Seinen Sangatsu no Lion by Umino Chika

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Not really the right place to ask about this, but what is Sangetsu about anyway? Is it like Honey and Clover even though it's on a seinen magazine (yes I know that seinen doesn't mean it has to be dead serious or gory).

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Sangetsu no Lion

It's a daily life series about a shy, slightly anti - social, 17 year old professional shogi player and his only friends, a neighbor raising her three sisters alone. It's a nice, quiet, thoughtful manga about life, friendship, family, and place in the world. Not for Gantz fans, maybe, but definitely one of the better manga out there.

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Re: Sangetsu no Lion

Is there too much of a focus on Shogi? I'd rather it just be a small part of the manga.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Sangetsu no Lion by Umino Chika

She does show some games, thus far (as far as scanlations go), they've never taken up an entire chapter. The focus is on the characters and their daily lives. Being honest, I'm a Chika Umino fanboy, and am quite biased :D

Laika

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Sangetsu no Lion by Umino Chika

3 Gatsu no Lion, or March comes like a Lion. May want to correct the spelling of the name here. It's a pretty nice mango, quite different than H&C. A bit darker, and moodier.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
[NEW SERIES] 3gatsu no Lion by Umino Chika

Another series by the same mangaka who did Honey and Clover! But this is classified as seinen so it's here.

Title: 3 Gatsu no Lion (March comes in like a Lion)
Authored by Umino Chika
Serialized in Hakusensha
Scanlation: ongoing
Raws : At MH

I would expect more of a guy's romance series, but it's nothing of that sort, mainly focusing on his life and thoughts. The story already started out as a bit unusual, a young guy who does nothing but just participating in chess games. I recommend this series to those who wants to read something besides the norm violence or horror. Anyone wants to share thoughts about this series? :amuse

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: 3gatsu no Lion by Umino Chika

It's a very good series, very thoughtful. More character driven then plot driven. Scanlations haven't gone far enough to really describe Sangatsu but it's mostly about coming to grips with the past and moving on. At least so it seems thus far. Don't expect big emotions, loud noises, and lots of action. It's a pretty low key, honest series. I enjoy it.

Negative Syndicate

OH MAN!!! I really love this series. Personally, I love this series more than Hachimitsu to Clover. I hope it'll get animation soon (well, it has high possibility to become animation because tank sells are high).

zillac

Reaction score
Country
United States

I'd wished the Honey & Clover can be longer.
The style of the new manga changed quite a bit, but I still like it pretty much.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

It's quite an accomplishment switching from josei to seinen. That it's a hit is a huge hit is even more impressive. I'm sure an anime or drama will come, not this year though. The fall season has already been announced. Probably next April or October. Considering how rare anime is for mainstream seinen a drama wouldn't surprise me. Maybe a live action movie.

zillac

Reaction score
Country
United States

was H&C Josei? oh I didn't know :p They all read the same to me.
I think the anime, drama, movies all has to wait for some time before there's enough original story to be based on.

Where is the new issue! lol

Laika

Reaction score
Country
United States

Manga classification is usually defined by the audience that the magazine that it gets published in is aimed at so it's not always really all that accurate. Look at how many series that are classified as seinen even though there's really nothing content wise separating it from a lot of shounen.

Anyways, the overall feeling of the works hasn't changed that much. 3 Gatsu has many H&C moments however generally I like 3 Gatsu more. I'd say 3 Gatsu isn't only about coming to terms with your past, but also about coming to terms with yourself and your own feelings. In that respect it's quite similar to H&C even though the atmosphere is a bit darker.

Last edited:

zillac

Reaction score
Country
United States

I think the author put more of her characteristic into the new manga: the cats talking and ojisan tachi (just like the professors in the last few volumes of H&C) : p

Compared to 3gatsu no Lion, H&C is more like every other manga. Of course, I like it very much.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

The last few (translated) chapters have been outstanding. Rei's childhood and how he came to be a shogi player was so bitter sweet. Chapter 10 is out!! Love the artwork, Chika - sensei keeps refining her style, this chapter was absolutely lovely.

Enn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I was following this before, but somehow my liking drifted away. But I still find the main characters melancholy relationship in everything (i.e. the three sisters, to shogi, to the place where he lives, etc.) interesting. I might get back reading this.

Josef

Dank Trump
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: [Featured] 3gatsu no Lion by Umino Chika

When I saw it, it seems like a typical manga that will win an award! :XD But the manga is really great despite that, the art is very special, the story can be better, but it really overall has a nice appeal.

MattC302

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

The shogi aspect is my least favorite part of this series. Rei's interactions and relationship with the Kawamoto sisters is brilliant though. The last few chapters with heavy shogi focus have been boring. This series should take a lesson from REAL for it's sport to character focus ratio. Or a lesson from Hikaru no Go or Chihayafuru in making a seemingly boring(to watch) game exciting for the reader.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France

Well I guess the average Japanese knows more about shogi than us. It didn't bother me to much as far as I remember. As for the art it is really cute, a bit like Saturn Mansion mangaka. When they are in the sisters house, it makes you feel the warmness of the house. And the cats are so adorable....

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I like translating this series, but a lot of lines are really low-context. So it becomes really hard to finish things. It requires a lot of looking up and checking before you can get through a chapter.

I know a good amount about Shogi and that's one of my favorite parts of the series, how they're able to include complicated strategic ideas but use them so concisely so the player can understand them. I play chess and go and shogi a fair amount, when I have people to play with. So it's nice to be able to relate on that level. You can learn a lot about people by playing deep strategy games like that with them. And I know a decent amount about what high-level play is like and what the kind of subversive thinking you need to use to play them is. At the point where people won't be making stupid mistakes, it becomes this artful and personal battle of two different strategies that involve finding the way to combat your opponent while maintaining the right defense to not be beaten and also the right offense so you can reach your opponent. Pressure, traps, risks, dynamic VS static, etc. And obviously, I need to follow it and understand it in order to translate it so it makes sense in English. It's also very important in understanding the characters, which you need to do in order to do proper characterization.

I'd really prefer to use the Japanese-style notaition though. The international version is stupid because Shogi is not Chess. It's it's own game with its own pieces, rules, strategy, and associated culture. Stuff like "Kakugyou" does not "translate" to "Bishop". They're different games that just have a few similarities. Not to mention we've had to put in notes to say "The Japanese version of notation doesn't indicate this thing that's required in the international form of notation so we're just ignoring it". Like the international form of notaiton requires you indicate drops, captures, and moves specifically, where the Japanese does not. Stupid exceptions like that in a vague attempt to make it easier to understand. I'm going to try to persuade the BWYS to just let me write it like I do 81diver. Just "2-2 Hi" rather than "2b-R" and such.

Though mostly this project goes slowly because the scanlators don't have much free time and they're real perfectionists about this sorta thing. There's a lot of waiting long periods of time for someone to get to a job. Once I finish a couple other long-term projects I'm doing I'm gonna try to go through this at a decent rate.

Last edited: