Shounen - Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu

Negative Syndicate

IMHO, the current events in the manga could very well be leading to the climax of the story, so I wouldn’t disregard the possibility of Shiki ending next year.
But since manga version will have different ending from novel version, is there any chance that it might extend little bit further?

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
But since manga version will have different ending from novel version, is there any chance that it might extend little bit further?
Tbh, I don’t know. The current events in the manga remind me of the events that happened in FMA as the climax was approaching, but even after the climax of the story was over there were some more chapters in FMA so maybe Shiki could last a bit longer and end in late 2011 or early 2012.

The latest chapter, chapter 34, is out!! What a chapter this was. :cool: There were moments where I had to slightly move my gaze away from the screen because it was difficult to look at some scenes in this chapter and there were also some moments that got me a little teary-eyed. :(

The Shiki vs. Villager’s war is on! It’s payback time and the villagers are making sure the shiki pay their dues to the fullest.

Last edited:

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, I don't have it. I read the Edited Manga.

Last edited:

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Tbh, I don’t know. The current events in the manga remind me of the events that happened in FMA as the climax was approaching, but even after the climax of the story was over there were some more chapters in FMA so maybe Shiki could last a bit longer and end in late 2011 or early 2012.
Well I do think there's still a lot to happen, Shiki should at least be published till early 2012.

The latest chapter, chapter 34, is out!! What a chapter this was. :cool: There were moments where I had to slightly move my gaze away from the screen because it was difficult to look at some scenes in this chapter and there were also some moments that got me a little teary-eyed. :(

The Shiki vs. Villager’s war is on! It’s payback time and the villagers are making sure the shiki pay their dues to the fullest.
Yes, Maeda Motoko really has gone mad after loosing her whole family. I'm not sure why she betrayed her old friend but it was a very cruel move. I wouldn't be sad if she's going to die :notrust
Aside from these little sidestorys, I do wonder what's going to happen next. Sunako is still planning to turn everyone into a Shiki but it doesn't look very good. Seishin could be kind of a trump card, like Seishirou could be used against Sunako (if, like I think, Natsuno bite him).

Negative Syndicate

Well I do think there's still a lot to happen, Shiki should at least be published till early 2012.
I agree with you. The story progress for last couple of chapters have been very slow, and the story is going different direction as compare to original novel. So I think it going to take more time to reach its climax.

Also, raw for chapter 35 has released.

Negative Syndicate

Since manga version of Shiki is heading toward climax (I think), does anyone think whether it going to have similar ending with anime or completely different one?

Jaymie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Shiki's probably going to be ending in a month or two. It's not officially confirmed or anything, but the manga has reached the ending of the novel (which the Anime followed extremely faithfully bar Natsuno coming back to life, so the manga will most likely have the same ending).

To put it into perspective, Chapter 38 covers most of the events that took place in the second last Anime episode.

If we go by the four-chapters-per-tankobon pattern, there will be 41 chapters. But the final chapter may be extra long, or there may be an epilogue included, so there may only be 40 chapters.

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I wouldn't really want it to follow the anime ending though (I felt that ending was a bit wanting), so I would be totally cool with it extending a bit longer for a better conclusion... In other words, another tankoubon/45 chapters sounds good to me. Besides, I don't think they have to force the story to fit any certain number of tankoubon... Worst comes to the worst, there can be omake chapters/bangaihen ^^

Shiki will be ending in the following issue of Jump SQ (#7, on sale in June) :scry

Guess we all saw it coming already, but still, I will be sad to see it go.

Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Edited Mangas have caught up to chapter 40. Now there's only one chapter left to go. I wonder how this series will end, in comparison to the anime. I've heard it's largely the same (but I can't find raws...), which I guess is a little sad as I thought the anime ending could have been better. We'll see.

Also, I found Megumi's death in the manga a lot less gruesome than in the anime. It's not really obvious if Natsuno died there, whereas with that huge stalagmite impaling him, it's pretty obvious that Tatsumi's a goner even if a werewolf is hard to kill. That was also a little different from the anime
where Natsuno dynamites himself and Tatsumi

Negative Syndicate

I read last chapter through volume 11, and it was pretty similar ending with anime version. Only differences is what is third person's perspective on what happened to village.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Oh, that kinda sucks then... I was really hoping for something different. The build up to the ending was awesome in the anime and looks just as good in the manga, but if the actual ending is the same then... bleh. I guess that's the same ending that happened in the novel as well since apparently the only major difference between novel and manga/anime is that
Natsuno doesn't rise after he dies

fanatik

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Now it's really over, and I must say I'm disappointed. The evil still lives. We know nothing about how Ozaki and Sadafumi (the two humans I actually cared about) are doing, except for a vague 'they scattered all across the country, some suicided and some went mentally ill'.

