Discussion Samurai swords banned!

mrcongojack

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
From Yahoo! News:
LONDON (Reuters) - The government said Wednesday it would ban the sale of samurai swords because the weapons had been used in a number of serious, high-profile attacks.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Home Office said the swords would be added to the Offensive Weapons Order from April next year, meaning they could not be imported, sold or hired.

However collectors of genuine Japanese swords and those used by martial arts enthusiasts would be exempt from the ban.

"In the wrong hands, samurai swords are dangerous weapons," Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said.

"We recognize it is the cheap, easily available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial arts enthusiasts."

The Association of Chief Police Officers said the swords were not a common weapon but they had been used in a number of significant incidents.

In 2000, Robert Ashman murdered a Liberal Democrat councilor at the offices of Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, who was also seriously hurt in the attack.

A year earlier, Eden Strang seriously wounded 11 people when he went on the rampage with a samurai sword at a Roman Catholic Church near his home in Thornton Heath, south London.

(Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Tim Castle)
Link to the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071213/od_nm/swords_dc;_ylt=AtlbcsvH47AGWCubPrB4JG8uQE4F

OhDearMoshe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well...it had to happen sometime I guess. I suppose the only saving grace is that not all swords are banned...

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hmm.. I guess it bounds to happen anyway.

I own 3 real swords, ermm yeah authentic ones. They can cut things easily :s
The law here requires me to report to the police every 3 months now (it used to be 6 months). I need to bring them with my license for inspections.

Much like you need to have a license and report to the police if you have firearms.

mrcongojack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every three months for swords!? That's a little over the top. I mean I would understand if that was for firearms, but for swords?

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Yes, I need to do that.... Nothing I can do about it though :(

There are 2 cases that may caused the rule to be enforced.
- There was a case where someone actually nearly killed his friend using a collector's sword
- Some collectors rent the swords they have, which the government feared it may be used by the wrong hands

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Not surprised either at this news. Though I think firearms obviously are more of an threat these days.

mrcongojack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I need to do that.... Nothing I can do about it though :(

There are 2 cases that may caused the rule to be enforced.
- There was a case where someone actually nearly killed his friend using a collector's sword
- Some collectors rent the swords they have, which the government feared it may be used by the wrong hands
I didn't think people were that desperate to kill each other...

Gameboy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
wow, thats not right. Some people just hang em for decorations in their homes. Now whats wrong with that.