and probably power. Jirou's magic volley isn't that hard to return, Kenya would return it with his speed. Jirou's a forgotten bro. Kenya wins completely the match.
As far as we know, he is only faster.

Jirou's volleys ARE hard to return. Fuji had to use Hakugei to prevent Jirou from using his volleys.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
This we don't know as of yet.
We know that good technique can stop him from using it, but not if its easy to return. It's actually near impossible to return.
Kenya winning, I believe is what will happen though.

Still, although Kenya is now God's Speed with Perfect balance, it makes him an amazing 100m athlete like Eiji Kikumaru has referred him to Usain Bolt. It doesn't necessarily make him too much of a better tennis player.

Kenya should win, only because he is good enough to lose 7-3 to Shiraishi.

Jirou serve lets him get to the net real quick. The issue is does Kenya have the necessary technique to seal away his Volleying ability.
This we do not know.
I say Oshitari Kenya 6-3 win.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
This we don't know as of yet.
We know that good technique can stop him from using it, but not if its easy to return. It's actually near impossible to return.
Kenya winning, I believe is what will happen though.

Still, although Kenya is now God's Speed with Perfect balance, it makes him an amazing 100m athlete like Eiji Kikumaru has referred him to Usain Bolt. It doesn't necessarily make him too much of a better tennis player.

Kenya should win, only because he is good enough to lose 7-3 to Shiraishi.

Jirou serve lets him get to the net real quick. The issue is does Kenya have the necessary technique to seal away his Volleying ability.
This we do not know.
I say Oshitari Kenya 6-3 win.
Lol, you are saying "this guy is right, but Kenya still wins because he won 3 points against Shiraishi". We don't know if Jirou is good enough to take 3 points from Shiraishi, but he probably is. The 5 of you are focusing too much on those 3 points. This is Jirou vs Kenya not Kenya vs Shiraishi and Jirou vs Fuji. I made up a scenario in which Jirou wins this match, can't you do the same?
Kenya can't do Hakugei, that's for sure.

Edit: those 3 points are probably Konomi randomly saying "I'll make Shiraishi win, but I don't want a total beatdown... Yeah, 7-3 is fine."

Edit 2: Now I'll discuss he same way you do. Jirou won without a problem against Kabaji, and Kabaji almost won against Nationals Tezuka... Do you see Kenya doing that?

I know it sounds like a stupid comparission, and that's exactly how the 3 points thing sounds to me.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Jirou's serve was handled really easily. It wasn't that impressive.
I'll break it down for you Eiji Kikumaru.

Fuji showed us all you gotta do to keep your serve against Jirou is keep him at the baseline:
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-10/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.html

Which is a standard skill for any Counterpuncher. Since their style is based on consistency.

Akutagawa fights back however, with his ability to reach the net thanks to how he serves.
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-15/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.html
And he can go even better than that with this:

http://www.mangareader.net/422-27039-8/prince-of-tennis/chapter-142.html

So it is impossible for Kenya to give Akutagawa a 6-1 or 6-2.
Since Kenya is without a Special shot, and its not like he is known for having great technique.

They are in the same league. Kenya 6-3 win.

This is because Akutagawa has a play style that is weak against Counterpunchers as they hit they try same type of shot constantly and wait to counter, instead of going out with the aim to attack.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Jirou's serve was handled really easily. It wasn't that impressive.
I'll break it down for you Eiji Kikumaru.
It's not a hard to return serve, it's a slow serve that gives him enough time to reach the net, and then attack. Fuji countered that with Hakugei.

Fuji showed us all you gotta do to keep your serve against Jirou is keep him at the baseline:
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-10/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.html

Which is a standard skill for any Counterpuncher. Since their style is based on consistency.
That's when Jirou is not serving. I made it pretty clear that I didn't expect to see him winning any of the first games (when he's not serving).

Akutagawa fights back however, with his ability to reach the net thanks to how he serves.
http://www.mangareader.net/422-27038-15/prince-of-tennis/chapter-141.html
And he can go even better than that with this:

http://www.mangareader.net/422-27039-8/prince-of-tennis/chapter-142.html
That's what I've been saying lol.

So it is impossible for Kenya to give Akutagawa a 6-1 or 6-2.
Since Kenya is without a Special shot, and its not like he is known for having great technique.

They are in the same league. Kenya 6-3 win.

This is because Akutagawa has a play style that is weak against Counterpunchers as they hit they try same type of shot constantly and wait to counter, instead of going out with the aim to attack.
Thing is, Kenya isn't just a counter-puncher like Fuji (a guy that just retrieves, waits for the error), he's an aggressive counter-puncher (a guy that takes risks eventually, which is kinda stupid, because he doesn't have any strong shots. A defensive counter-puncher style would fit him a lot more).

Anyhow, as almost anyone has already voted, it's pointless to discuss. I'll let him lose :/

Last edited:

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand

I think Shiraishi would have beat Jirou 6-0 also, not just Fuji. And way harder. I'm comparing 2 match, which shows my point to show the tier of the characters. Fuji was only rallying a normal shot to keep Jirou a bay. He just use Hakugei because he want to show it to Ryoma. It doesn't mean he have to. Sanada doesn't need to use Rai against that poor HS, but he did.

Kenya taking 3 points off Shiraishi while one person FAIL to take any point off does make him better to me. It seem you and I have different metrics to decide this kind of thing, though.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I think Shiraishi would have beat Jirou 6-0 also, not just Fuji. And way harder. I'm comparing 2 match, which shows my point to show the tier of the characters. Fuji was only rallying a normal shot to keep Jirou a bay. He just use Hakugei because he want to show it to Ryoma. It doesn't mean he have to. Sanada doesn't need to use Rai against that poor HS, but he did.

Kenya taking 3 points off Shiraishi while one person FAIL to take any point off does make him better to me. It seem you and I have different metrics to decide this kind of thing, though.
He had to use Hakugei to win Jirou's serves games. We have already discuss this in previous posts.

" Shiraishi was beating Reg Fuji JUST BECAUSE OF HIS PLAYING STYLE, which was completely effective against Reg Fuji"
BTW, Shiraishi would beat Kenya 6-0, easily.

Read every single comment in this post, if you think there's something you can add, reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.