Discussion - SERIES ALL TIME BATTLE RATING (ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!) | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion SERIES ALL TIME BATTLE RATING (ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!)

Do you want a shipping rate?

• Yes

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
August vs Gildarts & Cana was pretty lacklustre.August could have used thousands of spells including Sleeping Magic or even Gildarts's Crash Magic itself but plot protection prevented him from doing that.

Acnologia vs Ishgar fight at the beginning was good.But it became pretty boring after that.None of the DS went DF.Infact none other DS other than Natsu did anything significant to Acnologia.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
"There are walls you cannot take down with only power..."

"However, if a power existed that could tear down those walls, it would be the Power of Feelings."

Natsu Dragneel vs Sting Eucliffe and Rogue Cheney
Score: 5.083

Highest Score: 10 x 2(@Lenny, @Arjuna)
Lowest Score: 1 x 3 (@Tirl, @Linali, @Gryffindor)
My score: 2 (wait... I hate my fingers, why must they press the wrong number?)

This fight... where to start? So, after getting thrashed by DF Sting, Natsu and Gajeel get up saying that they were faking the whole time and that they now know all of Sting's habits. Natsu then, like an utter dick, puts Gajeel in a mine cart and sends him away, challenging Sting and Rogue to a 2 vs 1. Whilst he's in base. And they're in Dragon Force. And he wins. Oh, and Mavis does some bullshit narration about friendship as it happens.

I don't care how much people try and explain this bullshit away, I will never not tear this fight to pieces. People often try and justify Sting and Rogue's loss to Natsu by saying that's just how weak they were, but I have a couple of issues with this. The first is that they were both in Dragon Force whilst Natsu was in base. No matter how weak Sting and Rogue are, Dragon Force should at least have put one of them near base Natsu's level considering the hype they got. Remember, Dragon Force was enough to propel Natsu from getting stomped by Jellal and Zero to trashing them. And before anyone says it, we have no reason to believe Sting and Rogue were using a partial Dragon Force, in fact Erza and Jellal both said that it was the same state that Natsu entered in the Tower of Heaven and against Zero. My second issue is that the "I saw through all of your habits" makes no sense being such a big factor because that only applies to Sting, he never fought Rogue 1 vs 1 so he shouldn't know his "habits", let alone the "habits" of a massively amped Rogue who can turn intangible. My third issue is that Natsu only won thanks to the bullshit of Second Origin, and while this technically goes for a bunch of the FT members, it really annoyed me here because he ditched Gajeel, the guy who actually trained, so that he could shit all over Sting and Rogue. Like, really? And this takes me to my fourth and final issue, the biggest issue... friendship lost. When you look at this fight from an outsider's perspective, what do you see? A cocky mage ditching his friend and crapping all over two best friends. Even if you look from an insider's perspective, friendship lost. Sting was fighting to keep a promise he'd made years ago with his childhood friend and he was fighting for that with his other best friend. And Natsu (and Mavis via narration) crapped on them for it.

Best Spell

Holy Shadow Dragon's Flash Fang

This was pretty much the only good part of the fight, it had been a while since a Unison Raid had been shown and damn did this deliver. The colouring of the blast is awesome, and I really like how Sting and Rogue did this because while we were bombarded with "Sabertooth mages only care about strength!", this was proof that Sting and Rogue actually fought for something more than that and were just as close to each other as any of the Fairy Tail mages.

Worst Spell/Moment

Base Natsu overpowering a Dragon Force powered Unison Raid with PoF

It's like Mavis and Natsu exist to ruin fights FFS.

Best Moment

Holy Shadow Dragon's Flash Fang

As I said above, this was pretty much the only good part of the fight for me. Sting and Rogue actually seemed like they had a chance here considering how powerful Union Raids usually are. Plus this is easily the coolest Union Raid in the series, that colour combination is just badass.

Overview
Victor: Natsu Dragneel, Fairy Tail
Losers: Sting Eucliffe and Rogue Cheney; Sabertooth

Invel > Zeref

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank goodness this trash fight is eliminated. Choreography was awesome but never hated Natsu more then when he gave Gajeel the middle finger and soloed the twin dragons. I said this example before but Imagine if you and a friend are partnered to perform in a talent show together. However, your friend thinks he can win the talent competition on his own so he locks you in a closet despite knowing about your claustrophobia. Natsu is so hypocritical when he lectures Sting and Rogue about friendship while being incredibly disrespectful to his own friends. The fight was BS and made Natsu look like an asshole.

Anti Hero 3:16

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its irony that natsu & gajeel vs twin dragons when 2 on 2 match was shaping to be one of the best fights but the last 5 minuted made it total controversial match. Instead of making it 1 vs 2 match, gajeel should have played a role in this. Both natsu and gajeel were definitely a league ahead of base twin dragons, there was no need to make them fodders. I mean in the end natsu should have used his lfdm mode and gajeel could have given the glimse of isd mode(which he would had mastered in next match with rogue). And after the end of the match while in celebration mode natsu would have pushed gajeel off the trolley, that would be hell of a funny moment instead of doing it mid battle.

Anyways I think next should be erza vs kagura & minerva or gray vs rufus. Both were fights full of POF.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Holy fuck, what a great post @MLG Bradman.
This fight was actually really enjoyable to me, the anime version of it. The fight was great, especially the 2v2 part of it at the beginning, and the Sting vs Gajeel/Natsu. After that, well... Meh. But still, the anime version is awesome, and i absolutely love the soundtracks.

But yeah, the fact that BASE Natsu was able to overpower two hyped DRAGON FORCE Dragon Slayers...
:nowant

And i need to keep in mind that this fight isn't Gajeel+Natsu vs Sting+Rogue, it's only the fight with Natsu alone against the Twins. Which means that i agree with the majority: this fight is utter trash lol.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I never really considered Sting and Rogue to be strong. Minerva was the best, and Orga has the strongest attacks. So the outcome is fine... just the way it was handled was disappointing. Gajeel and Natsu should've rolled them earlier for example...

The battles that've dropped so far indicate that we love asspulls ;)

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

I know im probably alone in this, actually im pretty sure im alone in this, but for me Natsu and Gajeel vs twins was actually a pretty entertaining fight
.... probably one of the best fights in gmg along with Yukino vs Kagura

im pretty well aware of the second half being kinda nonsense cuz of Natsu soloing, but that was Mashima wanking his fav to the max once again .... despite that it was still a cool fight sequence.

I really dont care about that dragon force bs, what it really showed was that Sting and Rogue were nowhere near Natsu's (Mashima's fav) and Gajeel's level

.... even that pink haired idiot stated that their power is "half baked". Like many villains, Sting and Rogue were victims of Mashima's constant villain hyping. He hyped them so much that people were expecting some top tier fighters who would kick FT's ass,

Last edited:

Anti Hero 3:16

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never really considered Sting and Rogue to be strong. Minerva was the best, and Orga has the strongest attacks. So the outcome is fine... just the way it was handled was disappointing. Gajeel and Natsu should've rolled them earlier for example...

The battles that've dropped so far indicate that we love asspulls ;)
Yeah sting and rogue definitely were weaker than natsu and gajeel as DS and minerva and orga in sabertooth, but they were not weak tbh. I think those two were more hyped and also were more famous (if I am not wrong anime mentioned it too) than ther other members of sabertooth. I think this is partly because both sting and rogue are DS (DS are very hyped in this series) and were part of 400 years plan. Not to say that DS have some insane potential as a mage if you look at there potential powerups like DF or even dragonification.(Can you imagine how strong sting would have become if he was able to dragonize, I would say he would even surpass gildarts). Didn't sting also defeated 3rd strongest spriggan albiet with some help. That just shows how powerfull his light shadow mode truly was.

Still it will not change the fact that that fight should have been a 2 vs 2 match.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I know im probably alone in this, actually im pretty sure im alone in this, but for me Natsu and Gajeel vs twins was actually a pretty entertaining fight
.... probably one of the best fights in gmg along with Yukino vs Kagura

im pretty well aware of the second half being kinda nonsense cuz of Natsu soloing, but that was Mashima wanking his fav to the max once again, it was still a cool fight sequence.

I really dont care about that dragon force bs, what it really showed was that Sting and Rogue were nowhere near Natsu's (Mashima's fav) and Gajeel's level

.... even that pink haired idiot stated that their power is "half baked". Like many villains, Sting and Rogue were victims of Mashima's constant villain hyping.
No I think everyone here will agree that natu & gajeel vs twin dragons were damn grat, but it became stupid when it became just 1 vs 2.

Lenny

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I honestly liked this fight: great coreography, awesome spells, relevance to the story (yes, it happened in the setting of the GMG, but it helped to restore the public's opinion of Fairy Tail as a guild and triggered Master Jiemma's reaction).
I enjoyed seeing Natsu stand on his own against two powerful opponents. It had been a long time since he had a solo fight against someone who could actually constitute a threat to him.
I actually thought that his sending Gajeel away from the battle was a good comic relief; Gajeel and Natsu have always been rivals and their argument mid-fight was incredibly IC!
Natsu's cocky attitude is perfectly understandable: strong opponents "fire him up", plus he is fighting mages from Sabertooth; he wants to win all by himself for Lucy's sake - we know very well Natsu's desire to avenge his friends, he can get very serious (remember when he has to be stopped by Lucy's hug from behind to challenge on his own King Faust on Edolas?). Moreover, Natsu is cocky because he can be such a big child (not so much in the last arc, but we're talking about GMG here)!
I liked that Natsu proved to us as readers that he does not need to always team up to save the day, that's the reason for my high score :)

For people who complain saying it's bullshit that Natsu can beat two third-gen dragon slayer all by himself... Remember that all the hype about Sting and Rogue at this point had been portrayed in a "Tell, don't show" manner!

sardinestunasalmon

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well the fact that the DS were fighting the human side while Erza, Lucy, Gray and the world got the dragon side....... just so Acnologia could die the same way as Lucia....... which was probably why he was given a human form anyway..... to me trumps all the bs of the actual fight.....

To me a minor adjustment that could have improved the fight tremendously would be to have the DS fight the dragon in dragon force. You could have the same bs (them getting stomped and combo enchant all their magic into Natsu; the true dragon king) but the fact that they would be fighting a dragon at full strength.... would be letting them come full circle from the Tenrou battle where they couldn't even stratch Acnologia. Plus it's the form that Igneel stole the arm off of.... so the giant arm where Igneel's scarf wrapped around Natsu.... would be more meaning as he would be channeling to Acno vs Igneel fight of Tartaros too (which you didn't get the feeling of since Acno was human).

Then Fairy tail plus the Allied Forces and Alvarez fight Human Acno in a manner similar to the Hades fight with the ending having Lucy cast fairy sphere with Meredy coming to assist. I mean even with Laxus giving Natsu lightening, it is one of the fan favorite fights.

There would still be "issues" with "eating magic/eating ravine of time" and "learning fairy sphere so fast" and how the DS battle went itself (with Natsu getting all spotlight) but just switching up what side fought which version would be awesome.
Acno shouldn't have eaten the ravine of times to begin with. He was already too op to begin with. Although I think Hiro just made it that way so Acno would have reason to split himself to give the non-DS some role.

But yeah I agree, the DS should've fought the Dragon form for the sake of DS vs Dragon and leave the human form to the non-DS which would make more sense.

The DS charging Acno one by one im base like some generic fodder is just the worst part for me in the fight. Hiro has proven he can write a good teamwork battles in the past. But I guess ending the story in just 10 chapters is what led to this disaster.

On a side note, does Lucy already have Fairy Sphere in her arsenal just like Cana has Fairy Glitter? It's actually pretty cool that Lucy has one of the 3 great Fairy Spells.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well the fact that the DS were fighting the human side while Erza, Lucy, Gray and the world got the dragon side....... just so Acnologia could die the same way as Lucia....... which was probably why he was given a human form anyway..... to me trumps all the bs of the actual fight.....

To me a minor adjustment that could have improved the fight tremendously would be to have the DS fight the dragon in dragon force. You could have the same bs (them getting stomped and combo enchant all their magic into Natsu; the true dragon king) but the fact that they would be fighting a dragon at full strength.... would be letting them come full circle from the Tenrou battle where they couldn't even stratch Acnologia. Plus it's the form that Igneel stole the arm off of.... so the giant arm where Igneel's scarf wrapped around Natsu.... would be more meaning as he would be channeling to Acno vs Igneel fight of Tartaros too (which you didn't get the feeling of since Acno was human).

Then Fairy tail plus the Allied Forces and Alvarez fight Human Acno in a manner similar to the Hades fight with the ending having Lucy cast fairy sphere with Meredy coming to assist. I mean even with Laxus giving Natsu lightening, it is one of the fan favorite fights.

There would still be "issues" with "eating magic/eating ravine of time" and "learning fairy sphere so fast" and how the DS battle went itself (with Natsu getting all spotlight) but just switching up what side fought which version would be awesome.
She must have had those special reading glasses Mashima seemed to forget about :redface.

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Thank you, @MLG Bradman, I agree with every word :clap

I don't hate any other fight in FT like I hate this one. Even reminding it is painful. It's the first time, when Hiro screwed power scaling and killed villain hype so much. Only for Natsu to shine. I also agree with @Star Frost - this fight kinda killed Natsu as likable character for me, since then I've been always looking at him through this fight. And it's not making him looking good in my eyes.
My score: 2 (wait... I hate my fingers, why must they press the wrong number?)
Don't be so harsh for yourself, Sting performed great in DF, destroing the floor of the arena included, so our boi deserved this one point ;)

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I don't hate any other fight in FT like I hate this one. Even reminding it is painful. It's the first time, when Hiro screwed power scaling and killed villain hype so much. Only for Natsu to shine. I also agree with @Star Frost - this fight kinda killed Natsu as likable character for me, since then I've been always looking at him through this fight. And it's not making him looking good in my eyes.

Don't be so harsh for yourself, Sting performed great in DF, destroing the floor of the arena included, so our boi deserved this one point ;)
I think the Natsu hype started with Brain.

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I think the Natsu hype started with Brain.
Really? For me Brain vs Natsu wasn't so bad, maybe because of Jellal being there and... well, just being there. Ofc, that may be a moment, when bs started to become part of his fights, but no other fight of Natsu makes me as mad as this one :-_- I guess it's also my fangirl's pride being hurt, even though Sabertooth were portrayed as bunch of assholes, I became fond of them and seeing them trashed like this made me hate FT with my whole heart for week.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Really? For me Brain vs Natsu wasn't so bad, maybe because of Jellal being there and... well, just being there. Ofc, that may be a moment, when bs started to become part of his fights, but no other fight of Natsu makes me as mad as this one :-_- I guess it's also my fangirl's pride being hurt, even though Sabertooth were portrayed as bunch of assholes, I became fond of them and seeing them trashed like this made me hate FT with my whole heart for week.
I didn't like Sabertooth from the beginning because they looked like knock offs but I think Mashima wanted them to look similar to show how they are alike. That and GMG was one of my least favourite arcs. I think the arc would have been better if it was focused on Raven vs Fairy then have Sabertooth as a seperate arc with Future Rogue. Although, I didn't like Natsu vs Twin Dragons because it was I felt like it was too showy.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

Completely agreed, Sting and Rogue's treatment was awful since we pretty much know for a fact that had Natsu been fighting for Happy he still would have solo'd. And I agree with both you and @Star Frost about Natsu, this fight single-handedly ruined him for me.
Good point, plus we got to see two of the best designed Dragon Forces.

sardinestunasalmon

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
#39 - well what you can say. I must admit that I love how Sting and Rogue was humbled in this fight. Never liked those Yaoi Twins. But base Natsu soloing the twins was ridiculous. Power level wise, I'm not sure if Natsu was just that superior or the twins is just real shit. I mean when Natsu and Wendy goes DF, they wreck their opponents who are stronger than them. There's no way Natsu is that superior to them right. Anyway this fight destroyed what was established about DF. I mean even Trunks and Gotenks in ssj is stronger than base Goku right?

It's funny though that the fights that had the potential to be top tiers are falling out like trash one by one lol..

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
"Move."

"So......you were E.N.D the whole time?

"Get out of my way!

"Looks like my voice can't reach you anymore."

Vs

Natsu Dragneel vs Gray FullBuster
Score: 5.4375
Highest score: 10 x 1(@Seraph)

Lowest score: 1 x 1(@BluePegasus)
My score: 7/10

And here we have the perfect example of a completely unnecessary fight in the grand scheme of things:facepalm Was this fight even needed? What makes it worse is that the whole of this fight was shown onscreen, while other fights in the arc were all offpaneled, and to what effect? I really can't wrap my head around that. Also, the fight itself achieves literally nothing in the grand scheme of things. Juvia dies, then Gray goes seeking out Natsu because he blames him for Juvia's death? What? How does that even make sense? :notrust And Natsu unlocks a new E.N.D form that never even resurfaces in the manga again because......reasons? All because Lucy was in danger? But she's been in danger several times before :oh
The fight just seems to boil down to some weird wish fulfilemt to the Gray vs E.N.D plotline that was completely shafted afterwards, which is why it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Best Moment
Erza stopping this Mummer's Farce

The LITERAL ending of the fight is the best part of it, that's a whole new level of sad, like, seriously. I know people give Erza crap for stopping this, but in all honesty she did the Lord's work here. Also, people were giving her crap for stopping two punches, were the punches mountain busting:-_-

Worst Moment
"And now....it begins...."

The fight literally is awful from the moment it begins due to half assed reasons. I don't particularly care whether or not the majority of it was a tie, because quite frankly, this should have happened under better circumstances.

As for the best spell and worst spell section, there were really no spells to choose from since a majority of the fight included nameless punches and kicks. It really was a snooze fest.

Victor:Erza
Loser:Natsu and Gray