And now I truly despise Sunako (she had decided to die, but is such an epithome of a coward that she went back on her own decision! despicable) and Seishin (wtf with trying to hide behind lame excuses like 'we're not human, hence we can't sin, even if we massmurder everyone around'?! friggin traitor of the humanity). I hoped the evil gets punished in some way, but instead it flourishes like never before, as Sunako got herself a new boytoy and even wierder ideas. Damn, I hoped that maybe Natsuno could survive and continue hunting that sick lolicon couple for all eternity so they wouldn't be able to hurt people anymore, but alas...

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
It's really a pity that the ending was what it was. After all, the build up was so good! It's a real let down :s But all in all, Shiki was still a great series - loved the suspense! I only wish the ending could have been better, and I guess with the manga being almost identical to the anime, there was no real "need" for me to read the manga (I was hoping for a different, better ending) :(

Seishin was the biggest disappointment, imo. I liked his character at the beginning until he decided to join the shiki side. Natsuno dying... Well in the novel after he died due to Tohru sucking his blood,
he was supposed to have stayed dead and not rise. I guess that's why although he played a fairly big role in the lead-up to the end, the mangaka chose not to keep him alive at the end to keep that part true to the novel?

I also didn't really like how there was no real "conclusion" to the whole ethical issue (of sorts) about whether shiki were justified in killing humans for food, which Sunako said was akin to humans killing animals for food (and that humans don't see any wrong in that).

Negative Syndicate

Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. I thought Fujisaki will write different ending because when he tried to get permission from Ono, she said that manga version to be different from novel. But, only difference is Natsuno got increased role, and that's about yet. I hoped him to do different ending from novel and animatino, but he did not.

Also, since Fujisaki finished Shiki, how others think whether Fujisaki will return to shonen magazine (Shonen Jump and Jump SQ) or move to seinen magazine (like Young Jump and Ultra Jump)?

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I can understand the ending being the same as the anime, since the anime was an adaptation of the manga (though it ended earlier than the manga did), but it's disappointing if it didn't differ much from the novel apart from Natsuno's increased role. That means Natsuno's "increased role" was really to please the fujoshis more than anything else, and did not make for a better ending.

I've never seen Fujisaki's other works, but I've heard Hoshin Engi is a great series, but vastly different from Shiki. So I guess whether or not Fujisaki will stay in shounen or move to seinen, would depend on what kind of series he wants to write next or adapt next. I think he'd probably stick with shounen though, since that's what he's done all the way (though I don't think Shiki would have been too out of place in a seinen manga either).

Negative Syndicate

I've never seen Fujisaki's other works, but I've heard Hoshin Engi is a great series, but vastly different from Shiki. So I guess whether or not Fujisaki will stay in shounen or move to seinen, would depend on what kind of series he wants to write next or adapt next. I think he'd probably stick with shounen though, since that's what he's done all the way (though I don't think Shiki would have been too out of place in a seinen manga either).
Well, I said Fujisaki possibly can moved to seinen magzine because of Shiki. Compared to his four previous series (Psycho+, Houshin Engi, Sakura Tetsu Taiwahen, and Waq Waq), Shiki is more serious tone and it easily can move to seinen magazine; plus, the computer graphic really suited for seinen manga series.

Furthermore, many authors who started from Shonen Jump moved to seinen magazine as their career gotten longer. Yudetamago, Takahashi Youichi, Houjou Tsukasa, Hara Tetsuo, Katsura Masakazu, Araki Hirohiko, Tokuhiro Masaya, Morita Masanori, Inoue Takehiko, Umezawa Haruto, Kiriyama Kouji, Tsunomaru, and Takei Hiroyuki, all of them started their career from Shonen Jump, but they soon moved to more mature manga as their career reached minimum 10 years. Fujisaki has been mangaka for more than 10 years, so I think it is possible that he moved to seinen magazine.

Although, there is still many mangakas stay in shounen magazine, like Akimoto Osamu and Kurumada Masami.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Definitely agree it's possible, but like I said I think it'd definitely depend on what kind of series he decides he wants to write next. I mean the main reason why mangaka like Inoue Takehiko moved to seinen was because their new series were too mature to be considered shounen (I don't think the kids who read JUMP would be able to appreciate REAL for what it is). Apart from whether or not he chooses to stay with shounen or move to seinen, I'm also interested to see if he will choose to adapt an existing novel/whatever, or write his own story this time.

Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

I'm also interested to see if he will choose to adapt an existing novel/whatever, or write his own story this time.
I think Fujisaki should just focus on remaking novels than making original story. He did total of five series and two of them (Houshin Engi and Shiki) are successful and his original series were failure. I think he is good at adding his own ideas into existing novel, rather than create everything from his head.