[Round 2 - Team 3 vs Team 5 Singles 1] Sanada vs Irie | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

[Round 2 - Team 3 vs Team 5 Singles 1] Sanada vs Irie

Who will win?

• Sanada Gen'ichirou

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Irie Kanata

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Singles 1Sanada Gen'ichirouIrie Kanata
TitleEmperorPierrot
SchoolRikkai Dai Fuzoku 3rd YearHigh School 3rd Year
Height180 cm178 cm
Weight68 kg66 kg
Dominant HandRightLeft
PlaystyleAll RounderAll Rounder
TechniquesFuuRinKaInZanRai
Black Aura
-

Serve order: Sanada -> Irie

This round ends on Wednesday, October 3rd 8 PM GMT.

Cast your vote and discuss (logically) why you voted for who you voted for. Have fun, but keep it clean!

Phantron

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Because the exact power of Black Aura is unknown, Irie wins this rather comfortably until we know what the Black Aura does. Sanada can't even deal with World of Ice as per manga canon, even though it seems like Rai ought to be able to deal with it (just start out by the back wall, at that point your blind spot would be outside of the court, so you'd have to hit it in a non-blind spot and Rai's teleportation property means the distance involved is no concern). If Black Aura can break out of yips it seems like it ought to work for World of Ice, but there just isn't any information on Black Aura at this point to say that.

If you throw out World of Ice and Black Aura, it seems to be implied that although Irie has a low stamina rating, he apparently outlasted the stamina 5 Atobe in a triple digit tiebreaker so I guess his insane speed/technique/mental somehow can be translated into stamina, which means he ought to be a better all-arounder than Sanada given his ability to outlast Atobe fairly comfortably in an all-around game.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Sanada. His loss against Yukimura and training in the mountains, I'm looking foward to the beast player he is right now. BA is really strong altough we don't know what it is, that completely overwhelmed Yukimura in that point means it could destroy Irie. Irie, won't return Rai normally until he at least does what Yukimura used to return it, with the "grip" of his racket. Furthermore, if Sanada activates it, and uses stronger shots and versions of FuuRinKaInZanRai, I'm sorry but Sanada would completely overwhelm Irie.

I don't think troll mode Irie would win, Sanada would own him. Serious mode would be dangerous, but I see Sanada overcoming it with BA and winning. Is likely that Sanada will face Shuuji in G10 matches, and he needs a win since his last match. Sanad's true strength is too much, right now, Atobe, Tooyama, Akutsu, Shiraishi... Except Yukimura, who I think is no longer above Sanada, and Echizen who for sure is, no one can touch him. I see him defeating Irie with BA, Sanada is not like Atobe, he is LEVELS above him, he would completely destroy No.20 to No.6. The top 5 are different but I see Sanada defeating most of them, if not, Oni, Ryoga, Duke and Shuuji. Sanada right now is really really strong, probably the 2nd strongest Ms after Echizen and one that will be at top 3 of the G10.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sanada. His loss against Yukimura and training in the mountains, I'm looking foward to the beast player he is right now. BA is really strong altough we don't know what it is, that completely overwhelmed Yukimura in that point means it could destroy Irie. Irie, won't return Rai normally until he at least does what Yukimura used to return it, with the "grip" of his racket. Furthermore, if Sanada activates it, and uses stronger shots and versions of FuuRinKaInZanRai, I'm sorry but Sanada would completely overwhelm Irie.

I don't think troll mode Irie would win, Sanada would own him. Serious mode would be dangerous, but I see Sanada overcoming it with BA and winning. Is likely that Sanada will face Shuuji in G10 matches, and he needs a win since his last match. Sanad's true strength is too much, right now, Atobe, Tooyama, Akutsu, Shiraishi... Except Yukimura, who I think is no longer above Sanada, and Echizen who for sure is, no one can touch him. I see him defeating Irie with BA, Sanada is not like Atobe, he is LEVELS above him, he would completely destroy No.20 to No.6. The top 5 are different but I see Sanada defeating most of them, if not, Oni, Ryoga, Duke and Shuuji. Sanada right now is really really strong, probably the 2nd strongest Ms after Echizen and one that will be at top 3 of the G10.
Rai cannot eliminate blind spots so not counting whatever effect Black Aura may have (which is unknown) Sanada has nothing that can deal with World of Ice. It is almost certain that Black Aura can deal with World of Ice (it seems to be enough to deal with yips) but we just don't know enough about it yet.

Irie has an endurance of 2 and power of 1. Normally this would mean he'd be fodder for any racket busting moves and endurance type matches, but the game against Atobe really throws these stats off. Irie outlasted the endurance 5 Atobe in an endurance match, and seemingly done it comfortably. It seems to be implied that his superior speed/mental/technique somehow allowed him to shrug off a triple digit tiebreaker with still plenty left in the tank. Irie has a technique of 6, while the highest known value for a middle schooler is 5 (Tezuka), so since Rai has been successfully returned by good technique (Yukimura) there's no reason to assume Irie, whose technique score actually goes off the chart, can't pull what the best middle schoolers can do technique-wise.

Going by the flow of the story, it seems like Sanada is indeed expected to play #2 with his Black Aura and given Oni at #5 is in front of Irie (Oni finished #2 in ranking on the reserve team), one would expect Black Aura to be enough to overcome Irie. But there is absolutely no information on what the Black Aura does at this point so I don't think you can include it.

TheShiraishi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Irie has World of Ice Kaoz. Might want to add that to Irie's description.

Edit: And that "Emotion Sensing" power.

ashore

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
does echizen have everyone's powers he used before? we dont know if irie would use world of ice again.

also does sanada's In ( shadow) block irie from reading him?

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think there's anything conclusive on whether Irie's World of Ice effect is because he knows the same move, or it's a side effect of his ability to read his opponents. In would not work on the original version of World of Ice (the blind spots appears to be some intrinsic physical property as a function of where the person is standing and everything else around him) but should work in the latter case.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
From the description we got of In, it seemed to block Irie's ability. It's then a match of Irie base stat vs Sanada other techniques. I'll give to Sanada. I think it'll be about 7-6 or 7-5.

I know about troll/serious mode Irie. But serious mode Irie's power is pure speculation on the same level as Black Aura. As such, to be fair, I should either be

1. Saying that serious Irie=Black Aura
2. Disregard both of them from this discussion

Either way, from what I've seen right now, I don't see Irie winning this in the end. It'll a close match, but I think Sanada would come out on top.

Last edited:

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I forgot that In gave multiple behaviours and patterns, so if Irie tries to understa d Sanada's emotions and feelings, that won't work as he can change his behaviour and pattern with In and make him unpredictable. Trollmode is useless, only Irie playing at his fullest will give Sanada a hard time. We don't know if BA is as strong as serious Irie, maybe yes but I think Sanada's power and determination will make him win in the end for sure. Also, if he can upgrade Rai with his BA, then say bye bye to Irie, as it will completely destroy/kill his arm. Sanada wins 6-4 or 7-5, but I think that he will try to use his FuuRinKaZan and Rai, and then BA if it doesn't work.

What bothers me is how Irie can handle Rai and Ka as he is really weak physically, the only thing that saves him is technique but I doubt that he would keep up that much with Sanada's BA and in the end collapse, Sanada is stronger ohysically and probably has more determination and stamina than Irie.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't think Sanada will be able to win with just power, given that Irie can supposedly keep up with Oni.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I don't think Sanada will be able to win with just power, given that Irie can supposedly keep up with Oni.
Of course not, he has godlike technique that will allow him to return power shots, however, Rai can't be returned with the gut directly, so Irie has to use a method like Yukimura did in order to return it.

It's just that if Rai is really strong, and Sanada can power up it with BA, then I don't see Irie returning "Black Lightning".

Sanada has a really strong determination and willpower to never give up, he will come victorious in the end.

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Of course not, he has godlike technique that will allow him to return power shots, however, Rai can't be returned with the gut directly, so Irie has to use a method like Yukimura did in order to return it.

It's just that if Rai is really strong, and Sanada can power up it with BA, then I don't see Irie returning "Black Lightning".

Sanada has a really strong determination and willpower to never give up, he will come victorious in the end.
Technically, just because we've seen Rai breaking racket strings doesn't mean that it always will. BJK can break strings, but it doesn't always. You'll recall that neither Momo nor Kintarou have their strings broken, although both Hara and Taira do.

If Rai truly remains as a shot that can't be returned by normal methods, then every player at the level of Sanada or above will just be able to use the shaft of their racket to return it.

Fuji Shusuke

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I reckon Irie will take the win.

His technique, speed and mental are unbelievable. Having such high technique and speed means that he could probably return any technique that comes to him, including Rai. This has been proven when Irie returned Atobe's "Doukoku e no Gigue" despite having no prior knowledge of it. All techniques of the FuuRinKaInZanRai should be comfortable defeated by Irie. Heck, he even has World of Ice which is a very high level technique.

With Black Aura, considering the high schoolers weren't even phased by TMnK, I don't think Black Aura would be a problem for Irie.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Really? FuuRinKaInZanRai easily? Don't give that much hype to Irie, even if he becomes serious, I still think that Sanada can defeat him, and more now with BA, what it's sure that in terms of strength, stamina, and speed Sanada wins (BA might give an overall, amazing boost to Sanada's skills, probably like Tenimuhou). If Sanada without BA can make Irie to go all out, as troll mode won't work, and then Irie starts scoring in serious mode, but Sanada adjusts to Irie's true strength, and activates BA, I don't know what would happen but I think that BA makes Sanada's shots faster and stronger than Irie, so maybe Irie won't keep up or it'll be late until he adjusts to it.

Fuji Shusuke

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes, In would be completely useless. Irie understands feelings and emotions. No matter what play style or habits you uses against Irie, he will see right into your mind. If you can read someone else's emotions you know what they will do next.

ashore

Reaction score
Country
United States
what chapter indicates irie can keep up with oni? did they battle?

]
Just because you can see/predict the ball , doesn't mean you can return it.
just because u copy someone else's technique physically doesn't mean you will be able to copy it either.
i doubt irie could duplicate rai even if he understood it.

SUPER EDIT: Irie saw atobe kingdom, but couldnt replicate it or stop it directly

Last edited:

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the overall standings on the reserve team has Oni at #2 and Irie at #3.

That said it seemed like Oni had a way easier time against the replacement #5 compared to Irie versus #20. Of course there's the acting factor, but Oni just totally destroyed the replacement #5, and I'd assume that guy is at least G11-20 tier.

Irie is described as the guy no one wants to play but I got the feeling it's more like he's the #7 seed guy who can surprise you so you'd rather play the #6 seed guy who is better overall but has no surprises.

Still, Sanada has not yet improved beyond just being able to hit five balls at the same time, which isn't really much (Tokugawa can hit 10, presumably Oni can too). He's likely going to get a power boost when the Black Aura is revealed, but that hasn't happened yet.

ashore

Reaction score
Country
United States
we dont know oni and irie ever fought, its like saying number 1 and number 2 probably fought because they are close ranking. oni the other number 2 understands irie play style, but it dont mean they battled.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I'm voting for Irie... He was owining Atobe (and Atobe has shown more improvement than Sanada, he only got Black Aura and that only lasted 1 point).

Someone should call Fayte, this match is perfect for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.